RAPALA

GEOFFREY HOLMES

Reaction score
There appears to be conflicting views on how to attach a Rapala (or similiar) lure with the consensus being to tie a simnple loose knot directly to the rapala. I have always used a swivel but am told this is unnecessary. The natural twist obtained when using a fxed spool reel I would have thought, made the use of a swivel advisable. Have also used the same when using my preferred baitcaster. I would be interested to hear a wider expert view.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

It is important with many lures not to attach something that might interfere with it's action.

Years ago when I used Rapalas and crank baits for bass I used to use a variation of the Uni-Knot which worked like a hangmans noose. You could pull it loose after landing a fish to give the bait maximum freedom to work.

Do you know, I've forgotten how to tie that knot.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Oh yes and a baitcaster is far superior to a fixed spool reel for this very reason.

C

Chris Bishop

Wire traces come in handy for freshwater fishing, use one with a good snap and that will give the lure freedom to move.

J

jason fisher

ive been fiddling with a wire trace with a swivel at one end and a geminiclip on the other seems to be working ok so far and it doesnt cause the lure to sink as much as double swivel and snap link.