PB 27lb 4oz.JPG

Bootsy

Reaction score
I'd LOOOOVE to catch a good river carp. I've only ever caught one about 3lb /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif from the Avon near Bath (Claverton - same sess I had my 10lb Barble, check my Gallery) but I know the Avon has a few Long Dogs in it, especially around Keynsham, Bristol (I live in Bradley Stoke north Bristol). They go to 30+ in these parts. River carp are something special - less boilie gut, more muscle. From the look of your Gallery pics I'm right (lovely fish mate!) Guess they grow this way 'cause they constantly battle the flow. I bet they fight hard from the river, eh? Lean fightin' machines!

That 'noddy' sounds like a right plonker! Mind you, I've had enough trouble myself from swans at Wick. Problem is they stick thier necks under the water just infront of the line then surface again right behind it. Line gets around thier backs & they panic - before you know it you're waking up to a screaming run only to find out its a darn swan. God they are dum creatures! /forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif The geese seem more intelligent! Now I use back leads off the rod tips ALL the time - the only solution I've found even if it does mess with bite indication. Ah well. Its thier home at the end of the day!

By the way, find any solutions for the crayfish? Or is that top secret? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif I make my own baits from scratch & have come accross a few 'anti crayfish recipies. Heres one called anti-crayfish mix (half way down the page):

http://www.ccmoore.com/useful_information/01_recipes.asp

God knows how its meant to work. The only other solution I can think of it artificial baits but I have little faith in these. Tight lines!

wayne brooks

Reaction score
river carp are mental mate, i caught one and i thought it was a 30 + turned out to be 19 lb lol!! if you send me an e mail addy i'll send you the rest of river pics as i can't put them up on here as they are too big.(pics not fish lol)

the best way to avoid crays is to use zigs or surface fish. i still can't get my head around using plastic baits either( got a sandwich bag full of them in shed but have never seen the light of day)

i hardly use backleads nowadays unless i'm trying to avoid boats. most of the time i use a slack line and heavy line.

as for the swans or other birdlife then i'm quite mellow compared to some. i often feed them by hand hoping that karma might do its thing! one white duck ( always laughing ) over at wick used to come into the bivvy for food and would stay there all day. i think the other mallards were racist towards him cos he always got beat up!

if ever your over this way give us a shout and i'll show you where i catch from the river.

ps i can't remember wether wick has a close season?

Bootsy

Reaction score
Hey that laughing duck is still there! Theres a pale brown one (which always laughs at me when I'm packing up after blanking LOL) & the white one. I think they're called calling ducks. And yes they are tame!

Wick has no close season this year but they plan on closing all lakes next year (good job really) but not all at the same time, so there will always be somewhere to fish on the ticket. In fact the Carp at Wick spawned 3 TIMES this year - thats how messed up the weather has been!!!

I tried to email you my own email address for your pics but it said you've chose not to receive emails, or something like that. I dont fancy posting my address on this thread either. Still like to see your pics if theres a safe way though. Not totally sure how you can email safely on here. You? Can we send private messages? Just dont want the whole site emailing me.

Boots

steveo

Reaction score
Bootsy,If you want a BIG river carp then I suggest you have a look in Bath.For many years I drooled over a particular Carp(35+) that lives there,along with a few more good size fish.I used to feed it and tried a few times to catch it but jus had small ones and big Chub.

Where I hear you asking.

Well it wont cost you a penny to fish for it.

It will be a hassle though.

The venue is the Avon,to be precise you need to goto the Parade Gardens in the city center.These are along the edge of the river just below Pultney weir.Go up to the edgde of the river,lean over the railing's and prepare to be surprised.

There is a natural hot water spring that bubbles up through the margins of the river bed and a few feet out into the river.Its easy to spot its only 4ish feet deep.When you look into the bubbling water there are big fish of most species hanging around the warm water.

Why didnt I just take a rod with me and stalk it.Well for one thing the gardens are open all day to the public and fishing is not permitted.At night time various unsavory events take place and I wouldnt want to be in the garden at night.The Smack heads sleep in there also,not far from where the spring is.Your best chance would be to do a bit of pre bait and then Fish very early in the summer between 4-8am.people regulary feed the ducks by the spring and the carp will take flake etc but so will all the other fish..I have never fished the gardens for the carp cos I cant be bothered with the hassle of it and like to fish in peace.It is possible to cast across from the opposite bank but boat traffic will mean a re cast every few minutes which I have tried and it didnt work plus you are fishing on the river path so its mega busy in the summer.Also if you got a mate to stand by the railings you could cast over the river into the gardens and he could put a rig and bait on and drop it into the spring.I have not lived in Bath for a few years so I cant garantee that the fish is still there or alive but I still hear of carp being seen so Its gota be worth a look./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

And one other thing,have a look at the canal by Claverton/Dundas Aquaduct,I used to Barble fish alot in the river and often saw carp in the canal.I tried for them but again to to stressed with the boats,dog's,ramblers,kid's,jogger's, mountain bikes etc

All the best Steveo

wayne brooks

Reaction score
should be able to e mail me now boots.

one of the river swims i use is a hot water outlet from a power station, holds some decent carp/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif