River Wye

S

steve flook

Section of Fishery or river stretch: Newport AA stretch at Symonds Yat
Date: 17/6/02
Time fished: fished from 20.00 to 01.00am
Weather conditions: warm and overcast with a brisk breeze.
Water conditions: River was 1`8" above summer level and just falling with a nice greenish tinge, although it did rise in the dark, bringing lots of streamer weed and branches down which is a pain when you`re touch legering and also made presentation a bit tricky. I dont know about you but I`m never confident with a strand of weed vibrating on my line.
Water Temperature:
Bait: a combination of meat, pellets and the yellow peril...sweetcorn
Method: trundling until dark then a spot of touch legering in a few areas I pre-baited on arrival.
Results: 4th cast lost a good fish, probably a barbel, so moved to a new spot and first cast had a beautiful chub that was close to 5lb. three casts later and bang 10lb 1oz barbel. not another bite but who cares after that.
Brief description of the session and any remarks: new season but some things never change...couldn`t reach the water tidy in my swim so let the barbel go in my mate's swim and promptly fell straight in still clutching my barbel in the net. Boy I love this River fishing. Oh by the way my mate Scoot blanked...(hee hee).

S

steve flook

Section of Fishery or river stretch: Lower Bigsweir
Date: 5th august
Time fished:04:30-12:00
Weather conditions: warm, bright, calm
Water conditions: very very low and very very clear
Water Temperature: warm enough to have a bath
Bait: maggots by the million
Method: bung them in until they`re all gone
Results: 3 chub to 3lb, several dace and bleak
Brief description of the session and any remarks: I knew I should have stayed in bed, although there are big salmon jumping everywhere

S

steve flook

Section of Fishery or river stretch: Newport AA stretch at Lower Bigsweir (Llandogo)
Date: 25-8-02
Time fished: 17:00 -23:30
Weather conditions: Warm, light SW winds, slightly overcast
Water conditions: Very low but with a slight tinge after recent rains
Water Temperature: just right to wash tyour hands in
Bait: Tried hemp, tares, sweetcorn and meat mashed up through a feeder after reading Mick Woods account in this months Coarse Fisherman
Method: Big Feeder
Results: 1 barbel of 71/2lb and one monster devil fish (eel)of approx 31/2 lb
Brief description of the session and any remarks: Did expect more but any barbel are welcome when the river is this low. Had my feeder picked up twice by something big, and actually lost one when I struck at the "bite" and connected for a second but the clip came off the lead and whatever it was went off munching on my feeder. Also brought one feeder back so badly crushed that it had split and was unusable.

S

steve flook

Section of Fishery or river stretch: Holme Lacy @mordiford, beat 1, Day ticket stretch
Date: 11/9/02
Time fished: 06:30 - 10:30
Weather conditions:Cold and misty start then hot and sunny
Water conditions: River rising and colouring up before my eyes
Water Temperature: too cold to swim
Bait: maggot blasting, meat
Method: BIG feeder
Results: chublets, dace, bleak, gudgeon, in fact everything but barbel which was what we were really after.
Brief description of the session and any remarks: Never ever go to a new stretch early in the morning when its dark and foggy, on a promise from a mate who`s never gave us a good tip in his life and expect to catch barbel. The fact that the river rose rapidly, turned chocolate brown and washed every fallen tree and weed raft down the river making fishing impossible has nothing to do with it.
ps....went to a local lake with my last pint of maggots for 2 hours tonight and landed approx 50 roach and perch and lost a big carp, and I enjoyed myself more than I had all day whilst struggling on the Wye.

J

John McLaren

Section of Fishery or river stretch: near Ross-on-Wye
Date:20/09/04
Time fished: 1125 - 1825
Weather conditions: Heavy Rain at first but drying with warm sunny spells, strong blustery wind throughout
Water conditions: up around 2ft and steady
Air temperature: n/a
Water Temperature: n/a
Bait: Halibut pellet
Method: single rod feeder fished with groundbait mix and banded pellet
Results: 1 barbel 8lb
Brief description of the session & remarks: first day of four on a new venue. swim access was limited by the wet weather and treacherous nature of the banks, the one I settled on was not my first choice with no obvious fishing line. I was badly affected by debris in the high water but delighted with the fish which came at around 2pm and fought like stink!

J

John McLaren

Date: 21/09/04
Time fished: 0930 - 1830
Weather conditions: dry with sunny spells but strong blustery wind
Water conditions: a little lower that yesterday but rising 18" in the last few hours
Bait: maggot and caster
Method: Trotting waggler
Results: loads of BLEAK!!!! plus a few nice dace, small chub and roach
Brief description of the session & remarks:
A bad error of judgement on my part. Wanted to try the float but the wind made it impossible and I was not geared up to change my approach in the rising water conditions.

J

John McLaren

Date: 22/09/04
Time fished: 0900 - 1830
Weather conditions:same again!
Water conditions: high but falling
Bait: pellet
Method: Feeder fished single rod
Results: 2 Barbel 6.10 and 5lb; 2 Chub 2.8 and 3.12
Brief description of the session & remarks: another slow day but enjoyable, nonetheless. I also foul hooked two fish: a very long but thin chub (unweighed) and a Barbel of just under 8lb

J

John McLaren

Section of Fishery or river stretch: Ross-on-Wye
Date: 23/09/04
Time fished: 0830 - 2000
Weather conditions: one heavy shower but otherwise as before, slightly less breeze.
Water conditions: lower at first biut rising rapidly in the last three hours
Bait: breadflake, cheespaste, meat, pellet
Method: Single rod feeder fished
Results: 2 Barbel: 8.8 which was my second largest bill to date. Then 9.6 a new PB!
Brief description of the session & remarks: Yet again a slow day. I rang the changes in terms of bait: starting on bread and bringing back a chub scale first cast. The first fish came to flavoured Bacon Grill around 11am the second to Halibut pellet around 5pm as the river rose I stopped getting indications of fish in the swim and found it increasingly difficult to avoid the weed. A great way to end the week though - a new PB!

S

Steve King

Section of Fishery or river stretch: Near Hereford
Date: 18 October 2004
Time fished: 9.30 - 5.30
Weather conditions:Sunny autumn day
Water conditions: Water up approx 2feet
Bait: halibut pellets
Method: legering
Results: 2 barbel one 9lb 14oz other approx 8?lb. Also a couple of chub around the 3lb mark
Brief description of the session & remarks:

mark grimshaw

Reaction score
Section of Fishery or river stretch:nr Hereford
Date:17-19th nov 2006
Time fished:1pm-5pm/10am-5pm/10am-2pm
Weather conditions:mild and drizzle/cold and breezy
Water conditions:up but dropping and clearing
Air temperature:
Water Temperature:
Bait:halibut pellet/crab boilie/deadbaits
Method:running 3oz lead pellet/boilie over hemp. sunk float paternoster deadbaits
Results:2 barbel 7lb, 7lb 8oz 5 chub best around 3lb 1 pike 5lbs
Brief description of the session & remarks:Went for my annual pike trip on the beautiful river wye but this time took my barbel gear as well.Had a go for them just on the first day and well chuffed with my 2 first out of this river fantastic condition! The chub fell to monster crab boilies they like them as much as the chub in the ribble!!Guaranteed chub takers!!My original intended quarry fell to roach deadbait fished 3ft off the bottom in 10ft of water right under the rod tip third sortie was a blank after a dropped run.