Pod or Banksticks?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Paul in a perfect world we would not be having this conversation however I see far more anglers following fashion rather than using common sense regarding rod support systems and there uses.

Tell why do people use bankstick and have their rods so close they have to fold the handles of the reelsin ?.

Also why do people have the rods positioned so close to the ground that when it rains hard the mud gets splashed back up onto the reel ?. Even in a swim with loads of room ?.

Why do angleys use fixed lead systems them fishing slack lines and insist on having the bobbins sat on the floor. Surely if a carp picks up the bait and lead and travels towards the angler he would have no indication ?.

I dont know why people do this as far as I can see it is a fashion thing and has no logical reasoning behind it what so ever.

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
i dont find it that important to point your rods towards your lead direction at all. yes it will aid better indication but when you get a run, you usually know about it/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

PLUS, technically wouldnt in some cases your rods be almost parallel to the bank if you fished down the margin or to the side of your swim!!!!???/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

and as for folding reel handles, it is a joke and has NO advantages or benifits at all, just looks strange anyway.

GreyFox

Reaction score
Mostly use banksticks, though I do have a monster of a pod (Fox Skypod) which is versatile and useful.

Sticks are a bit of a disadvantage when fishing at range through heavy weed, the Skypod gives much better indication/contact with the business end.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
Greyfox,

Why would you be disadvantaged by fishing at range and through heavy weed? I can't see what difference it'll make. Your rod sits on the alarm and back rest either way, sticks or pod, it doesn't matter.

GreyFox

Reaction score
Sheer height available with the Skypod, Nick.

Butts can be waist high, tips 9, 10 feet or more in the air, less line on the water and less hassle with the weed.

Super stable, even when windy, sticks can't do that!

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hello Greyfox the same ca be achived with a Solar Worldwide pod as show in the previous photo you need to add a pair of long front legs and a longer center bar.

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>GreyFox wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Sheer height available with the Skypod, Nick.

Butts can be waist high, tips 9, 10 feet or more in the air, less line on the water and less hassle with the weed.

Super stable, even when windy, sticks can't do that! </blockquote>

yes they can.....

mind you, in the 70's the rods were 9 ft off the deck Darenth Twitcher Hitter Stylee. people used to practice the parralell bars on them when the fishing was slow /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

Ian - do you get many comments from clients about you not doing it the same way as they see in the mags/get told to on sites?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Frothey Hi Not to sure what you are asking really. However after talking to clienst at lenght prior to our time on the bank one thing is clear they are very keen to learn and ask a whole raft of questions covering every apsect of the fishing we are under taking.

I think a logical approach with common sense anwers will alway win over the sceptical angler.

Regards

Ian G

F

Frothey

couldn't think how to word it!

a couple of times when helping people out, they've things like you mentioned above - why arent the bobbins on the deck, rods close together, why aren't i using pineapple baits /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

even when you explain and demonstrate why, i still have the feeling that they'd rather use whats trendy. even after catching! i guess some would rather look good blanking than catch the odd fish.....

proof that logic and common sense never comes into carping fads lol!

Catfishingham

Reaction score
I haven't acquired any bite alarms yet, but as to rod holders I have mounted two, (only allowed two rods), on the side of a 5 gal bucket, I carry gear in the bucket, when I am ready to fish Iremove the gear, fill bucket with rocks or water, works any where hard ground, dirt, concrete pier, you name it, should work as well with bite alarm systems.

BapAndFuro

Reaction score
I use banksticks because you can move them around and move swims easily. Also they are easy to pack up - just pull them out of the ground! Sometimes I get a bit annoyed with the bankstick because it won't go into the ground. I guess a rod pod would be good in this situation.

B

Bully

Mmmmm - I guess my question is "does one put more fish on the bank than the other"? I suspect not, in which case what ever is easiest and/or cheapest.....

GertR

Reaction score
Guys.

Regarding banksticks what make would you advise me to buy?

Did not sell my pod and eventually now it came threw the post a very lightweight pod so i want to get myself some bankstics now too.

Having a lightweight pod and some banksticks would you say that i will maybe still need the Fox skypod for some situations like described above Weed and so on. And seeing that i am a tacle tart too?

aaron martin

Reaction score
tbh i would use my pod. IMO they are simple to put up, and they are more sturdier then sticks. my pod is indeed very sturdy, but it depends which pod youy buy, there are a lot on the market that arent very good at all. they would blow over if someone breathed on them. but some of the more expensive ones (not too expensive around ?40/50) are good as the ?100/150 ones. but it still depends on your preferation.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
****, that sounds brilliant! We always seem to forget that water is a very useful weight, ...and there's usually some about when we go fishing /forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif.

nik saunders

Reaction score
there is a pod that does all of the above , and the banks sticks screw into tarmac,keith fielding mps defient, i was lucky to 2nd hand one and it gives me the the range to fish bank sticks ,pod or screw in to platforms, its top class gear/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif