Predator Wars

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Real anglers, its smacks of much that is wrong in angling today.

For once I tend to agree with Graham . . . .

Having seen the inaugural trailers for the Carp fishing programme I have to say, and did at the time, that I was left unimpressed.

If those are the antics of "real" anglers then, I am glad that I wouldn't be classified as such . . . . .

Philip

Reaction score
Oh , that was'nt mentioned in the op, Mmmmmmmm ?:wh

Yes the idea of "payment" was conspicuous in its absence wasnt it.

Wonder what the "stars" are getting paid ? Ok I know us mere mortals are hardly worthy of their superstar status and just being in their aura should be payment enough.

Or perhaps we are there to actually ,you know, "catch" the fish ? ...I can imagine the stars will have their hands already full what with putting on the makeup and wardrobe so cant be messing around actualling "catching" things. Cue us minions ...we do the catching then hand it over with a bow of the head to the superstar to pose & grin at the camera with ?

Totally understandable of course. I mean what would be the the point of predator wars if there was no actual fish to go to war with ?
:D

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Personally speaking it's the terminology that puts me off, that aside I find the format quite interesting.

It's a bit like the adverts on the telly, they're all screaming like Hell at you in an attempt to be louder and more eye catching than their competitor but none of these marketing masterminds seems to have cottoned on that this constant bombardment gets unbearable and that they all end up throwing their money in a pit because of a simple little thing called a mute button.

Why do I want that in my angling and my relaxation, regardless of how ambitious I am feeling?

No, 'Wars' are definitely not for me but as already expressed I hope you find those that it appeals to and I wish you every success.

Point taken, but I think you'll agree that "Predator Fishing Competition" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. And "Fish Off" is taken.

Thanks for your good wishes - I hope you'll tune in when the show comes out and see if we manage to pull it off.

[Speaking as a marketing "mastermind", you'd be amazed at how few people actually employ the mute button.]

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
The Gerald Ratner school of public relations.
Excellent. Works every time.
Lol as the young folks would say.

What we mean is that there are certain kinds of fishing programme - the kinds of shows that are often roundly pilloried on these very forums but will remain unnamed - that we try very hard not to make. We strongly feel that that kind of show is made to please TV execs, who think that fishing needs to be souped up in the form of mucking about and the like.

We don't think like that, and aim to make programmes that rely on the fishing to provide the entertainment as much as possible, and that 'real anglers' as in, people who actually understand fishing, don't feel the need for that sexed up vision of fishing.

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
If this is turning in to some sort of commercial, race to the bottom bidding war I'll do it for a proper kebab and ten pints of San Miguel.

Then again I ought to be more adventurous and demand something other than an average Saturday night :D :D :D

How about a two pints and a cheese sarnie?

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
All of the members here could be classed as "sofa anglers" whatever that means unless they all log in here only when they are fishing.

Some anglers are forced to be "sofa anglers" through circumstances beyond their control, does that mean they are not "real anglers" do you not think they would love to be fishing more?

Real anglers, its smacks of much that is wrong in angling today.

We mean people who don't think fishing needs to be sexed up, that it can be shown blanks and all, and that competition and skill will always be more interesting than 'celebrity' or mucking around.

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
For once I tend to agree with Graham . . . .

Having seen the inaugural trailers for the Carp fishing programme I have to say, and did at the time, that I was left unimpressed.

If those are the antics of "real" anglers then, I am glad that I wouldn't be classified as such . . . . .

Did you watch any of the series? I think you'd be surprised: it was well received (and recommissioned).

Happy to provide some free tokens for you to watch a couple of episodes if you'd like? We're confident that you'll be pleasantly surprised by how few of the concerns you raised initially were realised.

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Yes the idea of "payment" was conspicuous in its absence wasnt it.

Wonder what the "stars" are getting paid ? Ok I know us mere mortals are hardly worthy of their superstar status and just being in their aura should be payment enough.

Or perhaps we are there to actually ,you know, "catch" the fish ? ...I can imagine the stars will have their hands already full what with putting on the makeup and wardrobe so cant be messing around actualling "catching" things. Cue us minions ...we do the catching then hand it over with a bow of the head to the superstar to pose & grin at the camera with ?

Totally understandable of course. I mean what would be the the point of predator wars if there was no actual fish to go to war with ?
:D

My, what cynicism, and without even having properly read the information.

We don't use the word "star" anywhere in the description of the programme, just the word professional.

And there's no deference to the pro's. Series one of Carp Wars was won by the 'rookie' Harry Pratt, and he did that by out-fishing the likes of Dave Lane, Ian Chillcott, Ian Russell...

In Series 2 of Carp Wars the rookie... well, I can't give it away yet.

But Harry has gone on to build a bit of a sideline career in the fishing world, and it looks like Steven, this year's probably will too - we've been instrumental in helping this to happen, both by giving them their break and in practical terms.

Cheesy though it may sound, the amateurs are at least as important as the professionals in these programmes, since park of the idea is to demystify the sport a little.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Happy to provide some free tokens for you to watch a couple of episodes if you'd like?

A generous offer, although one I will pass all the same.

I will view one of the programmes (and pay for it myself) as that way I will maintain my independence, and associated right of critical comment if or when necessary.

