Regional Angling Magazines

• Thread starter Graham Marsden (ACA)
  • Start date

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
The trouble with Supermarkets only selling the odd titles is down to planogram space,an 12 foot magazine plan would probably have 4 foot for womens 4 ft for tv mags and the last 4 foot for everything else,its just that the volume of fishing mags is so small(say 2 or 3 a month for the monthlies and 5 or 6 for the weeklies)that there is always a better volume mag to take the space- look at the new titles of womens mags at the moment there are dozens and they sell well.Another issue is any new Supermarkets or independantswill not got SOR (sale or return) on the titles returned for at least a year until they reach a pre determined MEL (an amount of turnover in news and mags that they have to reach before being given SOR )so have to stand the loss,as most monthly mags are a few quid upwardsit could be a massive loss over a fiscal year.

What you need to find is an old traditional newsagent that has been round forever as they can possibly get you most titles from their supplier (smiths,menzies etc)without risk as they will get SOR.

Hope this helps

Regards Matt

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Oddly enough Mat, the best place I can go to for a wide choice of any fishing mags, is an off the beaten track wooden shack type shop.

W

Wolfman Woody

Keith M

No need to BUY books. Plenty of info here!

You're right Mattzzzz Blame it on the women. They always want to know about what the celebs are doing, who's wearing what, who's marrying who, does it matter. They're just nosey, that's all. Gossipmongers the lot of em, that's why they take up so much room on the shelves.

Stands back and waits for real butt kicking off Wendy, Claudia, and Janet, but I love it. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

T

teecee

How did Waterlog magazine manage to be reasonably successful without shop sales(I am assuming theydon't sell via shops!)??

Can Angling magazines survive on yearly subscriptions and would they get enough people to sign up with dosh up-front??

I think I miss out on a great deal of info by NOT buying these magazines(and I know this just by reading the threads on this site),BUT at £2.75plus/publication I have to weigh up where my cash is best spent and it is best spent on the ACA if at all!

I would rather pick and choose articles from a mag via a website and pay for it on that basis....

At the end of the day I get more enjoyment using this site and the response I get to specific questions(based on experience)is perfect for my needs so why buy a mag??????

Perhaps 'Fishingmagic' will prove to be the downfall of angling publications??

Steve Holland

Reaction score
I'm lucky in the fact that our local Smiths sells AT,AM and Midland angler, plus they's had an explosion of carp mags. Still have trouble getting Coarse Fisherman in there and have never seen CAT at all. Several local Newsagents, grocery/news stores have a wide selection, and all this in a poxy N.Shrops, market town!

Its a shame this has happened with RAM, as it was good to see local venues regularly etc. It was a good mag.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Waterlog is a quarterly and costs £30 a year.

Depending on what you like to read you're paying for quality.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

It did use to be in the shops when it first came out Graham.It has been subscription only for the last 4 years perhaps.

CAT

Reaction score
Its a big loss!

Ihope they find an investor soon, i thought Tom Leggeat the Midland Angler produced a top read each month with some quality articlesi will miss theup to date information and the Northern Angler was up and coming.

Nightmare!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

<div align="center">Nigel: "It did use to be in the shops when it first came out Graham. It has been subscription only for the last 4 years perhaps."

Yes I know, and another sign that the industry can't sustain the number of angling journals available.

Several of the magazines are operatiing on a shoestring budget and at least one of the most popular magazinesis only being published still because the owner can afford to indulge his pride. If he had to answer to shareholders it would be gone.

Reaction score
Just so you all know...

The December editions ofMidland, Southern and Northern Angler are in shops now, so vote with your feet and track down a stockist if you want regional titles to stay!

Midland Angler has a very good story about a recent FM fish-in /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
****y i'm gutted too, i write for the Northern mag and it has been great, i've loved writing for them about my diary type fishing.

TheNomadicOne

Reaction score
I did a fair bit of work with Tom Legge when he took over the helm of Midland Angler (as well as before on another title that went the way of the Dodo), and had monthly articles published until about a year ago when my health declined too much to continue doing so.

Lets hope that something comes up for the titles.

Beecy

Reaction score
ive never seen any of these mags on sale in the papershops i use

maybe the best place to sell these lesser knownmags from would be onthe tackle shop counter ?

Spiros

Reaction score
I have not read the magazine concerned but well done to it for shying away from the advertisers as a previous post said, still a pity is not in print at the moment.
There are too many magazines which sell their soul to the advertisers, AT, Am and most especially Coarse Fisherman are the main culprits. Have a look in this months Coarse fisherman and you will see what I mean................

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"I have not read the magazine concerned but well done to it for shying away from the advertisers as a previous post said, still a pity is not in print at the moment."

The reason it's not in print at the moment is BECAUSE it shied away from the advertisers........

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Yeah ****y have everything on pc smewhere. I got asked to write for them last year, and have wrote for them since the first issue. I'll dig em out and send em to you/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

Me too, please Wendy. You did promise. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif