Recommend a Pellet Waggler rod, please.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I know little about PW rods, other than from reviews and videos - and while I've no intention of becoming a dedicated carp fisherman, I'll be fishing a beautiful local lake during the closed season (and probably through the summer) and might buy one.

- First: do I really need one? My only float rod is a 14ft Acolyte Plus and I gather a shorter rod would work better for PW fishing.
- Second: do I believe the hype, or would any 11ft (ish) float rod do the (PW) job effectively - and therefore double-up as a nice little stalking rod for rivers?

Budget under £100.00 - and tbh I'd be happy with a £45.00 Daiwa Matchman, if that's all I really need to spend. Others I've been looking at are Drennan Red Range and Shimano Aero X1 (or maybe X3, if I can't help myself).

Any advice / rod recommendations welcome.

Thanks.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've no hesitation in recommending a Shakespeare Agility 2 11' Pellet Waggler. Available from around £60.
Handsome finish, good fittings. Has a distinctive action in the way the tip section blends into butt section which makes it ideal for casting floats and playing carp ( and perch, bream, barbel, pike ...... pm sent -) ). Very versatile rod. Mine lay around unused for ages - I bought it as I thought it might make me enjoy commercials, but it didn't - until I got it out for other things and found it performed brilliantly.
I haven't tried it for this, but the tip is fine and I think would adequately register chub bites on legered bread, meat etc.

mikench

Reaction score
I cannot argue with the above but would also recommend the Middy 5G pellet waggler. I have the 3G bought many years ago on which i have had several low doubles . It won the AT rodof the year. Good value and a strong well made rod. About £60

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Personally I would go for the Daiwa or Shimano .
I had the Daiwa Harrier for years .
My present one is a Garbolino Maxim .
This was bought before Daiwa brought the Matchman out and Shimano the X series .
Take into account the size of wagglers you will be using .
I have also used a 13' "ordinary' waggler rod .

mikench

Reaction score
I posted this,

Daiwa D Carp Match Pellet Waggler Rod 10ft​

Was £42.99
MyAD

£29.99
In the “ bargains let us know” thread in General Fishing.

flightliner

Reaction score
I'd reccamend
a Shakespeare Sigma 11' foot PW, that or the Agility that nottskev mentioned.
I've had carp up to 12lb with mine, some nice Roach, Greyling a few Tench, and some near 5lb Chub.
In short it's a "go to rod" on occasions, it has a lovely fish playing action, comfortable to hold and is invaluable in tight "jungle" swims and only priced at £29-99 when I purchased it.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I'd reccamend
a Shakespeare Sigma 11' foot PW, that or the Agility that nottskev mentioned.

Thanks to both of you, but nobody seems to have them in stock. Or if they have the Sigma it's £60.00... which I'm happy to pay for a rod, but not for a £30.00 rod.

Last edited:

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Any thoughts on rod length, chaps? I started out thinking 11ft, because it seemed a good step down from my14ft float rod, but there are a number of nice used 10ft PW rods out there right now and I'm wondering if I'll be disadvantaged in any way with an even shorter rod.

I won't be casting to the moon and as well as lakes I'll use the rod in tight spots on rivers, so I can't see an obvious disadvantage in stepping down a foot.

mikench

Reaction score
11’ is the norm Kevin which is what I would go for. I would add that any of my 13, 14 or 15’ float rods would be as capable of casting a 10g waggler float as one called” pellet waggler” save for conditions ie overhanging branches, small water or species sought. I find i can only emulate a pro at the method for about 15😆 minutes, if that, as casting feeding, reeling in whilst feeding beyond my abilities and too much like hard work. 🙈😜

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Some rods inter-change fine between commercials and rivers and while 10' may be fine for casting a waggler set shallow and playing fish from featureless banks, I think that's just a bit unhelpfully short when your river swims may be deeper, you may be trying to keep the line behind a float fixed top and bottom, and you may need to hold fish out from the bank to keep them out of snags. You mention chub as likely targets and no fish is better at diving into the snags on your bank and under your feet. If I ever try to float fish a river with a 10' rod, I wish it were a bit longer.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Good thinking chaps. I kind of realised what you are both saying about 10ft vs 11ft, shortly after posting. And I guess line pickup is marginally improved, over shorter distances at least, with an 11ft rod.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
So.... I bought a pristine, ex-demo, 11ft Acolyte Carp Waggler, which by all accounts the designers wanted to call an Acolyte Plus, but Peter Drennan insisted it be aimed at carp anglers.