Pulla bung with solid elastics?

rayner

Reaction score
Personally I have both hollows and solids in my top kits all with side pullers, Both work perfectly.
The pullers only job is to shorten the elastic, there's nothing too technical or tricky. They are only there to help us or me in particular use lighter tackle and cope with the odd bigger fish.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
If i remember correctly pulla's were first made to help land big fish during netting to save having a top 6 in the air and breaking sections.
Now days you see anglers hitting a bite and immediately stripping yards of elastic out.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
That's one of the reasons I have gone to a margin pole, the pole and three top kits fit in one tube, a bacon box of pole rigs, that's all folks. Okay you can add all sorts of paraphernalia to that but because the pole is short and cheap you don't have to. I always have a ready made feeder and pellet waggler with me so I have all bases covered with the minimum of gear.

I had a match today, I left my pole at home because it was mainly an open water venue, I took 4 ready made up rods, 1 pellet waggler , 1 method feeder, 1 ordinary light line waggler, 1 pellet feeder, and a margin pole,
both the method and pellet feeders were Prestons ICS systems meaning I could change to a straight lead without
removing hooklength, Needless to say the fish spent most of their time sunbathing,

rayner

Reaction score
If i remember correctly pulla's were first made to help land big fish during netting to save having a top 6 in the air and breaking sections.
Now days you see anglers hitting a bite and immediately stripping yards of elastic out.

Bang on, pullers are to help with landing bigger fish than a lighter setup would normally be used for. They are not made to bully fish from the water to my mind.

nottskev

Reaction score

I was on one lake, watching an angler nearby on an adjacent lake. I wasn't catching much, so it really spoiled my day to see him endlessly stripping yards of white elastic as he bagged up with what I assumed to be a succession of big fish. As I walked past him, having packed up, I asked what he'd caught - some stockies and tench around the pound mark. So what's with all the elastic, I thought, but I didn't ask. Turned out I'd actually caught more- although not much elastic had been involved - and needn't have spent the afternoon with an inferiority complex.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Kev, some anglers who have them fitted, think they must use the every time, I would rather let the elastic do the
work first, before I decided whether I needed to use mine, I have seen an angler start stripping a size 10 elastic as soon as the fish made a run and he was doing it that fast and really pulling on it, then snap ... the elastic not the line has snapped.Meaning to me his line was overgunned for the size of the elastic,

nottskev

Reaction score
Kev, some anglers who have them fitted, think they must use the every time, I would rather let the elastic do the
work first, before I decided whether I needed to use mine, I have seen an angler start stripping a size 10 elastic as soon as the fish made a run and he was doing it that fast and really pulling on it, then snap ... the elastic not the line has snapped.Meaning to me his line was overgunned for the size of the elastic,

I have to admit, Mark, I don't have a single kit fitted with a puller, and I use poles for all kinds of purposes. I even posted a pic of a fair-sized Derwent barbel deliberately caught on one. But since I'm not fishing matches, and rarely target carp, I don't need to fish with under-gunned gear and use soft elastic and pullers to manage the fish. They aren't needed for any other species, as far as I can see.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Kev I have 5 kits with side pullers , 2 have preston slip solid in them the other 3 preston hollo and dura hollo,
I rarely use them,my other 2 kits are on storer bungs, If I fish down the side depending on the venue I will use my main pole, I don't go under gunned even with pullers, I cant see the point of having yards of elastic in your hand
when playing a fish, the only time I will target carp is on a commercial in a match and even then I let the elastic do the work and not bully the fish in,my match kits are rated to 16, and power kits to 20, and there is no way I would have Diaflash topkits wrapped to have pullers fitted :wh

nottskev

Reaction score
there is no way I would have Diaflash topkits wrapped to have pullers fitted :wh

Nor me neither, Mark - kits for these poles have some with Middy 6-8 (bream in deep water); doubled 4 or 5 ( mixed roach, tench, crucians, odd carp) and the rest 5, 4 or 3 for traditional mixed fishing.

If I think I need heavier gear I have a Beastmaster Margin with doubled 6 or black Hydro, or an as yet unused Tri-cast Trilogy Margin with some heavier Hydro in the tops.

