Polaroids

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Optilabs are the db's!

With you 100% there Fred and a great service. I have a pair and lost a lens, they were a good few years old. I phoned them up to see if they could repair them.
I was told to post them off to them, and they would see what could be done.

1 week later I got them back, repaired and a letter saying Free of charge, the lens should never have fallen out.

I also have a couple of Fox's glasses, and have found you need more than two pairs with different lenses. I think I can cover just about most situations.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Old age and many years of 'vigorous winking' has left me requiring prescription glasses. To cover all my needs, varifocal lenses are best suited.

I looked around for some while and decided on a pair of Catch sunglasses.

I took these along to those nice high street opticians who offer a bogoff deal. They took the frame insert and fitted a set of prescription lenses for me. They are brilliant.

Considering the cost of some other makes, this for me was a viably cheap way of getting prescription sunglasses. The three different clip on polaroid lenses suit most conditions.

Edit: My only niggle is that the yellow lenses aren't polarised.

Last edited:

XIII13

Reaction score
I would recommend Optilabs

Bought some last year. They did cost over £200, but are by far the best I've ever had for fishing. I got the Ultra 2000 lenses which are usable from dawn to dusk and the frames are very tough.

goldenboy55

Reaction score
I am so glad I started this thread even if it has wandered off in a slightly different direction, ie. optilaps and re-framing etc!
thank you all for you tips and advice (I'm quite comfortable to be seen as some kind of nutter if it means I can get what I need! LOL)
My original post was loosely based on a few reviews saying vastly over-priced polaroids are often no better or even not as good as so-called cheaper pairs!
I wanted ideas on how to check if a nice cheap pair would be value for money, I had absolutely no idea that the colour of the lens might determine the suitability for the use of the glasses (thanks Stealph Viper!) Again I discover that what I stupidly imagined was something simple, turned out to be far more complex. It appears polaroid is a similar term to hoover, and covers huge variations!
Perhaps I should have asked if anyone has a recommendation for an inexpensive, but effective for general fishing purposes, pair of polaroid glasses :)