Sleeper Rod Tips

nottskev

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to put out a sleeper rod – something I’ve never done before. I’d welcome any thoughts from those who do this regularly.

Have you found a slackened-off Fightin’Drag reel adequate? I don’t really want to buy a baitrunner just for this application.
Do you use a bite alarm, or does the reel noise suffice?

What would be your favourite rig? I want to settle on a general purpose set up, although it will probably have to be different for still and running water. If a feeder, what type works best for you – trad, inline, flat method, pellet feeder etc? Short hooklengths for self-hooking?

Best type of rod rest etc to make sure everything stays on the bank?

Any other tips that might help me avoid degenerating into farce? (That’s been my experience of trying to be greedy with two rods).

B

binka

Two words spring to mind.

BAD ANGLING!

Care to explain that one?

If it wasn't for a sleeper rod I would never have got into long range method fishing, I don't generally like the idea of a sleeper rod but I've nothing against it either and I learned a lot from it to the point where I was doing it on both rods on a certain complex of pits we both know Kev, one of which was notoriously hard at the time and still can be.

I think you've got to decide what you want to do with it...

Try a new bait

Target a certain species

Look for a bigger specimen of the species you're fishing for, maybe hanging back off the main feeding shoal

Any rig will do but you've got to decide if you want a bolt type or running rig, depending on what you want to achieve and how active you want to be in terms of tending to it when you get a bite.

As to why a sleeper rod should be deemed as 'bad angling', I'm totally baffled.

nottskev

Reaction score
Care to explain that one?

If it wasn't for a sleeper rod I would never have got into long range method fishing, I don't generally like the idea of a sleeper rod but I've nothing against it either and I learned a lot from it to the point where I was doing it on both rods on a certain complex of pits we both know Kev, one of which was notoriously hard at the time and still can be.

I think you've got to decide what you want to do with it...

Try a new bait

Target a certain species

Look for a bigger specimen of the species you're fishing for, maybe hanging back off the main feeding shoal

Any rig will do but you've got to decide if you want a bolt type or running rig, depending on what you want to achieve and how active you want to be in terms of tending to it when you get a bite.

As to why a sleeper rod should be deemed as 'bad angling', I'm totally baffled.

Bit baffled myself, Steve, in an idly curious kind of way.

Given that two of the most popular angling styles – method feeder in all its forms and bolt-rig/bite alarm carp fishing – involve anglers, with varying degrees of attention, waiting for the tip to pull round and stay round or the baitrunner to yield line to a self-hooked fish. And plenty of big-fish anglers fish more than one rod. Maybe these are all "bad angling" too? I'll be in good company, at least.

Or is the difference that I might need to put, for example, my waggler rod down before I pick the sleeper rod up, as opposed to, say, waking up, getting out of my sleeping bag etc? Perhaps it's frowned on to fish one rod which involves hitting bites while another involves a self-hooking set -up; a taboo combination, like drinking and driving?

Who knows, but all constructive answers to my question gratefully received. :)

thecrow

Reaction score
So long as the sleeper is fish sensibly I don't see a problem Kev, I don't need to say what I mean by that snags e.t.c .

If its the carp your after I would use either the method or a semi fixed lead/feeder short hook length, I wouldn't buy a bite alarm but if you have one use it or just rely on the sound your reel will make its surprising how quickly you recognise whats happening, I would also use a hookbait that lasts a while nothing worse than not getting any indication and having no hookbait when you reel in.

Imo its no different having a sleeper out to fishing with 2 rods on any water still or running, I don't know of anyone that can give any rod 100% concentration for hours on end no matter the method being used.

B

binka

I tend to use the method or a heli-rig Kev, I will and do use free running on an alarm if need be though... It just depends what I'm doing and what I'm after.

I'm very belt and braces with the rod rests, a general 'V' type with the running line slot for the front and the butt ring positioned closely to my side of it so that it can't slide or be pulled forwards and the small 'U' type for the rear that pinches and holds the butt of the rod firmly with either a baitrunner or 'pin.

I've never used a fighting drag reel so can't comment but basically if it's got a free-running mode, or is being fished bale arm open, then I can't see a problem.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Whether using multiple rods is a good idea or not depends on the water concerned and the methods being employed. It's an absolute anathema to many with a match or more traditional angling background. I spend the vast majority of my time float fishing with just a single rod. Very occasionally, on a low stock gravel pit, where bites are at a premium, I've fished two float rods. However, I've fished with the maximum allowable four rods on certain venues. It took me years to be comfortable fishing two rods in the same style, a few more to get to grips three. I've never managed to feel comfortable fishing four. Despite this willingness to fish multiple rods, when I feel it's safe and appropriate to do so, I've never really got to grips with how anyone can safely fish a float rod, or especially a pole, and a "sleeper" leger rod on the average water. There's far too great a chance of getting into a right pickle. On the rare occasions that a pole sees the light of day for me, any other rod stays firmly in the holdall whilst the pole is in use.

Obviously, I'm not averse to multiple rod use. However, I've seen more than enough examples of folks doing so inappropriately to understand where the idea of it being bad angling might come from. In certain styles of fishing, momentary loss of concentration can see a rod disappear into the water. The chances of that happening only increase if using two different set ups, especially with disparate methods. Some see a baitrunner as the answer to that problem. It certainly can be, but it opens up the possibility of more problems if there's any hint of weed or snags in the area you are fishing.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
My comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek. However, many of my Bad angling awards have been given as a result of mishaps occurring where sleeper rods have been involved...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Using a sleeper rod isn't something i'd do myself. It's just not how I fish, I either do one thing or the other.

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm a one -thing-or-the other kind of angler, as a rule, too. Practically everything I post on here, in terms of catches, involves busily fishing away for as many bites as I can get, usually on stick, waggler or pole. I can quite see how anglers fishing two rods can land themselves in a pickle - as I said when I started the thread and asked advice from those who do it!

When would I be interested in putting out a second rod? For instance, one place I'll be fishing in the close season is a shallow, snag-free and weed-free lake which has a head of medium size tench. Until it warms up, they're quite elusive. If you fish away busily - a small cage feeder 20-30m out would be typical - casting, twitching the bait, swapping this and that, the way anglers like myself do, you might get 3 or 4 if you're lucky. I don't see why you shouldn't put out a second rod with some kind of method feeder variant and a hard or durable bait, in a different spot, possibly fed differently, and give yourself a further chance. The rods are most likely to be lined up next to each other, even if only one is, so to speak, in your hand.

So, I was asking, if I can manage to put this nicely, for technical advice rather than approval :)

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Looking at your recent catches Kev, I'm not sure that you need one! However, if fishing a tougher venue than your old lake then maybe worth a go. Personally, I only tend to put a sleeper out [invariable a free running feeder] in the colder months - once things warm up it will just be the one rod for me. I was using a bait runner - a 4000 OC which I love as a reel, but it's really just too big for my 10' Diawa feeder rod so I have reverted to my old 2500 super GT & the fightin' drag works just fine in lieu of a bait runner.

nottskev

Reaction score
Looking at your recent catches Kev, I'm not sure that you need one! However, if fishing a tougher venue than your old lake then maybe worth a go. Personally, I only tend to put a sleeper out [invariable a free running feeder] in the colder months - once things warm up it will just be the one rod for me. I was using a bait runner - a 4000 OC which I love as a reel, but it's really just too big for my 10' Diawa feeder rod so I have reverted to my old 2500 super GT & the fightin' drag works just fine in lieu of a bait runner.

That's handy to know - I've half a dozen Shimano reels with that drag system, in 3000 and 4000 sizes, and I guessed it would work ok. There's a couple of places I like to fish where you don't catch that much, but the place appeals and it's satisfying when you get a couple. If you're only likely to get a handful of bites in 4 or 5 hours, it seems to me I might as well give myself an extra chance - it's not as if I'll be too busy to pay attention to a second rod!.

flightliner

Reaction score
Kev,I dont use sleeper rods but if yours rod is pointing towards your baited hook consider using a backlead.
Usually it's a backdrop bite with definate hook ups.

nottskev

Reaction score
Kev,I dont use sleeper rods but if yours rod is pointing towards your baited hook consider using a backlead.

A backlead? Is that to sink your line out of the way?

nottskev

Reaction score

A backlead? Is that to sink your line out of the way?

flightliner

Reaction score
Yes Kev, it lays whatver length of line along the bottom that you consider is required to not get in the way of a feeding fish bumping into a line and spooking it.
Used it loads in my carping days and am seriously thinking of ressurecting it for some of the fishing I do at this present time.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Either a free running set up or if fishery/club rules allow it Guru X safe system. I use a baitrunner facility,
Don't clip up, you can buy feeder rests with curved ends, these will stop the rod from going off the end of the rest
if you have not set baitrunner system, as I found out when I was feeder fishing one time, another lead/feeder system you could use are the interchangeable ones that are made by MAP and Preston Innovations, easy t change from a straight lead to feeder and vice versa without breaking set up down, a back lead will sink your line behind feeder but another way is to use the PI small feeder weights that do the same job.

nottskev

Reaction score
Yes Kev, it lays whatver length of line along the bottom that you consider is required to not get in the way of a feeding fish bumping into a line and spooking it.
Used it loads in my carping days and am seriously thinking of ressurecting it for some of the fishing I do at this present time.

Sounds like a good idea. I've hardly ever used two rods, and I always imagined that a fish being played on rod A could cross and tangle the line on rod B.

flightliner

Reaction score
Correct kev but beware of a near vertical line coming off the bottom somewhere much nearer to your rod that could possibly get in the way .

john step

Reaction score
On slow waters I use a second rod. My preferred way is to fish the second on a free running lead away to the right. The rests are within easy reach.
If carp are expected I use a back lead close in which keeps the line away from anything I am playing in front of me.

I use an alarm and a bait runner set to the circumstances.Soft enough to cushion but enough tension to act as a bolt. I tend to use beefed up gear for safety with the rod at an angle that it acts as a shock absorber rather like a quiver tip even if its a carp rod.

My eyes can't take staring at a float all day so when noshing its great to be able to reel in and let the alarm take the strain.

When deadbaiting or carping with more than one rod lets be honest, you are using one or two sleepers?