record breaker

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Lol, you reckon Phil would part with 500 quid, NO CHANCE mate!

My cheque's in the post though.

;o)

S

Stuart Bullard

Call me old fashioned but in my heart a chub is a river fish, and to me it wouldn't feel like a record.

I love chub fishing, its my no 1 fish, but I can never forget catching one at Clattercote, my first one from a lake. I just felt disappointed.

J

john conway

Couple of questions; are there any chub in the Norfolk Broads? And if so are these classed as still waters?
OK so it?s more than two questions; if chub were introduce into the rivers exiting the lakes in the Lake District would they populate the lakes? In fact are there any chub in the Lakes?

A

Andy Nellist

I said to Woz yesterday that the lake in question must be the private carp syndicate in Surrey that threw up loads of big chub a few years back. It would be funny to have sight of the waiting list in a couple of months time :eek:)

G

Gary Knowles

Like most people I'd like to see the record chub come from a river but it in no way detracts from the skill required to catch one from a stillwater (albeit a a southern one !!!!!!)

Well done to the captor I say.

And well done to Richard for giving us the sneak preview, even if it does mean he'll sell a few extra copies ;o)

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I don't think the fact this is a stillwater fish detracts from the record at all.

We've known about stillwater chub for many years now and they are such an all round fish that they don't just belong in running water in my view. Not the same as barbel at all, more like roach in my book.

I remember reading an article by Peter Stone on purposely deadbaiting for big stillwater chub and I was entralled, classic stuff.

K

Kevin Clifford

Andy,
Well done - jackpot! What a good memory. The first report was in Angler's Mail June 15, 1996 page 8 - 'Chub Tip at New Ticket Water'. The report began: "A record chub is on the cards from a water opening it gates to new anglers..."
Caught on Maple-8 boilie by a well known carper. Don't want to give any more details cos blokes like Richard and myself have got to sell copies to earn a living. But think a England football manager for the name of the fishery!

J

jason fisher

alf ramsay
ramsey street
bloody hell it's in australia we've been had

R

Ron Troversial Clay

My big stillwater chub came from Smith's Pool at Linear Fisheries - Stanton Harcourt. I was put onto them by Peter Stone. Actually he suggested I fished Smith's pool at night, also for the big roach it once contained, but that's another story.

In 1995 I caught a succession of big chub from Smiths. Best 5lb 10 oz. Then came the first of my big ones in March 1996 - 6lb 3 oz.

Later that year I got a cracker of 6lbs 2 oz, a fish that took me 55 minutes to land!

Shortly after that I had a third fish of 6 lbs 1/2 oz.

All these fish were taken using long distance waggler with an 18 spade hook to 2lbs fluorocarbon and a single maggot or caster.

I would fish down wind with a big Drennan weighted Waggler, 3lb main line and a single No 8 shot about 2 feet from the hook. It often took as much as 2 pints of mixed maggots and casters to get them competing for the sinking baits.

All the fish I caught were in lovely condition. The 6lb 2 fish was pictured in the AT and The Oxford Times in Pete Stone's column.

A year later I caught the 6lb 2 fish again, although this time it went 5 lbs 10 oz. It had a distinctive spot on it's nose.

It was great fun and great fishing and brought home to me just how deadly a fluorocarbon hook length is.

J

jason fisher

i think the 5 uncatchable fish must have been caught once in the chesterfield canal i don't think they could have walked the 5 miles from there to the lake they ended up in but once they got into that sand pit they weren't caught again. though most people were fishing for the tench and carp that were also in there.

J

jason fisher

i never tried to catch the easy chub not because it was a chub in still water but because
it got caught so often i really didn't want to catch it and pressure it even more,
and i was after some particularly interesting roach.

B

Birds Nest

Dave Cooper is spot on in my book, more like a Roach than a barbel..

As a side.....

been a funny month on here, Dave Cooper posts, sure I saw Brummie (haha) Williams about, Stu Dennis, and Riks been in and out (ooohh err)..

A

Andy Nellist

There was a picture of a lovely looking 5-5 in the oxford mail this weekend caught from the windrush by one of the lads from J&K. Andy Webber writes the column these days.

J

jason fisher

there's one at least, a lot bigger than that in the windrush, it was a lot bigger than my 6-2 i had this year too.