Shimano Aero XR and Aero BB comparison

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I've been trying out a few new reels and - not being able to see most of what interested me in the flesh - I wasn't able to decide, but it came down to a choice between the new Aero XR and the Aero BB. I thought this might help someone facing the same first world problem!

I won't go into the specs, other than to say that the Aero XR has the higher spec, comes with a spare alloy spool (thank you Shimano, I hate the plastic ones), and is about £119.00 compared to £63.00 (both TackleUK, plus shipping) for the BB. They both come with one set of spool reducers (double thank you Shimano).

Edit: the BB seems to have more features if you watch the Shimano product video. So it definitely has the Hagane Gear and X-Ship, but the video says it has Silent Drive... which, for me, means the XR has no additional features that matter to me.

I'll use these reels on my Acolyte Plus 14ft float rod. I wanted two spools, so the option is either one Aero XR or two BB's. They are both very light and come in 3000, 4000 and 5000 sizes, and although Shimano say that the 5000 is for feeder fishing it's light enough for me to want to compare it with the 4000 size, especially for use as a trotter.

The options I bought are the Aero XR 4000 and the BB 5000. The only physical difference is the size of the spool - it's hard to align the bailing arms, but even they look the same size (albeit a slightly different shape). Both spools fit on either reel. I had thought, from photographs, that the Aero BB spool would have a wrapped label, but the graphics are printed, or etched (who knows) onto the alloy. The bodies are made of matt finished CI14+ on the XR and a slightly less matt (it's by no means gloss) XT-7 on the BB. The silver parts on both spools (more obvious on the BB) are a beautiful gunmetal colour.

Without using them, it's hard to know what difference there is in the clutch (if any - there's nothing in the specs to suggest any difference), but they both spin forever and feel reassuringly smooth.

I like them both, but I'm erring towards getting two BBs just to have the option of setting up two rods in future... and that gunmetal spool is lovely!

Here are some comparison photos.

DSCF4771.JPG
DSCF4772.JPG
DSCF4773.JPG
DSCF4774.JPG
DSCF4775.JPG
DSCF4776.JPG
DSCF4778.JPG

Last edited:

jon atkinson

Reaction score
The design of the spool and the shape of the handle very much remind me of the Stradic Ci4+ which I have in the 3000 - lovely reel.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Just thought I'd add something about the spool reducers. For both size spools, the reducers are marked internally with the new capacity. Here are the stated spool capacities and the reduced capacity (which is the same for both sizes):

4000: 0.25 - 260m / 0.20 - 150m
5000: 0.30 - 240m / 0.20 - 150m

sam vimes

Reaction score
Are the weights true to spec?

Aero XR 4000 is meant to be 245g/8.6oz
BB 5000 is meant to be 285g/10.1oz

As far as the specs go, there's at least 30g/1.1oz difference between the Aero XR and Aero BB in the same sizes.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Are the weights true to spec?

No idea Sam, I've no scales, but the BB is ever so slightly heavier... if heavy is even the right word. Forty grams feels about right, but that's a guess. Having taken the spools off to see if they swap over (which they do) I'd say some of the weight difference might be in the spools, which are of a different design, but obviously I'm also comparing a 4000 spool with a 5000. They're a lot lighter than a Baitrunner, that's for sure.

FWIW, I asked my wife (a designer) to 'blind test' them last night - asking which reel costs twice the price of the other. She chose the BB.

sam vimes

Reaction score
No idea Sam, I've no scales, but the BB is ever so slightly heavier... if heavy is even the right word. Forty grams feels about right, but that's a guess. Having taken the spools off to see if they swap over (which they do) I'd say some of the weight difference might be in the spools, which are of a different design, but obviously I'm also comparing a 4000 spool with a 5000. They're a lot lighter than a Baitrunner, that's for sure.

Having directly compared reels (same size and type) made of Ci4+ and XT-7, I know that the weight difference will not be entirely down to any minor difference there may be in the spools.

FWIW, I asked my wife (a designer) to 'blind test' them last night - asking which reel costs twice the price of the other. She chose the BB.

I suspect that has a lot to do with the way we are conditioned to think about many types of consumer items. Weight can give the impression of solidity and durability in a way that something lighter often does not. I'm all for fishing gear being lighter, provided it doesn't make it less robust.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I suspect that has a lot to do with the way we are conditioned to think about many types of consumer items. Weight can give the impression of solidity and durability in a way that something lighter often does not.

Possibly, but the opposite was true when we recently sold our petrol Stihl garden tools and bought cordless electric versions, which are so much lighter that my wife no longer needs to pester me to cut the hedges. 😉 There are lots of reasons for the choices we make - not all down to conditioning.

Last edited:

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Spool diameter:

I just read on Magg0tdr0wners (a thread you contributed to Sam), that someone with the XR 4000 said the spool was 45mm. Not even close, the rear end is 50mm and the lip 51mm. The lip on the 5000 is 54mm.

Now I just need to decide whether to go with two XRs (= four spools) or four BBs, and what size(s).

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Let us know which one you went for, so when you decide it’s not the one for you and decide to sell it we know what we are bidding on, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
I would just buy one to see how I like it first. I prefer the XR being the nearest equivalent to the X aero reels I like so much.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Not Shimano , has anyone heard any reviews on the new Guru reel ?

I'm guessing you mean the new(ish) Guru A Class rather than the Guru Aventus?
I've yet to see a thing about the A Class bar one post on Maggotdrowners. I did handle one in my local tackle shop. It struck me as being a fairly generic far east reel just with Guru branding. No doubt it will be perfectly functional.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Every picture i have seen of the new guru reel the line lay looks terrible and that's including the one for sale on facebook the other day.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

sam vimes

Reaction score
The bairunner and the feeder reel. Bairunners are brilliant and once again you are not obligated to rengage the free spool facility.
AFAIK, there hasn't been an X Aero Feeder reel, Just the X Aero Baitrunners (FA and RA).

I wonder if you might be thinking of the Aero Feeder and Aero Match reels which had rather prominent "X-Ship" labelling

mikench

Reaction score
I think you may be right and indeed, having checked, you are. I have both in 4000 size and they are excellent.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
The bairunner and the feeder reel. Bairunners are brilliant and once again you are not obligated to engage the free spool facility.

The current X Aero Baitrunner would appear to have more in common with the BB than the XR. Both are XT-7 whereas the XR is CI4+. Not sure what the reel above is made of - its a glossier finish. Both the XR and BB have X Ship, Hagane and Silent Drive. The only difference I can see is the body/rotor material and a one-piece bailing arm on the XR... something that, until now, I didn't know I needed! :)

Last edited: