river cottage CARP EATING!!

Reaction score
Just watched hugh eating carp ahhh I think not!! and he thinks we will all be eating it in 2008.....

Tell me your views.....

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

they were originally bought over here for the table.

You eat chicken?

Reaction score
yer but i couldnt go down to my pond that i lovenly feed my carp an koi knock one over the head and bung it in the oven...4 sunday lunch..

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I do not see why not, like he said earlier in the program, pilchards or sardines, once you overcome the predudice of the name, if a fish is prepared and cooked properly then why not eat it.

the victorians used to eat gudgeon, tench, roach etc.

we are too used to red meat diets, after all it is just a protein source.

Alnath

Reaction score
I once saw a bloke catch a double figure common out of the trent, whack it over the head and take it home for a BBQ.

F

Fred Bonney

Just think, that if they are succesful, and a reasonably priced product is the outcome,there will be no need to pull the muddy ones from your lake.

alan

Reaction score
more carp alive now then cod, so why not.

5lber looks about right for plate size fillets.

TheNomadicOne

Reaction score
No problems whatsoever with having Carp at the table as long as the fish sold were actually bred for the table. I don't agree with taking a fish from a natural waterway or an actual fishery though.

alan

Reaction score
bred for the table?

that wont work, it will mean more pellets to feed them up, more fish ripped from the sea to make the pellets, less fish for the birdies to eat, more birdies eating your fish.

I don't agree with taking a fish from a natural waterway or an actual fishery though.

why? how is it differant to taking wild fish from the sea?

Codger

Reaction score
Didnt he also make the point that carp are the most bred fish for the table in Europe! Its a case of how you view the environment around you. What are the salmon and trout fisheries there for - to provide sport which can invariably lead to the table.

Still a very strange thing to take on board though - at least in my mind anyway and I could not eat a carp!

F

Fred Bonney

alan,they were not pellet fed,they were fed withnaturalyoccuring daphnia.

It does work!

He had a group of friends,none of whom knew they were carp, and they rated them highly for flavour, and texture

Codger

Reaction score
Very good point The NomadicOne /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

alan

Reaction score
Fred im sure daphnia will work, for small fish farms without a huge demand.

but if the greedy money grabbing to**ers who run the salmon farms get involved, pellets would be the quickest way to fatten them up.

F

Fred Bonney

You could be right, but would they taste good enough, to persuade the non freshwater fish eaters?

CAT

Reaction score
Each to thier own and all that buti personally dont like the concept of eating coarse fish.

It looked nice when he had cooked it but come on its a Carp

Iknow a fish is a fish but it just dont seem right, even gutting one would seem odd to me.

I suppose its what you have been brought up on and i will be sticking to game fish, great program though like how he did them Sardines/Pilchards.

F

Fred Bonney

As much as I hated ducks when I was fishing,it took me a little while before I could eat a home cooked farmed duck.

Now,I can't get enough of them.

In my freezer, waiting for me to find a recipe, are mallard,teal and wigeon, all from my local game dealer.

Its a fish, if bred correctly, I will be quite happy to leave the cod alone, for a while.

My phylosophy is, don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

TheNomadicOne

Reaction score
Alan, I did not mention anything about how the fish were fed for a reason, but specifically mentioned that if they were bred specifically for the table, I see no problem. The fish shown on the programme, were "ORGANIC" reared Carp for the table. Not a standard run of the mill fish farm selling some on to fisheries and others to the human food distribution industry. Where do you think the freshwater fish sold at the fish markets and supermarkets come from? Thats right, farmed stocks specifically for the table (no mention of organic farming either).
Do you think it is fine for our Eastern European friends to come across here and help themselves to the Carp and other fish from the rivers, canals & lakes across the country? You mention what is the difference betweenfreshwater & sea fish? Simple enough, 99% of the sea is fishable for free and without license. No governing laws other than the minimum size limits or the laws governing commercial fishing of the coast with regards to quantities.

Going slightly off tangent, but still in the same vane, personally, I believe that the current situation that the fish stocks are depleting rapidly in the sea are not true or highly exagerated by the media. Just like all the media reports of a Turkey shortage & other countryside diseases, along with blaming weather for grain shortages (the farmers I know in this area are having as good, if not better crops this year than past years!) which is pushing the prices up on grain and dairy products. As soon as changes are made by the industries, prices increase, people pay the increased prices, so they never come down. Milk prices for an example were in the press the other week as the wholesale price of milk has come down, but the retail prices haven't in the major supermarkets. Why? Because they know people have to buy regardless so they can get away with it. Price of wheat and maize has not gone up a penny in the grainaries I use to buy it from, yet dairy and meat products have gone up by upto 40% (butter rising in price from 58p per 250g to 88p as an example)because of a so-called 'shortage' of feed for the livestock, as has bread increased in price because of the 'shortage' of wheat. I can go to my local grainary tomorrow and buy as many sacks of wheat as I want for £4 per 20KG sack (inc VAT) which is the same price I was paying last year & the year before (give or take a few pence).

What I am saying is that creating a media interest and claiming shortfalls or increased costs, artifically allows price rises or to push people onto other products that may not be selling so well. One thing I have also noticed is since the 'celebrity' chefs and media have started to puch other white fish such as Pollack and Hake, the price of these 2 species has increased from what they were. Coincidence? Nah, I don't think so.

F

Frothey

Simple enough, 99% of the sea is fishable for free and without license. No governing laws other than the minimum size limits or the laws governing commercial fishing of the coast with regards to quantities.

is it ok if i've got a rod licence and the bit of river i'm fishing is free to fish?

alan

Reaction score
The NomadicOne, your last post shows a typical anglers block.

it dosnt affect me, there for who cares.

ignore the news, i do. take a look at the SACN website, get involved in your local sea fisheries board(if you can) talk to the old boys on the beach, talk to the charter boat skippers. hell talk to the small trawlers themselves, they will tell you they are finding it harder to meet their quotas every year.

do some research into the cod banks of canada, the cod are extinct. end of.

the only country that fishies for cod with out to much problem is iceland, and thats only because thier boats will face the truth and only fish in certain areas at certain times to allow their cod stocks to recover.

conorants have invaded inshore, the number 1 cause, sandeels. their main food source, wiped out to be turned into pellets.

i can tell you, and show you areas that are devoid of fish from over fishing, 4 such areas with in 30mins drive of me.

on the same vane, ive never seen an eastern european, or comrant taking fish, does that mean the press are making it up, and everyone on here are just parroting the news?