Repairing a rod ring

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The rod is a carp rod Defender 2.75. I use it for sea fishing where they do get abused a bit. I noticed the inner layer of the second ring has gone and I don't really want to put a new ring on as I will never do it well or to match the present smooth join. So, I was thinking of getting something to stick on the inside either with epoxy or super glue. Something like a rubber O-ring maybe but that would be too soft. I am not bothered about it being pristine for sale or looks as I will just use this to the ends of it days or mine; as long as it is usable. It is still usable as its not sharp or rubbing being the second ring but I would like to make it 100% safe and I just wondered if anyone has any ideas.
100_0436 (2).JPG

flightliner

Reaction score
Mark, I have something similar on one of my carp rods, I made a rather ambitious cast on a Trent weir with a vertical concrete wall close behind me, I heard the "tap" of the ring hitting it and on inspection found what you show in your foto, not the tip ring but the one below it.
That was some fifteen years ago now and tho I'm quite capable of doing a replacement ring I decided not to bother.
During all those years it's not given me any problems and at times I look upon it as having a 1950s retro look about it as that's how most rod rings were'cept the odd one with lined butt and tip rings "high bells" if my memory serves me correctly.
I'm not sure if it's possible to line out the ring as you suggest trying but if you do and it's a success I'd be interested to know just how you do it.

Keith M

Reaction score
Whipping a replacement ring on is very easy but if you don't think you can do it why don't you ask your local tackle shop to get it done for you. It shouldn't cost very much at all.

I got a butt ring replaced on one of my Barbel rods for £11 a few months ago; via my tackleshop.

If you want to do it yourself you can get everything you need from https://www.guidesnblanks.com/ (new ring, whipping thread & varnish). It would be much easier than trying to bodge it another way.

Keith

Last edited:

TimFB

Reaction score
You can get a replacement ring and a spool of D grade black thread for under a tenner. It will be as good as new. If you are not bothered about looks, just use 6 or 7 coats of clear varnish. Years ago we used to use Humbrol enamel which you can still get from modeling shops. It

steve2

Reaction score
I recently replaced some of guides on one of my rods not as good as the originals but does it really matter it's only a fishing rod.

The bad one

Reaction score
My view is you'll have to replace it because the bottom two rings take a lot of hammer. Easily done as the whipping looks black, so matching up the colour isn't hard. Pattern matching the ring shouldn't be difficult either if you go on a reputable rod building site. You can if you don't want to mess about with epoxy resin build it up with varnish by using coats of clear best quality Nail vanish. Nail Vanish is a lot thicker than Yacht varnish but can be more brittle, so I start with one coat of yacht varnish first, then build it up with the nail varnish, which dries very quickly, to around the thickness of the epoxy and then put 2-3 coats of yacht vanish over the top of it to protect the nail varnish from chipping. Job's sorted!

ian g

Reaction score
Thanks for that advise Phil , I have a float rod I have been meaning to fix but the epoxy resin bit put me off.

john step

Reaction score
I replace broken rings OK when needed. However I never seem to get a smooth finish on the whippings. I would add that I have built rods in the past and a smooth whipping was not a problem then.

I used to buy a tube of something with a name like duraglit. ( If memory is right?)
It was like a thick clear cellulose glue that self levelled after applying . One would turn the finished whipping gently until the substance dried. Usually a couple on minutes only.

Dammed if I can find anything like it now so whippings seem a bit rough but serviceable still.

The bad one

Reaction score
John I think I know of the stuff you are talking about but can't remember its name. I have a feeling it might have been marketed by Seymo?

The bad one

Reaction score
Whilst on this subject of whipping and varnishing anybody remember using silk thread and having to cellulose dope it several times before you could varnish it, so you didn't lose the thread colour? That was a real B was that process.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I tried looking at that eBay site Seth and it looks like they only do tip ring guides but I could ask them. I will ask my tackle shop first as Keith suggested, the bloke in there helped me out before with some old ferrules so he might do it, I don't mind a tenner.
I was toying with the idea of making some eboxy glue, maybe thickening it with something and adding some black paint and layering it with coats between drying around the ring on the inside to build it up to a desired thickness but would it be a mess and would it form a groove with line running through it. All I could think of off hand to do myself for a cheap quick job or maybe bend some wire and glue it in and fill the join with glue was another option that came to mind. Probably not a good idea just what came to mind when I was thinking about it. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, very helpful.

TimFB

Reaction score

You can get everything you need here I use them a lot. They also have lots of video clips/tutorials that will show you how to replace a ring.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
That looks like an excellent site TimFB, really good, everything in there, I have had a brief look and I will have a proper look later, I have to go out now, thank you.

rubio

Reaction score
For us bodgers insulation tape works too and is available in range of colours. I favour the Coco Chanel tenet of black is best.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
If it’s just a one off repair it’s hardly worth the expense of buying; whipping thread, sealer/dope, Varnish/epoxy as well as sourcing the new ring. Particularly as you are unlikely to need the materials again and it you do they will most probably be out of date and useless. Most tackle dealers should be able to sort it for you. I had one fitted to a Free Spirit carp rod for fifteen quid all in and it was a perfect match. The Tackle Box in Dartford have a rod builder on site and are reasonable and friendly, if you pass the river crossing they are a few minutes away from the motorway.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If it’s just a one off repair it’s hardly worth the expense of buying; whipping thread, sealer/dope, Varnish/epoxy as well as sourcing the new ring. Particularly as you are unlikely to need the materials again and it you do they will most probably be out of date and useless. Most tackle dealers should be able to sort it for you. I had one fitted to a Free Spirit carp rod for fifteen quid all in and it was a perfect match. The Tackle Box in Dartford have a rod builder on site and are reasonable and friendly, if you pass the river crossing they are a few minutes away from the motorway.
Used to travel that a lot Rayner, too far for me now, all I am looking for is the insert bit, if I can't do that myself I might ask my local tackle shop to look at it, we only have one left but he does most things so he might do this. failing that I will bodge it with something as long as it is functional. I dont really want to take the whole thing off myself and replace the whole ring. I have not had a good look yet at the web-sites etc but I will, no rush as I wont be using this rod now for a bit.

Keith M

Reaction score
Even if you can get a replacement ring liner it will probably ping out again within a few trips, if the ring liner is broken or just slipped out you’d be far better off replacing the whole rod ring or getting someone to do it for you.

In my view It’s just false economy to try and bodge a repair by trying to replace a ring liner.

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Even if you can get a replacement ring liner it will probably ping out again within a few trips, if the ring liner is broken or just slipped out you’d be far better off replacing the whole rod ring or getting someone to do it for you.

In my view It’s just false economy to try and bodge a repair by trying to replace a ring liner.

Keith
The whole inner ring has disappeared, probably broke and fell in the sea or something like that, I wont replace the whole ring myself but cannot the liner just stick in with epoxy, its only the second big ring from bottom so there is not a lot of pressure on it except if the rod is bent a lot when a big fish is on but that will be rare. Anyway, I have some time in the week, I will take it down the tackle shop and see what he says, he's a good bloke with things like that, he found me two old ferrules out of his garage once; I am sure he will have something for this one way or the other.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I asked the bloke in my local tackle shop today and he said they would replace the whole ring only for 5 or 6 quid, he said they don't do inner linings it has to be the whole ring; it will take 3 days. So that's sorted, better than messing about with it myself which would be a palaver and probably a bodge, 5 or 6 quid cannot be bad and I will take it in at the end of the week, I was using it today; thanks for all the help, much appreciated.