Purely for Pleasure

P

Paul Williams

Coop's,
An enjoyable read, i think we may all have to have a rethink on our trips this year and your article made me realise how long it has been since i caught a decent crucian, they along with big perch and roach are the stuff my child hood dreams were made up of!
It looks like we may have to look more to stillwaters for our enjoyment this year and crucians are definatly going to be on my list....thanks for reminding me!

A

Andy Thatcher

Crucians are a species I have never gotten to grips with, have I tried ! Trouble is I have not found a place worth fishing for them in Beds or Herts !

P

Paul Williams

Andy,
Part of the fun is in finding the water.....there are so many ways, i still get the ordance survey map out from time to time just to remind myself what all those little blue spots turn up, i'm sure you wouldn't have to look to far in your area!

A

Andy Thatcher

True that's why most of my fishing is done on little club waters and the like. That approach has worked for me in Suffolk but Herts & Beds have a fair few fishermen in !

M

Mike Fidler

Paul, I know a very good crucians water but I didn't think you lot were interested in them. Mail me on Swag and I'll tell you about it.

D

Dave Johnson

count me in Mike-used to love crucian fishing on farm pits

G

Goose Ganderton

I have to say that the one species i have never caught or indeed fished for is the Crucian. After reading Dave's article I will defenitly have a go for them this summer. So where are the best waters for them?

P

peter webber

Theres a water near me that has just been stocked with Crucians and other carp.
The owner has said that some of the carp are 20lb+ and the crucians go to 2lb+.
I will be giving it a lot of my fishing time this year in the hope of a few Crucians ( i've never caught one before ) and i've never had a carp of any where near 20lb before.

Pete.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Peter/Goose

You are both Kent lads aren't you? Almost every pond I fished as a kid around the West Kent, East Sussex border used to have good number of crucians in. I can't believe they have all gone. It would be a tragedy if they have.

Look for the small, farm type ponds if they still exist. As long as they haven't been stuffed full of pasties by short sighted clubs and farmers they should still have a head of crucians.

S

Stewart Bloor

Back to the first comment by Paul. Yes, Dave, another good article.
My memory has been stretched back to when I was a kid. I fished a local brickworks pond and caught my first crucians. They were real magic moments. Unfortunately, the brickworks company one day just filled the pond in. Not to do anything with the land, it's still there as it was when the pond existed.
But even to this day, I have such special memories of those first crucian carp.
Of course these days they are not so common. Anyone got comments on that

P

peter webber

Sorry Stewart I should of said in my last post a very good article yet again from you, I look forward to reading them.

Dave
They are3 very few and far between now and a lot of them are now private club waters or as you said have been turned in to pasties waters :-(

Pete.

B

Birds Nest

Good article Dave. Im looking forward to a few early misty starts for Tench...

I've also got 100 blooming lob worms that I'm desperately trying not to kill, until I can get out after the perch !!!

S

P

peter webber

Sorry re my last I did mean good article Dave.
But i've read your last article Stewart and I think it would be nice to see it in the mags/papers as I think that the more who see it the better.

Pete.

J

john conway

Good article Dave. You’ve set of some feelings of nostalgia re my own youth, especially about ponds, both mill and farm. With this in mind and the restrictions in the Dales due to F&M I’ve decided to join the “Hyndburn & Blackburn AA” especially when I found that they have three stretches on the river Calder, that’s the Calder that runs into the Ribble. However, it’s the other seven small fisheries (one res. and other small mill ponds and pits) that will attract my attention during the close season.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Thanks John

It's nice to know some people are still enthusiastic about species other than carp and barbel. Don't get me wrong, I love catching both, especially barbel, but there are other species out there still. As they say a change is as good as a rest and to me variety is key.

M

Malcolm Bason

When fishing Cannons bottom lake last year - and in fact many years before when I'd fished it - I would always 'bag up' on Crucians, they were great sport. A fish with good fighting qualities. No special method adopted for catching them either - double maggot on a size 16 hook and a handfull of maggots thrown in every few casts. I used to catch on almost every cast too - many times as the bait hit the water - great fun!

M

Mike Fidler

oy Malcolm shussh!!!! I'm taking this lot there later in the year!!!!