Rainbow Trout in reservoirs

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

Well if that's the case Andy we may as well kill all carp, zander and catfish too.

B

Budgie Burgess

Why are so many anti stillwater trout fishing? It has been with us for quite a few decades now and I dont see how it interferes with any coarse fishing.Coarse fishing can very rarely co exist on the same water as trout fishing that is a simple fact.I have personally found rainbows to be suckers for bait.On some waters I have had acsess to coarse fish on the trout have made it nigh on impossible to target the other fish.What I personally enjoy about trout fishing is the method ie fly fishing.What I dont like about it is the lack of variety.

Frothey you say Bewl is easy? maybe in the first few weeks of the season (same as any put and take fishery)but to consistantly catch your limit through out the season requires a lot of skill and local knowledge.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Jason --I was always under the impression (possibly wrongly)that the reason for the ban on coarse fishing on reservoirs(being primarily water supplies) was simply due to the fact that groundbait and similar types of things which could 'pollute' were used for coarse fish
Whereas in fly fishing and ,when allowed,pike fishing, artificial baits have to be used i.e.lures for the pike and flies for the trout

Colin North 2

Reaction score
Ron and Ed,

"Times they are a changing" or words to that effect.

I live in the South East where lots of "Trout" reservoirs have switched over to coarse fishing, co's that's where the money is. No re-stocking and plenty of anglers ready to dosh out a fiver or more for a day ticket. Off the top of my head, here are some of them:-

Ardley, Ardingleigh, Darwell, Powdermill and Bough Beach, all formerly Fly Only trout reservoirs..

Ed, the idea about chucking bait into the water supply doesn't fit, co's all the reservoirs above are part of the water supply system. When you see the huge quantities of Canadian Geese and suchlike, doing their business in the water, and on the bank, a few maggots or a bit of groundbait cannot possibly do any harm.

J

jason fisher

i only drove ron to starting this thread by winding him up on a particularly boring afternoon :)

and what eddie says is true that coarse fishing is banned from the reservoirs because of the mythical pollution problem.
if the polution problem was true then :
A) how can the water companies justify throwing in pellets for the fish they are growing on plus the excuse is blown out of the water in colins post above.

B)the second reason is amply covered in colins post above.

you've been able to coars fish damflask for years.
so it is obvious that the only thing stopping coarse angling on the rest of the countries reservoirs is pressure from trout fishers.

when this pressure ceases in the case of the reservoirs mentioned in the post above coarse fishing is welcomed and so far not caused any problems, i just hope it stays that way.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Just try coarse fishing the Derwent or Redmires Reservoirs in Derbyshire.

They don't even allow fly fishing except for a very few elite Labourite town councillors and Aldermen from Sheffield.

Labourite Pigs!!!

J

jason fisher

them's the reservoirs that particularly wind me up ron i'd love to have a go at the pike in there.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jason,

The problems lie in the perception of the regualtory bodies which are very rigid even in the face of scientific evidence to the contrary.

A typical example being the Danish Skandeborg authroities who banned the use of more than 3 kilos (I think it was 3) of groundbait on their lakes.
The net result being the ruination of the Billy Knott festivals on those venues.

Not politics just plain stupidity!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A good number of years ago I did read somewhere an article in one of the angling press, that if a course angler was fishing a stretch of river, and a trout or salmon angler came along, then the course angler out of eticate should have to give way to the game angler and let him fish through his swim. I don't think it was ever a rule, but just something the fly fishing fraternity was trying to push through. Has anyone else ever heard of this ?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another thing I am not sure about is that if I were to fish a river useing a quiver tip rod, but had a artificial nymph on the end, would that be illegal, if I only had a course fishing license?.

J

jason fisher

the game would get one of many replies from me and they all end in off.