Redmire Pool...where the heck is it

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Frothey-I obviously don't know how old you are but as I've said before it probably is an age thing.....maybe you were not around when Walker was doing his thing or maybe you are not the type who has'hero's' and why should you.......

I would be interested to hear if anyone'sits on a pedestal'in your life-do you have anyone who you look up to.......?

For me,he was the reason I bought the Angling Times(among others)every week and he did teach me so much.I was young and in hindsight I know now that I didn't have much idea about fishing.I just did what everyone else did.........he just set me on the right path........

For me Walker was the main man but I read avidly of Stone,the Taylors,Marks and many others-even now I admire people from Sheringham toYates simpy because they have something to offer-they just have the ability to use the English language to its best....

Anyway, I would like to hear you innermost thoughts.........bear all!!!

P

Peter Waller

I'm not sure that I dare say this! But the harsh reality it that Redmire is a pinacle, but probably only to carp anglers, and just maybe it was an unfortunate turning point for angling in general. For me Walker was an engineer, both of lawn-mowers and angling, whilst Venables was an angler, an artist and a romantic. Like Venables I see no great magic in letting an electronic bite alarm do my fishing for me. The Hampshire Avon is, in my mind, Angling's great cathedral. Redmire, no, it holds no magic for me, despite my being of that certain age. A trotted float and a pin, or a bolt rig and a bivvy, sorry, no contest. Each to their own!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Of course dear old ****, unlike Beckhamwas never in the financial position to help people from a money point of view. Beckham is a multi-millionaire and gives away some of his money so that he can maintain his hero status.

Old ****, whilst not being particularly poor, certainly helped hundreds of thousands of people by his articles and his letters.

You name me any well known angler of today that would have answered the number of letters from the ordinary angler that **** did. His home addresses were common knowledge to thousands. He sometimes recieved as many as 200 letters a week. There is no doubt that he did not reply to every letter because there are plenty of idiots around and Walker certainly did not suffer fools.

But if you wrote to him intelligently about an angling problem and appeared enthusiastic about fishingas he was you certainly got a reply.

F

Frothey

Matt Hayes. Easily Walkers equal in terms of educating the masses.

Hero's? My only hero's are Al Melling, Peter Wheeler, and Benjamin Silliman. No angling one's apart from my dad.

chrissyboy

Reaction score
Total respect for **** Walker, when he caught Clarissa he didn't kill the fish so he could clam the record he put it in a zoo! Back in those days you caught a PB and it was killed and set up. His attitudes and actions set the standard that most people follow today. I agree with you Chris Ball he was anglings Beckham, a true sportsman and a gentlman, infact I would go as far as saying he was the Godfather of Carp fishing. Carp were considered uncatchable before **** Walker.

BOF39

Reaction score
Reading the above I have come to the conclusion that our Frothy is either the worlds greatest P**t, or he just loves stirring folk up.

To compare a footballer of Mr. Beckhams quality, with the great man of Specimen Angling, is completely farcical. Walker changed the way we went about fishing, what has Mr Beckham donefor the game of football that changed it for everyone?

BOF /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

me? stirring people up?

and it wasn't me that made the comparison /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

P

Peter Waller

Can't stand football but even I recognise that Beckham has inspired a million kids worldwide. As for Walker, I often wonder what he would think of his legacy. Tens of thousands of fashion obsessed, one method, one species anglers!