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
A generous offer, although one I will pass all the same.

I will view one of the programmes (and pay for it myself) as that way I will maintain my independence, and associated right of critical comment if or when necessary.

That's absolutely fine - thanks for giving us the chance.

Of course, you may hate the format, but I hope that after viewing an episode or two you'll agree that the angling on display is pretty good, and many of the concerns regarding whooping and hollering, fish care and that sort of thing were misplaced.

If you'd like to send feedback privately you can send it to me personally george@fishingtv.com.

Philip

Reaction score
My, what cynicism, and without even having properly read the information.

We don't use the word "star" anywhere in the description of the programme, just the word professional.

And there's no deference to the pro's. Series one of Carp Wars was won by the 'rookie' Harry Pratt, and he did that by out-fishing the likes of Dave Lane, Ian Chillcott, Ian Russell...

In Series 2 of Carp Wars the rookie... well, I can't give it away yet.

But Harry has gone on to build a bit of a sideline career in the fishing world, and it looks like Steven, this year's probably will too - we've been instrumental in helping this to happen, both by giving them their break and in practical terms.

Cheesy though it may sound, the amateurs are at least as important as the professionals in these programmes, since park of the idea is to demystify the sport a little.

Yes your right I did inadvertantly use the word "star" when the ad said "professional". Apologies for that but I am pretty sure you know what I meant.

Also talking of not reading things...if you had read to the very bottom of my previous post you will also have noticed a green smily face ":D" this denotes a ha ha/tounge in cheek comment. Lifes not that serious is it.

My offer still stands by the way - if you pay me a huge stack of cash I'll apply ...heck I bet I am also one of the few on here who actually owns his own Kayak and has fished from it...which your ad also specified as a nice to have.

I recon that that warrents an even bigger stack of cash !!!! ....special skill aint it ...those dont come cheap ! ...I'll accept a chequeue if that helps ?

>>>>>>>>>>:D<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
How right you are - I missed the grinner on your first post - appologies for my hasty words.

I'm afraid I've had a better offer of "Ten pints and a proper kebab", so unless you can beat that, the job might go to Binka...

Philip

Reaction score
I'm afraid I've had a better offer of "Ten pints and a proper kebab", so unless you can beat that, the job might go to Binka...

He forgot to mention by "proper kebab" he means from room service in a 5 star hotel in Istanbul during a weeks paid vacation.

...oh and the 10 pints is from the mini bar so liquid gold would be cheaper....;)

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I think I would be perfect for this.

I hope you've got Paul Monaghan and Ian Crook lined up as Professionals. Crooky is a barrel (of laughs as well)

I would add a bit of realism to events.

But unfortunatly waiting for a Slot on Passion for Angling 3 to be made now the Passion between the two has come in the way.

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
I think I would be perfect for this.

I hope you've got Paul Monaghan and Ian Crook lined up as Professionals. Crooky is a barrel (of laughs as well)

I would add a bit of realism to events.

But unfortunatly waiting for a Slot on Passion for Angling 3 to be made now the Passion between the two has come in the way.

The pro's are:

Ant Glascoe Jr
Babs Kijewski
Jonny Stephenson
Matt Boast
Jo Stephenson

Do send in a video if you want to enter - we'd love to have as many as possible
get involved!

flightliner

Reaction score
Gearge, forgive me saying but I would have thought some of the pros in your team would have been known predator men such as Fickling, Amie's and the like-- are they not available ?.
To be honest I've not heard of anyone in your pro crew, that's not to say they have'nt any form as pike perch zander whatever anglers .
That said I'm genuinely interested in seeing your finished programme after reading your last few comments as they seem to be in sync with what I would like to see in programme of this nature.

fishingtv

Trade Member
Reaction score
Gearge, forgive me saying but I would have thought some of the pros in your team would have been known predator men such as Fickling, Amie's and the like-- are they not available ?.
To be honest I've not heard of anyone in your pro crew, that's not to say they have'nt any form as pike perch zander whatever anglers .
That said I'm genuinely interested in seeing your finished programme after reading your last few comments as they seem to be in sync with what I would like to see in programme of this nature.

Matt Boast is a Shimano team angler who regularly competes in predator comps in the UK and Europe, including captaining the top UK team at Rotterdam's first 24 hour iron man street predator fishing competition.

Ant Glascoe Jr is another professional angler, though his work is more in terms of product development and consultancy, but he's also been in a number of TV shows, including Tight Lines.

Babs Kijewski is probably the most famous angler in Germany and has also appeared in a number of UK-based fishing shows, including Matt Hayes' 24 Hour Rod Race. She has 10K instagram followers and her Facebook page has 86K Likes.

Jo Stephenson appeared in the BBC show Earth's Wildest Waters: The Big Fish, making it as far as the semi final. She's ties flies commercially and is a sponsored angler for a number of brands.

Jonny Stephenson is a professional predator angling guide based in East Anglia and lifelong kayak fisherman. He's also, coincidentally, married to Jo.

While I can understand why you might like some of the people you mention we're keen to avoid having six fat old white dudes doing the fishing, in order to lend a bit more bite to the programme. Our casting is based on fishing ability, but just as importantly, ability to entertain, and for the way that we think they will interact with each other on screen.