Robson Green - what a t*at!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Excuse me for this;

"Robson Green is a cock! /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif"

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Nick,
I for one won't be watching it. We could argue all day about what constitutes extreme, but having had a copy of the first episode sent to the office where i work i would argue whether some of the content actually constitutes fishing, hunting might be a better description.
One of the episodes includes footage of pike being speared in Iceland with a trident-like device - i have nothing against this as it is part of the culture in that country - but i would hardly call it angling in the way that we know it.
Do we really want the general public to think that this is the way that we go about our sport in the UK - which they will as many still think that we eat what we catch.

I would also question his angling ability having watched the way that he (badly) handles a rod and reel in the first series. If he is a fly angler and not capable of doing any other type of angling then that is what he should stick to.

C

Cakey

I just watched an advert for the series.....................................Im with Matt ,he is a cock

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"Of course it hurts the fish. The notion that they haven't got a nervous system - how do you know? Of course they have. Why do you think it's flapping? Why is it jumping 6 ft out of the water? When fish are distressed they click. It is their last-ditch attempt at screaming. That's why you've got to kill them and eat them." - Robson Green.

That's about as anti-angling as you can get, and coming from a so-called angler makes it so much worse as it's just plain suicidal.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Graham, it would have been easier to call him a Cock.

He's not an Angler, come to think of it, he's not much of an Actor.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Oh give me strength!

We get people moaning that there is no fishing on terrestrial TV, and the minute they get some, they whinge that it ain't what they wanted...

I'm no fan of Robson Green nor his style of fishing as portrayed in his last series, but I don't believe that the great British public is daft enough to think that what he does in "Extreme Fishing" is in any way related to our sport here in this country. I watched the first series, and cringed at most of it, but I'll still watch the next one....

As for all those who say they won't watch? I bet they do, even if only so that they can moan about it...

However, before anybody accuses me of being a member of the Robson Green fan club...

"Of course it hurts the fish. The notion that they haven't got a nervous system - how do you know? Of course they have. Why do you think it's flapping? Why is it jumping 6 ft out of the water? When fish are distressed they click. It is their last-ditch attempt at screaming. That's why you've got to kill them and eat them." - Robson Green.

That was an appalling statement - not thought out at all, and pandering to the anti's...

As for him being a cock? Well yes, maybe he is, but let's try to keep personal prejudices aside and discuss the premise of the programme and the content rather than the personality.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well I have never watched it, and never will. A few mate's watched some of the last series and said how bad it was, that was good enough for me.

As sad as it is, the anti's will tell joe public that this is the kind of thing we do, and some of joe public will take it as seen on the TV.

Foxy

Reaction score
He should have been shotseconds afterreleasing "unchained melody" with Jerome Flynn, ive seen him on this program and he is indeed a belltower of the highest order. Statement above gives those pierced nosed multicoloured jumper wearers just the ammunition they need. I did like him in soldier soldier though .............

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Gary Newman wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>If he is a fly angler and not capable of doing any other type of angling then that is what he should stick to.</blockquote>
Dear dear, whats wrong with you all. Stick to what he's good at, why, have you never tried something new. Why do you feel so strongly about this, I bet most of you are members of the PC brigade. I'm starting to feel sorry for him!! How do you know the media haven't twisted what he's said and exagerated the interview, which they do a lot? Get off his back, watch the programme, give him a second chance and try to enjoy yourselves for once.

B

Bully

Quote "but let's try to keep personal prejudices aside and discuss the premise of the programme and the content rather than the personality."

Errrr, am I missing something? He made a quote about fishing (as in <u>HE DID)</u> which in my mind makes that<u>content</u>, so I based on that alone, and nothing else he has done previously, a definite cock.

Nick - it wasn't being twisted by the media, it is what he said, word for word, into a camera!

B

Barry Edney

Back in the day, TVTimes was the 'ITV' guide and Radio Times was more about the BBC.

Says it all really.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Nick,
I'm not saying he shouldn't try something different. I don't fly fish so wouldn't feel qualified to make a TV series about doing so.
And as for watching the programme, as i said in my previous post we've had preview copies sent to our office, couldn't bring myself to watch it but a couple of colleagues have and said that it is every bit as bad, if not worse than the previous series.
As for the press mis-quoting him, i have a feeling that his lawyers would have been on the case very quickly if he'd been mis-quoted on something like this, or if his words had been edited in a way that he wasn't happy with.

I think it is a bit sad when a series such as 'Catching the Impossible' struggles to get on TV and yet they can spend money on rubbish like this. I'm all for angling on TV, but only if the programmes are good quality (like the Go Fishing series was and that was watched by many non-anglers) and show our sport in a good light.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Gary Newman wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I think it is a bit sad when a series such as 'Catching the Impossible' struggles to get on TV and yet they can spend money on rubbish like this. I'm all for angling on TV, but only if the programmes are good quality (like the Go Fishing series was and that was watched by many non-anglers) and show our sport in a good light.</blockquote>

Good point Gary, let's hope we get more variety. I'm just pleased there's a programme that features fishing.

Ask yourselves this, would you do the same in his position? Would you allow yourself to travel the world and get paid to do something you love? And before anyone comments, he obviously loves the sport.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Maybe...just maybe the TV channels are deliberatley showing programs that shows angling in a bad light....just maybe.</blockquote>
It's not showing fishing in a bad light! It's a bloke(Robson 'Prat' Green) travelling around the world ENJOYING himself, he hasn't done anything wrong in my eyes. This thread is just bitter jealousy.