reels ?

joecon

Reaction score
I am after a pair of new reels with spare spools to cover barbel/heavy feeder fishing and as there are so many out there now, i was after some recommendations - front drags preferred and my bugdet is only about £80-£100....so fire away.

Regards...nick

Rickrod

Reaction score
shimano xte-a 5000 around £90

sorry not a front drag... doh

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Joecon,

Welcome to Fishing Magic.

As you have said, that there are so many out there, i would recommend going for one's with plenty of ball bearings, that have matching aluminium spare spools, infinite anti reverse, nothing higher than say 5:0.1 retrieve, perhaps a choice of a single or a double handle.
Take your rod along with you and ask them if you can try the reels fitted to the rod so you can check out the balance of the set up.

klik2change

Reaction score
have a look at Okuma Epix.

Very reliable, 3 spools, 2 handles, front drag - with reduced prices available now you might get 3 for £100. The new Shimanos are NOT as good as the old ones in my view, and I have all three mentioned here. I would probably choose the old Shimanos if forced to choose just one, but it's only a very fine edge difference.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I like Shimano, but I do have a pair of Okuma Intercepter 4000 bait runner type. Great little reel and I got extra spare spools as well. Front drag.
I have these with 2 Korum Quad Rods at 2lb TC. Have line rating 5-15lb. This setup have landed me tench waggler fishing with 5 lb line, carp to 10lb using buzzers and light leads on 12lb line and best was pike to 19lb on 15lb line with sprat suspended under a bung.

joecon

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, can you tell me where are there any deels for the okuma's ?

Regards...nick

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
check out ebay and pick yourself up a pair of shimano 5010's or gte 5000's. I have both and love em.

A

alan whittington

Joecon,i will probably get a barrage from okhuma fans but i would definitely look through the shimano range of front drag models and pick the best you can afford for i can assure you,you will not be dissappointed,and the lifespan will amaze you,tight lines Alan.;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am after a pair of new reels with spare spools to cover barbel/heavy feeder fishing and as there are so many out there now, i was after some recommendations - front drags preferred and my bugdet is only about £80-£100....so fire away.

Regards...nick

If the front drag is not a firm requirement then take a look at the Shimano Stradic GTM 3000 and 4000 range.

I have recently changed my old Diawa 1350's and 1650's for the Stradics having been so very satisfied with the Stradic 2500 reels that I bought some time ago.

They come with spare spools and with the Shimano build quality that you would expect that should thoroughly out-last cheaper reels.

darrengeorge

Reaction score
I agree, shimano 3500b, tough as boots and super dooper front drag. Very retro looking and built to last, not like this new rubbish.

Rich P

Reaction score
If you need a baitrunner facility, then the Okumas (Epix Pro or Interceptor) are spot on. You'll have to look around for deals as they change from week to week.

To be honest though, you ought to visit a tackle shop and have a play with the recommended reels. There's nothing worse that buying something you've not tried, having been pointed to it by others. Like everything in life, reels are a personal choice.....

wiganstu

Reaction score
another 3500b uaer here

ive not used some ofthe others yet , but i would say the 3500b is possibly the best barbel reel you will find for the specification you describe

not the lightest reel around , so not very practical for holding the rod for long periods , but for general run of the mill barbel fishing where the rod is sat in rests all day it is almost perfect

very robustly built and a performance that is top draw

if you are fishing a biggish river with heavy leads and feeders , this is the reel that will take the abuse and last a lifetime

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
Daiwa Exceler Plus, just the ticket. Strong build, looks good, reliable front drag that can be slackened off freespool-style. About £70 each. I'd go for the 3500 or the 4000. Comes with a spare spool.

A

alan whittington

I use the 4000 exceller plus myself Greg a good solid performer with a sound front drag.

Morespiders

Reaction score
All the above reels are for kids, for real men Mitchell 3000s, not for the feinthearted though

POLO

Reaction score
check out ebay and pick yourself up a pair of shimano 5010's or gte 5000's. I have both and love em.

I have these and these are very good and shimano will send you spares if you require and if your'e really lucky for free if you say you can't get em from you local tackle shop.