Problems with spade hooks.....

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm still trying to work out if he knows his left hand from his right !!

I can see it's a very secure knot, BUT does a spade end knot NEED 12 turns ??

Don't think for a minute I'm decrying what is shown. Anything new is difficult to follow first off but I know I would have trouble tying this on anything smaller than a 12 or so..

Binka...Have you actually tied a 16 or so ??

B

binka

Binka...Have you actually tied a 16 or so ??

Hi Tee-Cee,

Yes, I am usually ok down to an 18 but start to struggle after that although it's so rare for me to go that low it's hardly an issue, I've never used a hook tying machine.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I really hate these clever types who take up such as 'hook tyer gismos' and run off 2 dozen in 10 minutes. I, even after many goes and totally sober, still find the 'one and only original' tyer more than a little testing !!

It's not the actual tying, but more that the finished product (with line running perfectly straight from the hook) that gives me the gip. I want PERFECT and the only way I can get this is tying my own by hand, but I also know the mince pies are not going to last forever...........

I think I'd better start laying by some stock !!

ps Great thread IMHO with good sensible discussion and ideas..

bracket

Reaction score
Tee-Cee. Just to reassure you, I do know my left from right. Possibly a mistake, but I filmed the video in reverse view, thought it might be easier for the viewer to follow. No you don't need 12 whippings to secure a hook, Ivan only ever used three. I was trying to show what could be done with the correct finger positions and grip. Having said that, I would always put 12+ whippings and leave a long tag, on hooks for speed fishing with a whip. It helped stop the maggot from being blown up the line, enabling up to 10 fish to be taken before a bait change was required. Pete.

wes79

Reaction score
Managed to get the Matchman Hook Tyer (No1180975) MPH ASSOCIATES written on it, the instruction are in French but the drawings are in English :D still ended up watching the vid while using it though :w. took a few goes to get going and found having clean (non greasy) hands worked best.

So far I've made about 10 "out of the packet" hook lengths, quite chuffed, tried one out for a snap to see and it was super strong (snapped at knot junction of the loop end), can't wait to give em a cast, I have to say the line running straight with the hook shank is something I'm not used to, presentation looks very good, glad I bought it.

Thanks team!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
wes79.....My Matchman Hook Tyer is No 1180976 and not 975, and instructions are in English so I reckon you've been down the 'dodgy market' again !!

bracket....Point taken..I probably need to watch the video a few more times and then make a concerted effort to tie a few........Thanks for the explanation !

ravey

Reaction score
Pete (Bracket) showed me his way to tie shortly after he moved from Nottingham, and I've used this way ever since (long drive down to see him, though! Before t'internet); thanks, Pete! I had a few 'niggles', but eventually got it sorted.

Even tiny hooks and gossamer lines are do-able with pratice, if your eyes are up to it, although I don't go smaller/finer than 24/.08 any more.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I use the match an hook tier and believe spade end hooks are on the whole, far superior to eyed hooks. I use them down to size 8 when after big perch with lob worms or big pieces of flake for chub.

bracket

Reaction score
Hello ravey. Nice to hear from you. I well remember your visit to the backwoods. A lovely summer's day with fine sun light. Perfect for a demo' in hook tying. Glad you mastered it in the end. Anyone prepared to make a 400+miles round trip deserves to succeed. Out of interest, who was it put you on to me, you never did say? Pete.

robertroach

Reaction score
Have just bought a matchman hook tyer to see if it can do my spade ends better and I must admit I can't get the hang of it at all. I have tried it a few times and gone back to doing them by hand. Much easier.
Maybe I will try it again tomorrow before binning it. It obviously takes a bit of getting used to.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I watched a video of the Drennan Hook Tyer in action and it does look a little easier, but I'm still having trouble getting my head round the whole process...

robertroach......If my attempts are anything to go by it will take more than a 'bit of time' to get used to !!
Strangely, I'm pretty good with my hands what with float making etc., but I still find the MHT tedious...

Anyone tried the Drennan job ??

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I suppose if you have tarts fingers it probably makes it easier......my little chubby jobs are not fit for purpose !

No, I shall get it right if it takes a month - I will not give up !!

ravey

Reaction score
Hi Pete (Bracket), it was Jim Terry who set things in motion, a Yorkshireman who moved to Calverton in 1989 to be closer to the Trent (!). Do you remember him? He's since moved back to God's own, but we still keep in touch.

He used to get his smaller hooks tied by your good self because his eyes were starting to deteriorate for close up work, although I can't remember him ever telling me how he found out about your services - maybe through Gerry's? I'll give him a call later - we could do with a catch-up anyway!

I recall that he gave me some that he had had 'done' (24 B510s to .08 Ultima if I remember correctly). Me being curious, and reliant on my own hook-tying (using the Matchman tyer), I compared the two for strength, and found that yours never broke at the knot whereas mine always did - meaning that yours provided consistency and 'full' strength. That was a bit of a shock/breakthrough for me, and led to me 'pestering' you to show me - even if it did mean a long drive! As mentioned already...much appreciated!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I suppose if you have tarts fingers it probably makes it easier...

Tony, after your keen interest in seeing a picture of a Drennan Reverse taper peacock waggler on another thread, I'm surprised that on our previous first acquaintance at your lake,I showed you the very float in the flesh.
Now all you remember is my tarts fingers....:confused:

bracket

Reaction score
Hello ravey. Wow Jim Terry, there is a name from the past. I remember him well, please give him my kind regards when you phone him and tell him I am still putting a stick float through, but now it's the Frome not the Trent and the catch is grayling. Pete.

mick b

Reaction score
Hello ravey. Wow Jim Terry, there is a name from the past. I remember him well, please give him my kind regards when you phone him and tell him I am still putting a stick float through, but now it's the Frome not the Trent and the catch is grayling. Pete.

Ah, another thinking angler to choose the Wessex rivers over the Trent.

All we get are lovely Grey Ladies and not a tattoo in sight.

:D

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Have just bought a matchman hook tyer to see if it can do my spade ends better and I must admit I can't get the hang of it at all. I have tried it a few times and gone back to doing them by hand. Much easier.
Maybe I will try it again tomorrow before binning it. It obviously takes a bit of getting used to.
Don't bin it!

Send it to me! :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Simon.........It should have read " if 'one' has tarts fingers " so apologies for what read as 'your' fingers !
.......although how would I know about your fingers anyway - we've never held hands !!

I remember the 'reverse float' you showed me - maybe the same animal was used when you cleaned up at a ' Windsor match ' not too long a go ??

Over the winter I shall have another try at making some, if I can get the peacocks straight enough, although a bit of a curve is still okay...

ps Not sure if you made the one I saw ??

pps Must have another look at that Thread you mentioned !!

Last edited: