shelf life or frozen

Wooly

Reaction score
You are quite correct. A very limited comparison would mean nothing. However if enough people replied, the more data collected the more accurate it would become. For instance if 100 people replied all of which used fresh baits and none could match the catch rate, or get close to it, it would suggest that at worse the bait I used did not have a bad effect and at best may have contributed to the catch rate. I rate myself as a competent carp angler - I've seen many better and many worse, so I do not believe my catch was due to superior fishing.
The first week of the two mentioned I started off on maize and tigers. My catch rate massively increased when I swopped onto the Rosehip and Remedy baits I had been feeding, admitedly I tinkered with the rigs at the same time. I had no air dried non preserved baits to try and non air dried baits would not survive the attention of the chats even when meshed in plastic netting (an example when readymades have an advantage?). I was followed onto the lake by a party from fishing magic (2 years ago), what did they catch and with what bait etc.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
I still use 'milk' based boilies and find the fresher the better so freezing is the best way. But I do use/make my own air dried boilies(in the airing cupboard) and have found that if I try to cut the quality of the contents to save money the bait is not as effective- they still work but the results are not as good as they could have been. I realise there are a lot of variables to take account of but looking at my results over the longer term I've had better results with better bait.

To cut a long story short it comes down to the quality of the contents in the mix pure and simple. If you cut corners you cut your results in the long term!

D

Deecy ACA

All I will add is shelf life no longer automatically means a 50/50 or crap bait.There are several "food baits" out there that are available in shelf life or frozen.There are also a number of very cheap frozen baits out there that more than likely fall into the crap bait category.The buyer may well be better off with a quality shelf life in this instance.
The mantra began with Carp detecting preservatives in bait, then the quality issue came up, then some even proclaimed we have a duty to Carp to feed into lakes the best food possible, as if we owe the fish a menu fit for a King.This one if you think about is odd as most using the bait have no idea of what is in it only that so and so emptied a water last week on it.
Now we have the situation where in winter bits of plastic and slivers of pepperami or maggots appear to catch everything.
Then we have the superstar catching stacks of fish on one boilie or another when in fact the only bait he has used all year has been a Tiger nut.
There is so much misinformation out there I think the individual has to do what they feel comfortable with which is really what everyone has said.

Matty C

Reaction score
so all things said n done.. its just a matter of personal preferance.. ?

fair enough I guess..

suppose Ill just experiment when I can..

cheers guys