Sixth Sense

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
LOL.

It's there, it is it is. Not all the time maybe, but there are times when you just know......

Doesn't have to have anything to do with fishing,,,,,,It's just in you and you can feel,sense by smell touch sight sound whatever, better. And then there is the other thing!!!!! The thing you cannot explain or express but which you inherently know is right, Thats wierd eh!

As a quick footnote: My wife cannot talk at the mo and hasn't done for over 18 months now (stroke), but I have quickly been able to pick up on what she is about to ask me and so have a couple of close friends (by ask, i mean try). I can't do this with other people i just seem to be in tune with her thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe it's because i'm trying?? but then again maybe not. Confusing.

colsmiff

Reaction score
Surely when you are as experienced an angler as many on this forum are, then a lot of the instinctive behavior which you are putting down to sixth sense is actually learned and finely honed over the years you have been fishing.
That said, what makes you suddenly change tactics, say from a waggler when you are catching a rudd a cast, to the pole and all of a sudden you are catching crucians with every put in? This happened to me this summer and I certainly don't have the years under my belt that some of you do!

Liam Foley

Reaction score
Im a firm believer.....one thing that sticks in my mind was while i was carp fishing. It was in the middle of the night, i was only under a brolley as it was a warm nite. I woke up suddenly, sat up on my bed chair, then immediately heard a "ping" as the line come out of my lineclip then the baitrunner screamed. (unbeknown to me, my battery had died in my buzzer and i woke up and sat up within seconds of a take)......spooky!

stuart clough

Reaction score
perhaps a sixth sense is only possesed by people of a particular astrological star sign....

F

Fred Bonney

I have been many times sitting on the river bank`and thought to myself, why not give such and such a try.
When I have reacted immediatley,it has proved to be a succesful change,however,when I've left it for a while and thought, I will give it a go,I've failed.
6th sense,or many years of fishing?I'll go for 6th sense.

D

David Marrs

A lot of this I believe can be attributed to experience and/or skill. However, there are definitely some instances which I would definitely lay at the door of the old 6th Sense!!!

There's times when I've been fishing the 20ft or the Ouse and have just been literally pulled to another location and managed a top result!

C

Chris Bishop

Dave's always coming out with hunches. A lot of this is probably down to the fact he works away a fair bit and doesn't get to fish as often as a lot of us, despite the fact he lives for it. So he spends a lot of his time thinking about it.

I've had some bizarre ones over the years. saw a big fish on a gravel pit a couple of years ago when I was out with the wife and said: "I'm going to catch that..."

Long drift, the float went straight to where it had shown like it was on rails and I caught it.

I can remember Dave telling me he was going to catch a 20lbs pike from a particular drain, me going yeah Dave, right mate, Dave goes and nails one.

I can also remember a night in a bizarre spot where he cast right into a line of reeds because he thought it would do a good zander and catching a double. I put one of mine in the same spot while he wasn't looking and had a nine.

How many times when you're pike fishing does some change happen - the light levels change as it clouds over, the wind turns a bit and you think: "I'll get one in a minute."

When you're right, it sometimes makes up for all the times you're wrong.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Wol was Bream fishing on Startops in 1989 when another angler who was walking his dog stopped for a chat. Suddenly the visiting angler told Wol that he had a feeling that he was about to catch a 3lb Roach on his left hand rod. Wol was fishing for Bream at the time but within 5 minutes his right hand indicator dropped to the deck and he landed a roach of 3lb 2oz. It was the first big roach out of Startops that season and Warren's first 3lb'er.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

sorry that should of course have read right hand rod

owzatsteve

Reaction score
graham i dont relly know about sixth sense but i knew you were going to post this thread

Matty C

Reaction score
I deffinately believe in something that we call sixth sense.. I think its more to do with the subconcious than anything else though.. I would imagine that many anglers on here have been fishing for many years, and many of those years have been spent watching a float, and if you do something like that for long enough, you might think your only watching a float, but your brain sees more than your eyes will lead you to believe.. slight deviations of water.. just one single bulle perhaps.. just something that ordinarilly your eyes dont and wont see, but your brain does..
I watched a program once about a fireman who was the leader and he was in a burning building with his crew, and all of a sudden he had a feeling he needed to get out, but he didnt know why, so he told all of his men to get out as quickly as poss, and 1 minute after they were out, the building collapsed.. He then had hypnosis to find out how he knew, n it turns out that his brain had kept a log of all the fires he had been in, and whilst he was in this one, his subconcious was busy comparing it to every other fire, and something was differant about this fire, so he had a sudden urge of danger, and so had to leave.. Could it be the same thing ?
I think everyone has had some kind of instance where gut feeling or something has taken over, I for one know I have, but whether its sixth sense or subconcious or not is another matter..

everyone must have reached for their rod, knowing something is about to happen, and it does.. but then again, whenever I trot a float down somewhere, I think most casts will catch a fish, even the ones I think wont catch, sometimes do.. *shrugs*

D

David Marrs

''I can also remember a night in a bizarre spot where he cast right into a line of reeds because he thought it would do a good zander and catching a double. I put one of mine in the same spot while he wasn't looking and had a nine''

Picture the scene Chaps, I'm getting my fish unhooked and sorting my life out for the photograph and Chris is busy behind me popping his bait into the 'correct' spot! lol was a fantastic night out fishing for sure! One of the very best!!!

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
mmm very interesting....here is something I have recently learnt.....curing a modern managerial cousre on EQ (emotional inteligence) OK an experiment in the US ....subjects are put in front of a TV screen and and images are flashed in front of them....they are hooked up on all sorts of monitors, brain waves, optical , heart etc etc ....now the pictures have differnt responses, ie it randomly will show a nice country scene so you expect everything to chill out then it might show a war scene with maybe an injured child ..so you expect everything to go crazy..!!!! and it did....but and its a BIG BUT....the heart always changed before the brain,,,AND even stranger most of the time the heart would change before the image changed !!!!!!!!!!! This is fact !!!!
So is this the 6th sense??? an emotional sense???? I dont know but I know it is very interesting stuff......