Rehydration

F

Frothey

they must come back eventually, or they'd all be stuck in the margins...

B

Barry Edney

So what you're saying then Mr Cake, is that all this rehydrating stuff is a load of ol' baloney. Well, I think you're probably right. I can understand soaking an unflavoured boilie in fermenting particles to take up the smell/flavour. Or soking a boilie in glug..... or even salt water. But...... lake water??????? I'm not convinced.

So, would soaking a boilie in glug for a couple of days rehydrate it?

C

Cakey

Trouble is you take water out so you need to put water back

Frothey I meant leave the boilie and come back...........sorry

Barry I dont think its total baloney because different things on different days work

F

Frothey

"The fish takes a few freebies and then BANG.... ones got a hook in it. So would they feel safer eating the fresher looking baits? Mmmm..."

but then the same could be said for a fresh one....but then you've already hooked it havent you ;)

thats the beauty of using two or three rods, you can try different things. and we do ,dont we?

C

Cakey

No ..probably one of my down falls but my 3 or 4 rods are set up the with the same rigs and bait and I use them to find the fish ......but it works for me

I very rarely take more than one type of boilie with me because I know Im on a good bait and if the fish are in my swim I will catch

C

clicktochange

Interesting exchange of views...

If you are one of those anglers who stick firmly to one bait all season then you are likely to be sceptical about the benefits of experimentation.

Personally I [usually] start off with three different baits, to see if one is more favoured on the day.

On the other hand, Cakey prefers to find the fish, using one type of bait and rig. This approach seems to reduce the variables.

Which one do most of you prefer?

I always choose one location to cast to using a single hookbait on its own, with no form of grounbait. Is this all that different to using washed out boilies? The idea is similar ... to avoid spooking wary fish...

C

clicktochange

Regarding rehydration, a couple of years ago I used air dried trigga and trigga bait-soak complex. This worked very well, though I couldn't detect any benefit over frozen with the same dip. Rehydrated with distilled water didnt catch at all for me.

C

Cakey

I dont understand the reducing varibles bit
Ive fished since I was 5 and Im now 54 and spent the last 20 odd years after carp ,Ive done what I call the messing about bit and Ive learnt that keeping it simple,a good bait and finding the fish is what works for me
Of course there are times when I have to change but they are far and few between.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Thats the problem with fishing there are so many variables at work. Diffrent aspects of tackle and rig design,bait on the bottom or pooped up and everywhere in between. Make up of the lake depth, bed contours and is it silt, gravel or clay.

Thats wht keeps me going back because on the day i have to try and work out what the fish want and where they want it..

T

Tony O'Dell 2

I agree with Cakey regarding the messing about bit to a certain extent.....but every now and again new ideas/baits need to be introduced..but slowly..or else you cannot gauge there sucess ( too many other variables ) I started using another bait this season ( not something i do very often )...the bait being halibut pellets...this was added to my standard two boilies ( over flavoured bright coloured bait, Richworth Tutti Frutti, and more subtle ( more natural ??? ) Ritchworth Multiplex. Neither of these baits have ever got a take used fishing for Carp on the Ouse....the fish are not pressurised..and i assume they do not recognize them as feed. No worries there though...they love large bunches of maggots. However on two sessions this year i have had carp and tench rolling over my baits..not a touch. On first occasion i changed one bait over 15 mins of constant rolling....with 2 minutes i caught a five pound tench. On sescond session, similar situation....changed bait after 20 mins.....22lb carp and the cast afterward a 4lb tench.....the change bait....Halibut pellets.....
Hence the conclusion....experimentation to a degree is useful.....but as in laboratory experiments ( okay i admit it, i used to be a lab technician ) you need some sort of control to compare your results to, in the case of fishing...the second rod with the "known" catching bait. If however you then put a different rig on the second rod..you have introduced a second variable...hence your results are less conclusive as difference in catch rate may be due to rig changes rather than bait changes....as we know its never that black and white in fishing...but if you follow these principles to a degree you can increase you angling effeciency by a high degree ( what a cold way of putting it !!! )

C

Cakey

Ask the lot that came to Vaumigny last time ,my brother and his mate had about 30 different boilies ,every particle going,then proceed to try each one in turn every 2 hours .............why?

F

Frothey

i tend to stick to the same 1 or 2 baits during a year, but when the goings tough, you can either stick to your guns knowing that its gonna happen sooner or later, or ring the changes and see if you can "buy" a bite. but then i would always fish at least rods on the "going" bait.
if i was going to a water, i would only take 1 type of boilie...dont want to be worrying about when to try the others.
i made the same comment to stu ages ago at cottington, he had at least 300 different types of attractor pop-ups (well, nearly!) how do you decide which one to try? how long to leave it for? i now only carry 3, a fruity, a fishy and a spicey.

Wooly

Reaction score
Barry Edney,
When I fished hemp water rehydrated Maple8 baits next to fresh Maple8 baits (same swim, same range etc) on identical set ups the difference was huge. The fresh baits were outfished 10 to 1, such that after 24 hours rehydrated hemp flavoured baits were used on all rods until the supply ran out.
Tried it with my favourite readymade next and caught bugger all on the rehydrated baits. Perhaps it only works with certain baits?

M

michael rouse

Does bait quality really matter?I fished a really pressured carp water over the weekend and caught on mouldy baits.Not because they were left out of the freezer too long,it was just an experiment.They worked.I fished the "mouldy" bait over a bed of the same flavour boilie but most of them were either mouldy or in the moulding process.

Speaking to the regulars.A fish in the lake which is highly sought after 30lbs has been out 4 times this season on mouldy baits and a common at around the same weight twice(me thinks).Dont know if it makes a difference to the flavour of the bait but all i know is that it worked for me when others blanked presumably on fresh bait.

F

Frothey

what is mould? bacteria. what have mainline established a bait company on? baits that "react" with bacteria.......mmm free amino's.......
its an old trick to leave fishmeals out for a couple of days to get them "working"

C

Cakey

Some boilies look like they are going mouldy after a few days but its the sugar content coming out

B

Bill Cox

Must say i tend to stick to a couple of baits that i,m confidant in,however i have been buying 5 kilo bags of mixed offcut/mishapes and have been fishing large pva bags of these on one rod,the reasoning being that lots of different shapes and flavours when they are used to them will mean your hookbait is less likely to spook them.Only been at it a couple or three weeks so do,nt really have any evidence one way or the other.As far as bacteria goes my pb was caught on corn so old and smelly it made me feel sick putting it on the hair.

C

Cakey

Bill.....its what im trying to say,a shit bait in the right place is better that a good bait in the wrong place (not my saying but true for me)