Software Counterfeiting

J

john ledger

Chris
The shop that built my computer have asked me to take the tower in and they will fix it for nothing.
I am more than annoyed because i paid ?800 for the computer and expected the genuine Windows XP not a copy.
The fact they want to sort it for nothing proves what they have been up to as they have never done anything for nothing in the past

C

Chris Pearson

John,
Might be worth asking them for a few upggrade freebies as compo given the illegality of their actions and the risk they have exposed you to!

Deanos

Reaction score
John, as they have tried it on with you in the first place, it may be in your interests to find out what the penalties are for using pirated Microsoft software.
Mention this to them, and suggest that they might wish to ?offer? you some form of recompense, financial or otherwise, they have tried to rip you off by the sound
of things!
As I am not clued up on things I.T maybe the boys on the site who are may advise you on this.
Chris...just seen your post and in full agreement!!!

E

Eric Hayes

If you have paid ?800 for it the least I would expect is a proper licensed copy of XP and all the drivers for your hardwear.

John does your tower have a license sticker on it somewhere? It's usually on the back of the case. If it doesn?t they should never have let you have it with the operating system on, Windows XP is licensed to the machine not the user.

Make sure they give you a genuine copy of XP with the license sticker, don't settle for anything less.

Failing that burn down their shop with them inside.

J

john ledger

Just come back from the shop,they have tried to take the icon out and failed.They have deceived me and are placing the blame on the previous owner.
Paid the full price for a counterfeit copy

E

Eric Hayes

Just out of interest John, what ethnicity are the proprietors?

C

Chris Pearson

John,
If I'm reading you correctly they are saying they won't do anything to help,if that is so and you paid them for the computer legitimately,talk to Trading Standards at Matlock,they'll have a field day with the retailer!!!
As far as I know the only legal way to sort it out is to do what I had to do,reformat and install a legitimate copy of XP which they should provide you with FOC.

J

john ledger

The shop had a good name in the area(i said HAD)and to be honest i have never had a problem until this came up.
Will take it up Chris but first i will get hold of the new owner and see what he is prepared to do,also i may get in touch with microsoft because i think there must be thousands who have been done.
If nothing is resolved i will go and see my mate who is in the CID and see what he suggest(knowing him he will handcuff me)

E

Eric Hayes

"Probably South African ......."

I Hope not, I've never met a nice one of them. ;)

chris wallace

Reaction score
Guys,

I work in IT and have built PCs etc.

There are several different versions of Windows.

For XP Pro, there is the OEM, retail and Corporate copies.

For XP Home, there is OEM and retail.

If you bought a PC with XP pre-installed, there should be a sticker on the case that looks like the one here. http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_COA.mspx

If this isn't on the case, then it should be on the booklet that came with the Windows XP. You should also recieve a windows XP CD. This will have an 'edge to edge' hologram label. This is a fancy printed label.

If you don't have thesticker, then you don't have a license and you will get problems.

T

tom riordan

Log onto microsofts website and ring the toll free number that is on there, they will send you a genuine copy of windows, you send them the copy the shop gave you and the address of the shop, they will sort out the rest and you end up with a genuine copy of windows. Microsoft have only purged their database of old educational/business serial numbers that are now obsolete/unused, also the known fraudulent serials(FCKW etc) that are regularly touted about on the open net. There have been thousands of genuine users caught in this latest purge, and Microsoft will sort you out if you ring them.

E

Eric Hayes

John I take it you don't want to disclose the ethnicity of the proprietors?

J

john ledger

Eric
Forgive me for not getting back to you earlier,fact is i am on dial up so the computer gets turned off a lot otherwise the wife gives me some.
The company is called PC PART X and have two shops in the area,the previous owner is the son of one of the largest fishing tackle shops in the area.The fact is i am self taught and have had the computer just over two years.
There is no sticker on the tower and i think i have been very gullible and partly to blame. Windows was installed in the shop by them and i took them on trust so i expect i have got what i deserve

E

Eric Hayes

Don't beat yourself up about it John (Ho Er fnar fnar fnar) No way are you to blame, like you said you was a beginner so how where you supposed to know about software licensing. If you still have the XP disk they gave you, you could try contacting Microsoft about it or your local trading standards agency. Or you could just put it down to experience and go to PC World or the like and buy a legitimate copy but it will set you back a few quid. I know you Yorkshire types arn't short of a few quid...

C

Chris Pearson

John,
Is the company still trading under the same name as when they sold it to you?
i.e. did the new owner buy the shops as a going concern,if so they still have legal responsibility under Sales of Goods Act (IMHO).
Also previous owner probably still has legal responsibility.
Either way it really isn't your fault,get them to sort it out,it will actually cost them half(if they're legitimate resellers) what it will cost you at retail,perhaps you could offer to go halves with them as a gesture then it will only cost you a quarter of retail.