ready made rigs

V

vince battams

are ready made rigs worth buying, if yes which are the better ones or is it better to make your own.

K

Kevan Busby

Tough call Vince. Personally I prefer to make all my own rigs, although I do copy some of the more popular rigs and then give them a little tweak here and there to suit the water and style of fishing.
The quality of available rigs today seems very good but it seems another step in the "out of the box" angler. What I am getting at is this: I sat down and learnt to make and tie rigs, gettings a feel and understanding of the mechanics. This is not available to the people who buy the "off the shelf" rigs. Its horses for courses and it's bound to start some good feedback. Good luck with whatever path you choose.

P

paul clarke

i must admit to buying ready made rigs to begin with but now find it quite interesting to tie my own . you can use the ready mades as templates and then , as Kevan says , "tweak" them to suit your own needs. for a newish carp angler , they can provide you with quite a few ideas , Paul

J

jota smith

i agree paul the rig page is good but ready mades you can get a feel for them and tweak as ness but a great feeling when a rig u made fires a carp across the lake and holds up all the way back to the landing net it just adds to the adrenelin rush

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Riks got a nice story about using ready made rigs from a couple of weeks ago haven't you Rik. Its all about the big guy having only one run in the day, hooking the fish and then because of his ready made rigs.......................................

I'll let Rik fill in the gaps here boys and girls! are we all sitting comfotably?

C

Carp Angler

I used to have a real issue with ready tied rigs, thinking they were for the 'instants' and the people who pretended to carp fish.
Then it was pointed out to me by someone who suffered from arthritis that this was the only way they could get good quality rigs.

I was testing some Gardner Frank Warwick hinged Subterfuge rigs the other day and hooked a fish which I subsequently lost when the rig inexplicably parted.

No excess pressure, no weed, no snags.

Oh well, back to my own rigs again.

S

Steve Bundock

I like to tie my own rigs, just feel it's part and parcel of carp fishing.
Readymades are a good source of learning for new comers, and as mentioned by Carp Angler are useful for the physically disabled.

S

Simon Webster

If you don't feel confident with your own rigs, then buy ready mades. Then, when you have some confidence- or results, tie your own! Simple. Also, if you buy ready made rigs, they may not suit your style... imagine having a 10mm bait on a size 6. Argh... Carp are pretty stupid, but if you feel the need to have some fancy popped up, combi, blow back, recoil rig then go ahead if it gives you confidence. In my mind, watercraft is far more valuable that turning into a rig tart!