shimano line spin

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I've never tried the Spin Doctor.

Just might get one though.

S

sash

Strange, I haven't found it too springy at all Matt. In fact it's behaved perfectly. I haven't tried the 12 or 15lb though as I've been on a mixture of Catana / Big Game and PowerPro braid as soon as I need 12lb+.

Must try the Clarke stuff. Is it available in 6lbish?

S

sash

Ron,

Will gladly show you one in action (the doctor not the monk!) if you come along to the Fens Fish-In in March.

W

Wolfman Woody

Clarkes is teh old Silstar. Excellent line and in a range from about 1lb to 8lb, I've seen it.

It's very, very fine so not what I'd recommend for long distance feeder fishing. Although I have got it on a feeder reel still from when I tried it. Didn't let me down, but I was a bit nervy with it especially on the strike. Ideal for float fishing for tench and stuff.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

You can also get it in 10lb

Woody, I said I use it for everything but long distance feeder fishing :eek:)

W

Wolfman Woody

yes, I agree with you.
:eek:)
Let me put it another way, I concur.

N

NottmDon

Lines always seem to produce a good debate as everyone as their favourites! I used to use Maxima for most of my fishing and saw no reason to change, I wasn't into specimen fish in those days. Soon as the speci bug bit I read every article on barbel and barbel fishermen with an open mind, willing to take on others ideas but not to follow them blindly. I've been reccomended Berkley line, I used it and didnt like it, then I saw a write up for fox steel silk and I'm trying that now. Then I went onto flurocarbons for hooklengths and again I used the Berkley Vanish which for me as been excellent and so is the "Ghost" fluro although a tad expensive! I will no doubt find a line that suits me and I'm gonna spool up with Matts choice the next time I load a reel. On the same subject but off at a tangent may I ask why mfgs dont put a sell by date on mono? I have had to throw no end of line away in the past because even purchased as new it withered within a couple of sessions, this is more with match line than speci type lines, although one of the spools of Berkley in 8lb was very ropey (pardon the pun) and broke at around five pounds hence it put me off Berkley as a main line (hooklengths in vanish Ive no problem with) and it didnt come cheap either! So should mfgs put a sell by on line? What do you think?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I don't think a sell by date would help too much because it's longevity would depend on how the line has been stored.

If the line's sat on a wall in a shop near a window it's not going to last anywhere near as longs as the line that's store in a box in the store room.

J

john ledger

Lee
I always spool on my rod with the line spool facing ie full circle looking and i always fix a small weight on the end and cast onto a lawn and retieve through the grass

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Keith Arthur insists that line spin is mainly caused by the roller on the reel, the bigger and better the roller the worse the line spin. His solution is, and he says its the only solution, is to superglue the roller so it can't turn. It won't prevent all line spin but it will improve things dramatically.

Never tried this myself, but he's a man you can usually trust and I have no reason to doubt him on this.

S

swordsy

thanks to everyone for their tips I really do think that my problem lies with the reel as I do load the line correctly it is only after it has been used for a while I get problems. The superglue is going to sort the problem out I hope.

plus I will be purchasing a spin doctor

thanks everyone

Lee

W

Wolfman Woody

No!!! Not superglue.

Much as I like KA and perhaps agree with him on many topics - not this.

When we had bail arms with no roller we had line spin. When we went to rollers, we had line spin. And now we have big rollers, we have line spin.

It's the reel. Nature of the beast.

John Ledger (very appropriate name there btw) mentioned something I forgot perhaps. The spool of line should face the spool of the reel. Then the coils that come off should all go the same way around.

The only other way is to load the spool up by machine - reel to reel direct with the line travelling straight. Getting good line lay though is difficult.