So Exactly Who and When....

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I am impressed, very impressed.

Please don't spoil things further, telling me you invented the first electronic bite alarm and/or the arlesey bomb.......

Ah, but, I know you didn't develop the first rod rest that didn't trap your line between the rod and the rest. Many (alright a few) credit this piece of innovation to man called something Walker, but how wrong those misguided folk are; t'was first documented by Aboriginals circa 48,179 years ago. A cave painting has been found that clearly depicts the usage of such a rod rest. Aboriginals are not often credited with being adept at mathematics but they deduced that with the rod blanks being the diameter that they were, the internal angle of the 'V' needed to be 28.7`.

Was that early dawn of man cave painting the worlds first forum ? Was Fred Bonney on plugging the Barbel Society or BS ? Did they hair rig their bait ? Did they use Goo ?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I am impressed, very impressed.

Please don't spoil things further, telling me you invented the first electronic bite alarm and/or the arlesey bomb.......

Sadly I cannot claim to have invented either. As I suspect you already know both were invented by Joost Vanderbakersdozen a 7th Generation Yorkshire Grit Farmer.Funnily enough I was discussing this only the other day with Matt Hayes,Terry Hearn and Pete Drennan at our weekly lunch meeting.

cg74

Reaction score
Was that early dawn of man cave painting the worlds first forum ? Was Fred Bonney on plugging the Barbel Society or BS ? Did they hair rig their bait ? Did they use Goo ?

Could well have been the early beginnings of the angling forum, but no plugging of any sort.

Funny you mention Gunk, as it seems the old saying; there's nothing new in angling, certainly rings true, it appears the Aboriginals were using Gunk as an attractor but unlike the poo we get, the original mix never contained "safe" inclusions like fluorescein, they used an extract taken from glowworms, I'm guessing that's why they populated Oz; to maintain the availability of the 'secret' glowy element.

Benny, I've had a look through me records and it would appear the Aboriginals were not hair rigging their baits but it does look rather like they banded baits off of the hook bend, so maybe they were getting there??

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I am afraid you are all wrong. You see back when the earth was a just barren rock cooling after its cataclysmic creation, the very rocky crevice which housed the primeval soup from which life itself first sprung was in fact located in what we now know as S. Africa.

This means that ALL inventions can in fact be traced back, and more so credited to, S.Africans and that nano second in time when a chemical reaction in the chemical soup created the first DNA chain. This went onto become simple singe cell organisms which evolved into bacteria, fungus, plants, invertebrates, fish, mammals, monkeys, man and finally of course, Richard Walker, the end state of human evolution and most perfect example of humanity we know of
:D

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Could well have been the early beginnings of the angling forum, but no plugging of any sort.

Funny you mention Gunk, as it seems the old saying; there's nothing new in angling, certainly rings true, it appears the Aboriginals were using Gunk as an attractor but unlike the poo we get, the original mix never contained "safe" inclusions like fluorescein, they used an extract taken from glowworms, I'm guessing that's why they populated Oz; to maintain the availability of the 'secret' glowy element.

Benny, I've had a look through me records and it would appear the Aboriginals were not hair rigging their baits but it does look rather like they banded baits off of the hook bend, so maybe they were getting there??

Very interesting Colin , like you said nothing new inangling , glow worms is a great idea , getting the batteries might be a bit fiddly though.

cg74

Reaction score
I am afraid you are all wrong. You see back when the earth was a just barren rock cooling after its cataclysmic creation, the very rocky crevice which housed the primeval soup from which life itself first sprung was in fact located in what we now know as S. Africa.

This means that ALL inventions can in fact be traced back, and more so credited to, S.Africans and that nano second in time when a chemical reaction in the chemical soup created the first DNA chain. This went onto become simple singe cell organisms which evolved into bacteria, fungus, plants, invertebrates, fish, mammals, monkeys, man and finally of course, Richard Walker, the end state of human evolution and most perfect example of humanity we know of
:D

Philip, while I wholly agree that the Walker chap was the epitome of the advanced state of human evolution. We the human race did NOT come out of South Africa, we started out from Etheopia and if we want to work our way backwards, the next link back descended from Chad.

Still the question that remains unanswered (though Skippy says it's restricted US military info), is the Trent the UK's finest coarse river?
I must admit I'm very intrigued as to where the worlds hardest fighting carp reside? I've heard rumours that the Vaal's carp take some beating (river or dam though?), but I'm still leaning towards a peak conditioned autumn caught Thames carp.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The UK's finest coarse river?
Under which definition of 'coarse' does this question originate?
Not refined, rough, rude, unpolished, gross.....................or the other one;)
Jerry