Rod licence

L

Les Clark

Keith ,no need to shout and I think you have the wrong thread !

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

My old club was very hot on Licences and every member had to produce one on the first outing of April or they were not even allowed on the club coach.
We once had a trip to Clattercote where we had a booked 20 pegs and a large proportion of the remainder were used for a big match. About midday two EA bailiffs appeared and starting with our members who were pegged by the dam began checking licences. All of us had one but the word quickly travelled round the fishery about the bailiffs. I've never before nor since seen such a mass exodus of anglers halfway through a match as there was that day.
When our club secretary asked one of the match stewards why they hadn't checked for licences at the draw he was told that it wasn't their responsibility and as long as the anglers had the money for their peg and and the pools they weren't worried.
Surely it should be the responsibiliy of match organisers to ensure that all contestants are fishing legally.

K

Kevin Perkins 3

Frank

Very emotive subject, Rod Licences. With regard to Stewards or Organisers checking, does the responsiblity then fall on them if a problem arises, such as using someone else's licence, a scanned copy, forgery whatever, will the Organiser be prosecuted for allowing that person to fish?

The same arguement has been put froward for Club Bailiffs, even fishing tackle shows not selling goods unless you produce a licence has been suggested, none of which are workable.

The responsiblity for having a licence lies with the individual angler, and what we should be campaigning for is far greater enforcement of that rule.

As to the pair caught at the match buying licences online, is this not the same parallel as being caught without Vehicle Excise Duty, you are made to pay back tax. I presume these anglers have bought licences online that date back to April last year, and will therefore expire soon. Perhaps the EA Bailiffs involved used their discretion in this instance?

New Kid

Reaction score
Kevin,
Just tried to buy a licence on-line.Like i said earlier you can't backdate.When i put in the date it only starts from 2006 so they could only have got either an 8 day or 1 day licence on-line.What sort of discretion could this be?I'm sure a club bailiff would not have allowed them to get away with it.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Kevin,
I'm only suggesting that match organisers should ask to see a licence before a contestant draws his/her peg number, not be forensic experts of fraud squad officers. All they should need to do is check that it is a current licence but if it is a forgery, a scanned copy or someone else's licence then it's up to the EA bailiffs, who should have the proper training, to spot it and take appropriate action.
If match organisers, when circulating details of forthcoming events, were to add "All entrants must produce a current EA Rod Licence prior to drawing a peg" I think very few anglers would turn up without one.
During that match at Clattercote I would estimate that more than 25% of the contestants scarpered as soon as they knew the EA bailiffs were doing the rounds which gives some idea of how big the problem actually is.

J

jonathan warrener

They should have been done definitely.
Obviously im some sort of mug buying my licence in advance every April from the post office, i should wait til i get caught then simply ring up and order one over the phone. Simple.

I can't believe these muppets were let off so lightly.

New Kid

Reaction score
Johnathan you have stated everthing i've been thinking. I would love to hear what bailiffs think.Come on lets be having ya.

Michael Garner

Reaction score
wouldn,t it be nice to find out how many years they have been fishing WITHOUT a licence ?