Quality sunglasses

W

Wolfman Woody

So - what are you saying Jason?

Interpretation for us idiots?

J

jason fisher

it is possible for light coming off the normal to a lense to travel the same distance as light which is very nearly normally incident to the surface, if the Ni protion of the refractive index of the lense material is correct.

for all materials the ammount of deflection seen at the surface is wavelength dependant so if the laser used for mats experiment was a different colour than the one specifically chosen by the lense designers, to give minimum deviation with that lense, but maximise that in the different materials used in different manufacturers lenses. He may well have seen a very different result.

J

jason fisher

it all comes down to the fact that light travels from a to b in the shortest time, not the shortest distance and they are not always the same.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
You've confused me (I must admit, that's often easily acheived!).

Are you saying that it doesn't matter if the light travels through a thicker piece of lens?

J

jason fisher

and even if it does come off a thicker piece of lense if you change the wavelength you usually change the reaction, think of a prism.

W

Wolfman Woody

I think Jason must have his "professor's hat" on this week! :eek:)

You can argue the technicals as much as you like, but as a wearer of contact lenses and glasses (not at the same time, I hasten to add except fop reading) I know the changes my eyes go through every day. I have to readjust when I put my normal glasses on on in the morning and again when I put my varifocals on. Then, later, I put my contacts in and that's another change.

The eye is a wonderful instrument in being able to adjust so quickly. One thing you must always bear in mind though is that the images we receive are upside down anyway. The brain sorts them out thankfully.

W

Wolfman Woody

Superglue, you a***! Why do you think they invented it?

Just between you and me Jason, the eyes play tricks on you. Like you now believe the Earth is a globe, whereas it really is flat. It's like when you take a photo through a very wide angled lens.

Curvature of the earth, my eye.

J

jason fisher

what's even worse if everythings upside down does that actually mean we're all australian.

J

jason fisher

you'l be trying to tell me it sits on top of 4 elephants which ride on the back of a giant turtle next.