Rod licence

mikench

Reaction score
taxes are rarely if ever hypothecated by government no matter what they might say!

barbelboi

Reaction score
It seems that over the years, UK coarse anglers have paid out hundreds of millions of pounds for which we have received angling standards so poor that we have to travel abroad to find some decent fishing - or pay for it at a private fishery.

In contrast, other European coarse anglers have paid nothing, or next to nothing - yet have coarse angling of a quality so high that people travel from all over Europe to go and fish there. France, Spain, Ireland, Denmark, Belgium, Holland etc.................and more going to Eastern Europe each year. Yet none (or a negligible amount if anyone knows his name;)) from those countries apparently come here for a coarse fishing holiday...........

no-one in particular

Reaction score
We already pay this - it's called VAT - and at a rate considerably more than 1%!
The point really is that the money - already collected - should be spent on the target of the purchases made. :)

True Greenie and don't get me wrong, no one wants more taxes more than me but as we are paying a "tax" anyway this might be a fairer way of paying it without all the hullabaloo that goes with it and it could still be directed back into angling or whatever other hobbyist it is exacted upon included sea anglers. I dunno, just a thought but I wouldn't mind it, if I only went fishing 5 times a year I would end up paying less than if I went 100 times. If I only use one rod probably pay less than if I used 3. And no gestapo wandering the countryside, because that's what its getting like, £5000 fines, strewth. Its all getting bonkers if you ask me, which no one did, or apparently they did in some survey but not many people happy with the result. get rid of it, change it for something else; simpler and fairer.
Another thing, removing this license which is a hurdle for some- might encourage more people to take up fishing, with a diminishing return through the license they might get an increasing return through another simpler indirect method by default.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Do Scottish anglers pay a fishing tax?

No but I know some Scottish coarse anglers that have told me that they wish there was an NRA and coarse fishing licence in Scotland as it would give them someone to stop the blatant killing of coarse fish from some of their rivers by trout and salmon river keepers and anglers which hold trout and salmon. :)

Keith

thecrow

Reaction score
No but I know some Scottish coarse anglers that have told me that they wish there was an NRA and coarse fishing licence in Scotland as it would give them someone to stop the blatant killing of coarse fish from some of their rivers by trout and salmon river keepers and anglers which hold trout and salmon. :)

Keith

Imo the killing of coarse fish by game anglers and river keepers is an old fashioned snobbery that is impossible to completely stamp out even with a rivers authority paid for by a fishing tax although a few high profile prosecutions might but seeing as these rivers are possibly primarily game rivers I doubt the subsequent fines would come anywhere near what anglers in England are fined for not having a rod licence or be enough to deter those that do it.

Probably be a case of reporting illegal fishing and nothing being done about it, much as it is in England :(

terry m

Reaction score
Trump - pah!

He appointed a guy to run the Environmental Protection Agency that has been fighting and contesting the EPA for years.

Idiotic clown, impossible to take him seriously.