If I want to go for things like hefty carp, I'd really rather use a rod and pin - just feels more satisfying than steering them around on the end of a bungee.

rayner

Reaction score

Fishing with unbalanced lines to elastic is a simple way to break a pole section.
The heaviest elastic I use is an hollow 10 for margin fishing, generally I use a 5 to 10 for silvers. Lines are .10 for silvers max and .14 for margins.
If fish were bigger I would step up but would suffer from less bites. That to me would be counter productive.

rayner

Reaction score

Fishing with unbalanced lines to elastic is a simple way to break a pole section.
The heaviest elastic I use is an hollow 10 for margin fishing, generally I use a 5 to 10 for silvers. Lines are .10 for silvers max and .14 for margins.
If fish were bigger I would step up but would suffer from less bites. That to me would be counter productive.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
If the margins are coloured through the fish grubbing about you could step up in line dia,without suffering less bites.
but make sure elastic is the correct rating, there is usually a cross over between ratings and line dia,
I have around 1.5"excess elastic coming out from my side puller, this has a soft rubber bead on it as well as the connector the knot sits inside, the bead is there to set the tension on the elastic similar to being on an ordinary ladder bung,

Richox12

Reaction score
....the stretch factor of some hollows is phenomenal, so assuming it was through a power kit at an average length of 2.6 metres, that elastic would go for at least 30 metres before bottoming out t

2.6m - 30m ? 1050% stretch ???

rayner

Reaction score
If the margins are coloured through the fish grubbing about you could step up in line dia,without suffering less bites.
but make sure elastic is the correct rating, there is usually a cross over between ratings and line dia,
I have around 1.5"excess elastic coming out from my side puller, this has a soft rubber bead on it as well as the connector the knot sits inside, the bead is there to set the tension on the elastic similar to being on an ordinary ladder bung,

I should point out all my fishing is up in the water, that is apart from the odd occasion I fish the margin.
The water is generally coloured in warmer months but very rarely thick as it is when fish are routeing out morsels from the mud.
To my mind light tackle equals more bites, don't think I haven't tried to go for a stronger grade of line. I'm convinced my preferred choice of lighter lines and smaller hooks keep me more busy. Plus I'm in no rush to land fish, getting fish out quicker to me is not a skill I need.
Of course anglers with less confidence should step up diameters as you say.

rayner

Reaction score
I know quite a fair number of anglers who are against hollow elastic for the reason it stretches too far. An elastic that doesn't stretch so much would not help how I fish.

For years I steered clear of any type of puller because of my limitations, I was more or less talked into using one by a top angler who when he was younger fished with me on a regular basis. I bumped into him in the tackle shop a couple of years ago and after a chat he explained to me the benefits of pullers.

OK hook a carp of only around 5 or 6lb and the elastic will go a long way out. One things for sure, I have never lost a carp on hollow elastic because of a brake even though they take an age for me to land on my set up.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
So pole, 2.6m of top kit with 2.6m of hollow elastic inside and then ANOTHER 27m of bottomed out/stretched elastic outside ????

put some 11h through a topkit, start to pull on it and see how far you get, Don't forget 16 metres is more than 16 yards, then add on how far the elastic has gone, and you are not far off 30 yards,
Preston 11h is one of the elastics that seems to stretch more than others on a size ratio, I know some good sponsored club anglers who wont use it, I removed it from my topkit after seeing the way it went,

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
So pole, 2.6m of top kit with 2.6m of hollow elastic inside and then ANOTHER 27m of bottomed out/stretched elastic outside ????

Frenzee hollow elastic has a stretch factor of over 700% and Senas magic latex which is a solid elastic has a stretch factor of over 700%,Sensas Crazy hollow has a stretch factor of over 800%, I did the stretch length in Yards not metres, the top kit length was in metres,

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
put some 11h through a topkit, start to pull on it and see how far you get, Don't forget 16 metres is more than 16 yards, then add on how far the elastic has gone, and you are not far off 30 yards,
Preston 11h is one of the elastics that seems to stretch more than others on a size ratio, I know some good sponsored club anglers who wont use it, I removed it from my topkit after seeing the way it went,

So you mean 30m distance INCLUDING the pole and not 30m of just the stretched elastic