PVA mesh melting issue...

The wicker man

Reaction score
Hello, I have got some ESP and some NASH PVA mesh and these both melt OK except for the knot which even overnight in a test jug is still visible and has not melted away.

Is that normal?

The mesh in question is 23mm Nash and 30mm ESP, I don't suspect there is an issue with the product but was wondering if I am doing something wrong?

Just tying a simple (as recommended everywhere) overhand knot to create the knot in the mesh.

Thank you.

fishface1

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, fairly normal, particularly in colder water. I make sure the knot isn’t near the hook. Just nick hook through the bag half way down. Double it over for more security in deeper swims.

Also, save yourself some cash and get PVA in bulk from eBay or similar. I’ve used carp king this year with no problems.

The wicker man

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, I was going to ask about cheaper mesh.

I had decided that I wouldn't put the hook anywhere near the knot as I wouldn't want that masking the point, I imagine the leftover residue of the knot would get pushed about when fish enter the swim anyway but the advertisement states 'Fast melt, no residue' etc... not completely true.

The Nash dissolved better than the ESP in my test, but both left a noticable white gluey blob even after over night in a jug.

fishface1

Reaction score
They’ll probably eat the blob!

If you ever fish solid bags, you’ll find quite a mess of pva around the tubing/lead stem. Never seems to stop the fish taking the hook bait.

The wicker man

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, I was going to ask about cheaper mesh.

I had decided that I wouldn't put the hook anywhere near the knot as I wouldn't want that masking the point, I imagine the leftover residue of the knot would get pushed about when fish enter the swim anyway but the advertisement states 'Fast melt, no residue' etc... not completely true.

The Nash dissolved better than the ESP in my test, but both left a noticable white gluey blob even after over night in a jug.

The wicker man

Reaction score
I am searching on E-bay for the carp king mesh but to no avail.

They’ll probably eat the blob!

If you ever fish solid bags, you’ll find quite a mess of pva around the tubing/lead stem. Never seems to stop the fish taking the hook bait.
That's reassuring thank you.

Are you allowed to post links to any good/cheaper PVA mesh here please?

fishface1

Reaction score
Don’t know if you are allowed to, but try searching

PVA FAST MELT MESH 20M BULK REFILL SIZE 25 or 37mm CARP KING EBAYS BEST VALUE

The wicker man

Reaction score
Thank you so much.

That's really cheap, showing up under £8 for 20m delivered.

Just ordered some, can't go wrong at that price.

Reaction score
In my barbel fishing I use a thing that looks like a keyhole the I put on the lead link via the knot,thus keeping it away from the hook point and bait,this also keeps the weight all in one place for casting,I use cheap pva,but I am not happy with the knots not melting,as the idea of leaving loads of blobs of gooey sh it on the bottom leaves me cold...

Philip

Reaction score
Whilst I dont mind too much the idea of trhe gooey blob putting off fish I really dont want it anywhere near the hook point especially if your fishing self hookers.

As others have said I try and mount PVA without knot near the hook if I can.