Potential Perch Record Holder

honslow

Reaction score
As many times as you like Bob.

Your observations regards AT columnists/contributors are in all likelihood accurate (my history is limited to recent times, so I probably know less than you). However, none of those examples to my knowledgeinvolved dubious behaviour/actions during the session when a claimed record was caught.

I spoke to the captor. I suspect he might have told me a fib about where exactly he caught it. I'm not sure, but I have my doubts. As soon as doubts set in when you're dealing with a record fish then I personally feel it's only natural to start doubting other 'facts' surrounding the capture. If there are doubts about a claim then I for one don't think it should be accepted.

I don't think this has anything to do with who catches it and everything to do with having the mostreliable processes possible forverifying record claims. Which is why I would always argue for a network of regionalBRFC repsthat can verify claims on the bank. Gary's objections to this system are valid. However, if you don't want a rep to know where you've caught a fish, thenno one's forcing you tomake a claim.

Let's face it,how reliable is youraverageangler likely to be at weighing and photographing fish? I'd argue that it's easy to make a weighing mistake and that photographing a fish well is an art form. There are no photos ofthis perchon a mat next to a recognisable object are there? That's a BRFC recommendation.Such photos help remove doubts that arealmost always raised when the only evidence available is a trophy shot, and often a poor one at that.

And for the record, for the BRFC to pass a record knowing it was caught by an unlicensed angler would, in my opinion,be a step backwards for angling. We already seem to struggle for credibility with the likes ofpoliticians, television programmers and Sport England, without an organisation made up of reps from the various governing bodies, together with the EA and the Natural History Museum, being seen to condone license dodging!

So it's actually about the reliability of the verification process and those involved in it, not the fish or the captor. Tosay that it's only about the fish would, I'd argue (respectfully), ignore the wider issues.

honslow

Reaction score
And how did you know I was into Satanic rituals anyway?

As for 'guesting' Bob, I'd argue that there's a differencebetween fishing a deserted pit in the arse end of nowhere and targeting a Thames marina in London where there are signs stating no fishing (according to the management) and where you're quitelikely to be causing inconvenience topaying customers...

Personally, I think you should try and get permission to fish to such places. If you can't get it,then you can choose to risk it, but expect to encounter close scrutiny if youtry and claima record fish!

I'm perfectly aware that captors gain credence in the press for making captures of fishlike The Black Mirror from The Mere. Personally, I'm not going to condemn people for sharing their exciting accounts of such captureswith the rest of us when, arguably, they're causing no one any inconvenience nor the environment any harm.

I appreciate that I'm sounding outrageouslyhypocritical here, but I think that somewill probablyunderstand where I'm coming from...

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Tricky, ain't it?

Speaking from a personal viewpoint, there are more than enough holes in the 'process' of recording the capture to throw out any claim. I have no issue with that.

Regards "Guesting" -If I'm being absolutely honest, who really gives a toss?Without going down the 'all property is theft' philosophy, just show me an innocent man and he can cast the first stone by all means.

But don't invite him to dinner because he'll probably be the most boring man on earth...

Too many waters and lengths of riverbank are snapped up by selfish anglers who's sole intention is to prevent others fishing, to render the water under-utilised,rather than so they can actually fish them. Money talks, Joe nobody walks.They're no better than the RSPB and they deserve to be poached.

Anyway, I'm not aware the guy caught that fish intentionally - did he think, "I know, if I cast my worm in here I might just get a record perch." Bit far fetched, eh? He just chucked his bait among a few boats because, aswe all know, marinas fill up with fish in winter for some reason.

And he wasn't causing wanton damage, vandalising boats, writing graffitti, etc. He was dangling a worm. Big deal. Pity the prisons are full because we could have locked him away for a thiry stretch. That'd teach him.

Are these the same boats that cause outrage among anglers who's lines get swept away when they're speeding along and being driven recklessly? The same ones that match anglers fire maggots onto?

He who hath no sin...

No, it's been twisted into whether he had a license or not. I certainly don't condem fishing without a license but it doesn't make a record any less of a record either way. I don't condone paedophilia, and for all I know there could be several among record fish holders for all I know, but it doesn't affect the size of the fish. It's either the biggest ever caught on rod and line in Britain or it isn't. It's as clear as that to me.

The term fair angling is being misused here in adeliberate attempt toinfluence the decision of the BRFC. Why not add a new clause to the rules: "All claimants must be paragons of virtue in the eyes of the press..."

That'd sort it!

honslow

Reaction score
It's not just the eyes of the press though is it? I'd say we're probably giving a fair reflection of whatourreaders are thinking. I'm asking questions for an objective viewpoint (or at least I hope I am).

Yes, it's either the biggest-ever perch or not. It's about how that decision is reachedthat's important. I for one would be delighted if I had no doubts whatsoever that it weighed 6-2.

Fact is, as an angler (as opposed to a journo) it makes me really angry if blantent wrong 'uns achieve record status. And that has happened in the past, more than likelydue toa combination ofchinning, or mistaken,anglers and over-enthusiastic journos!

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
It's irrelevant now. Someone's had a seven pounder if you check out the Total Fishing site news!!!!!

Methinks this one will be chucked out, too...

BarryC

Reaction score
I know Perch are notoriously difficult to guestimate the weight of but surely this ones a wind up.

Trisantona

Reaction score
By law all gravid fish must be returned IMMEDIATLY,no photo's,no weighing./forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
That fish is not 7lb!

I've got morechance of sprouting a fanny thanthat fishhas of being a record!!!

No chance!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Steve.........fish very close to me on Sunday, just in case /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Ok Paul, but be gentle with me, just in case/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

It's the closest I'll ever get to a record Barry, unless EMI sign me up?

No chance of that either!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Gentle....is my middle name.

And vaseline should be part of any decent anglers kit /forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

YOU coming the weekend Wol.... /forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Oooooooooer /forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif