Pole Advice for the match!!!!!

K

Kelvin Moore

Im going to be fishing the pole match in a couple of weeks and would like some advice!!!!!

Ive got two poles and cant decide which would be more suitable, one of them will need some work!!!

I have my pole that I use most of the time which is a Maver super lithium pole however this can only take elastic max. no 10. Ive never fished for carp on a pole so dont know if this will be meaty enough.

The option I have is turning my old tri-cast pole into a 'crunching' pole by cutting back and running an 18 or so through the top three.

I suppose Im looking for advice on carp fishing on the pole and if I'll need stronger than a 10 and if so, the 18 elastic one would be a good idea.

Hope this makes sense!!!

Kelvin

P

Peter Morton

Decisions/Decisions.I think i would go for the 2nd option.There is nothing worse than the sound of shattering carbon if the pole isn't up to it.Personally i wouldn't go over a size 12-14 elastic,unless they are real animals or they live in a snag pit.Make sure you set it up with the elastic through 3 sections and double up the last foot as extra insurance.Be warned,this sort of fishing can be so much fun it can become addictive. PETER

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I would take and set up both if there is a possibility that silver fish will be about.

If you are set up to catch carp but end up fishing for roach you are likely to bump a good number on a heavy set up.

You will still land reasonable sized carp if you take your time. People who win matches are those that put the fish on the bank, not those that get the most bites necesarily.

Having said that, if it's purely a carp water with match size carp, go with a 12 set up.

P

Paul Williams

I don't own a pole....it's running lines for me!!!! carp or nothing!!! that reminds me is Sedge coming?

M

Mike Fidler

Oh yes, he's paid! You do realise the curse of Sedgley will be on us all!!!

I'm going for a recce down at Clattercote tommorrow, I've been speaking to the baliff every other day this week, anticipating that he will have the good news that they open tommorrow, I will also take my kit down for a practice session.

K

Kelvin Moore

thanks for the advice, I think Ill go for option number three (which I didnt put in the first mail!!) which is to buy an out and out carp pole as Im sure Ill be doing more and more of this style of fishing.

Good luck to everyone on Saturday!!!!

Kelvin

D

Dave Johnson

,Mike-you said it was'nt open til Saturday.....
I think you will have to start two hours after everyone else to eliminate your advantage....theras, we could just peg you next to Sedge...........

lol

C

Carp Angler

I think either chopped worm and caster, pellet and paste, hemp and corn or riddled meat will score well.

C

Carp Angler

As they haven't seen an angler in about a month, I'd probably advise against balling in from the off.

They'll be hungry and want loads of scoff, but little and often will probably be better.

R

Ron Clay

Why not try the floating pole method. Short hook length, size 10, lump of breadcrust, ship it out and let the pole float on the water. The carp hook themselves against the elastic.

David Preston

Reaction score
Or the rattler.

Mind you, I won't be using any of them gadget rigs - just good, old-fashioned pellets, corn, lunchy, maggots etc.

P

Paul Williams

URRM,
can i use a method feeder....so long as i incorparate a float???? lol

K

Kelvin Moore

Ive just spoken to a few of the local tackle shops and they've both advised a maggot line and a pellet line, lots of tench came out before it closed and this time last year it was lots of tench again. Given its not been fished for a while they couldnt give much more detail.