Reflections on the year?

tom_moran

Reaction score
Good thread! Well I fished a lot as a young teenager, I wasn't very good but I enjoyed it, then I hit 15 and stopped. I was 31 in February when I was invited to go fishing with someone from work. I bought a semi complete setup second hand, most of which was well used but I got some really nice rods and reels out of it, added quite a bit and done lots and lots of fishing this year.

I've really enjoyed it and can honestly say I'll be fishing for life now

So far I've caught roach, rudd, perch, bream, gudgeon, dace, carp, pike, tench, chub and I think I caught a ruffe back in the summer but we didn't really know what we was looking at. I'd love to catch a barbel and will be hitting rivers more often in my search.

The whole years been great really, few amazing sessions, few blanks, but fun and interesting all the time

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
2015 has seen a major change (for good) in my fishing. Prior to moving back down to Dorset and retiring in July, I had some excellent sessions chasing barbel and chub on the Loddon, Wey and Thames. Vast majority of those trips were short sessions often into dark and although mobile, were typically static fishing. Plenty of fine barbel and chub obliged.

Managed to fill the gap during the river closed season quite well but expected our move to be completed by May. Didn't happen until early July so the mid year period was very disjointed.

Lots to do in the new place but managed a few very exploratory short trips looking at venues I hadn't really seen properly for 30 years. Highlight of that particular period was landing a 12lb+ barbel within 30 mins of setting up on the top of the tidal Stour and then following that with another about an hour later. Who said the Otters had had them all? (only managed one more barbel since then though) :)

Didn't really get into my stride until September but then explored the Avon and more of the Stour. More importantly the trotting gear came out and I enjoyed excellent days with some quality dace and chub over 6lbs from both rivers.

Had a quality diversion when I spent a few days on the Middle Severn. 100% trotting while those around sat behind static rods on pods, each to their own, but I had some superb chub and barbel while most others struggled.

Back on the local rivers, a big highlight was my first 2lb roach for many, many years, a very pleasant surprise amongst the big chub that day.

Yet more trotting opportunities opened up in November on what is now my very local River Frome. Quality grayling from miles of river waiting to be explored. Haven't yet had a grayling to rival my best but the potential is most definitely there having had quite a few 2lb fish with a best of 2:14.

All in all it's been a good year and now we're settled in Dorset the fishing can only get better!