Save the Broads Campaign

C

Chris Bishop

PRESS RELEASE FROM THE PIKE ANGLERS CLUB

Pike anglers are stunned by the Government's refusal to back their campaign to save the Norfolk Broads.

The issue surfaced in Parliament during Prime Minister's Questions today (Weds), when North Norfolk MP Norman Lamb asked whether sea defences protecting the Upper Thurne and its broads would be safeguarded.

Plans to abandon defences have been proposed at a meeting between Natural England, the Broads Authority and the Environment Agency.

If put into action, the so-called managed retreat would lead to Hickling Broad, Horsey Mere, the Martham Broads and Heigham Sound being flooded by the sea.

Documents leaked to the Pike Anglers Club say the move would send out "the right message" about the impact of climate change on our coastline.

But the 2800-strong club has pledged to fight to save what it calls some of Britain's most historically-important pike fisheries.

Mr Lamb asked for assurances that sea defences between Eccles and Winterton would continue to be maintained.

But Commons Leader Harriet Harman, sitting in for Prime Minister Gordon Brown, said ministers would work to ensure "the right way forward".

Mr Lamb said he was "disappointed" at the response. Six villages, thousands of hectares of farmland and internationally-important nature reserves are also at risk.

Mr Lamb, who said he was disappointed at the response, is calling for Environment Minister Hilary Benn to visit Norfolk to see for himself the area which would be affected by the plan.

The Pike Anglers Club said: "We are stuuned. We share Mr Lamb's disappointment at the lack of assurances from the Government that the Broads will continue to be protected.

"We are talking about a cost of around £1.5m a year to maintain sea defences which protect thousands of homes, let alone some of our finest pike fisheries.

"It is unthinkable that all this could be lost to "send out the right message" about climate change" and save what is a relatively small amount in the scheme of things."

More than 500 people have signed an online petition on Gordon Brown's 10 Downing Street website to Save the Broads.

Go to http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/savethebroads/ to join them.

Keith E

Reaction score
I fully understand and empathise with the villagers and I cannot believe that the goverment would allow it but........................ regarding farmland and lost nature reserves, it is this area where I believe it is delaying the inevitable. Likewise I believe the same will happen to the fens in 50 - 100 years.

Nature taking back whats hers?Of course it will surely create a new nature reserve.I really don't know where I stand on this one but its good to see the fighting spirit.

G

Gary Knowles

Nobheads...the lot of them...

Politicians totally out of sinc with reality and unfortunately bloody birdwatchers seems to be going the same way...

C

Chris Bishop

Not sure the same will happen to the Fens as they're spending millions on a new pumping station and sluices where the Middle Level Drain meets the tidal Ouse at St German's, near King's Lynn.

While climate change and rising sea levels threaten many low-lying areas of our coastline, there's a clear will to safeguard the Fens and invest what's required to do so for another 100 years.

This commitment is what's currently lacking as regards the threat to the Upper Thurne and its broads. This is what the PAC is challenging and why it's pushing for a more open debate involving everyone affected.

Keith E

Reaction score
Chris,

Fair point, and I apologise for going off topic a bit but, despite bigger and better pumps, the truth remains that not only do the fens naturally sit below sea level, that the area used to be covered with marsh and mere (Wittlesea mere alone was something like 4000 acres I believe) but, as you know, with the continuous pumping the peat is shrinking at an alarming rate and much of the area now sits much further below sea level.

It really is a full time job trying to keep the sea at bay. Its almost like keeping the environment on a life support machine.

As before its great to see everyone digging their heels in. In a NIMBY situation I would be exactly the same, and from a short term perspective my names on the list.