River Thames Sunbury to Molesey

qtaran111

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm hoping to get down to the Thames somewhere on the Sunbury - Molesey stretch on Sat or Sun. Fingers crossed the weather will be a bit more settled by then.

I've never fished this stretch before, any advice?

Cheers!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I fished at Staines a week ago and it's chock full of dace and some big perch.
Haven't tried Walton yet but it's on the cards. What gear are you thinking of taking? What would you like to catch?

qtaran111

Reaction score
Gear-wise fairly limited as recently moved and don't have access to all my stuff. Will probably have a 13 ft float road and small lure/drop-shot rod.

What would I like to catch? Anything :) Roach, rudd, perch would all be great and anything bigger would be a bonus.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'd try trotting with elderberries and feeding hemp for roach and dace.
Trot worm for the perch. Maggot or caster will catch but you'll get bleaked out.
Good luck..

qtaran111

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! Looks like I'll be going on Sunday so fingers crossed. I'll let you know how I get on.

qtaran111

Reaction score
Had a cracking day yesterday. It was a beautiful day down on the river, some sun some cloud. Water had a bit of colour but not too bad with some nice flow. Boat traffic was a bit of a pain in the backside, but to be expected.

Had some really nice Dace. It always amazes me how much they fight for their size, really banging away on the line and the 13ft float rod was perfect.

As I mentioned I didn't have all my gear, so I improvised a ledger setup with a mini method feeder on my drop shot rod. Put a big fat lob worm on a size 6 hook with some chopped up worm & ground bait in the feeder with the clutch all the way out. Was rewarded just before 2 pm with my PB perch, about 2lb.

Just before leaving I did some jigging with a minnow lure and caught another 3 decent perch with a fourth over a 1lb that got off just as I put the landing net in the water.

All in all a great day out. Next time I think I'll give Walton a go.

IMG_4012-M.jpg

A cracking morning by Molesey Lock

IMG_4019-M.jpg

Monster perch

IMG_4025-M.jpg

IMG_4027-M.jpg

These two caught on a jig head with minnow lure.