Sorting out bigger roach.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Will do, next chance I have to fish is Saturday, forecast sunny, high pressure with a cold start. The little ones feed in virtually any conditions, is it the same for the larger ones?
Mark

I find the top conditions for roach and big/roach are more or less the same except for big roach its more crucial, IE they are more likely to play when the conditions really suit them.

I have sent you something in a PM that might help.

And the point about big roach standing off from the main feeding area I have also often found true. Often on a river it is worth trotting down further or even moving down a few yards. The big roach often hang back picking off tit bits while the smaller ones dive in. Same on a lake, try a few casts away from the feeding area every now and then.

markhib

Reaction score
Thankyou all very much, I missed dawn and dusk due to disorganisation and prior commitments. I will try bread next time but may wait a few weeks due to spawning. Also, I did cast around the baited area but that was down to me not being a very good caster.
Mark
Markg, haven't received a pm yet.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thankyou all very much, I missed dawn and dusk due to disorganisation and prior commitments. I will try bread next time but may wait a few weeks due to spawning. Also, I did cast around the baited area but that was down to me not being a very good caster.
Mark
Markg, haven't received a pm yet.

Sorry MarkH-I sent it to Greenie by mistake; I dont no why. I used to know what I was doing and then I joined FM and I got all confused with life. (smiley job)---Anyway, I have sent you the message. All the best--MarkG

Last edited:

paul1234

Reaction score
Maybe try a hooker pellet of some sort,fish just outside your feeding area keep feeding well don't be shy with the bait,maybe even go looking for the bigger roach,often the bigguns show themselves,rolling on the surface,specially during the fly hatch in the evening,saying that morning time is also good for pinpointing where the bigger fish are !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I may well be wrong here but reading the original thread by 'markhib' and others that follow, particularly those by Barbelboi, I'm not too sure what size of fish comes under the heading 'bigger roach'....
'Big roach' means different things to different people and whilst 'big' to most(?) folk is a fish over the magical 2lbs or so, many see a fish over 1lb as a 'better roach' simply because that's the best available from the waters they fish. For example, in some waters I fish they don't go over 1,5lbs BUT they are still the devil to catch and if you land one or two in a session you can say you've had a good day. A 2lb fish is definitely 'once in as blue moon' on this water !!
I might catch several around the 10" mark, then some 6/8" which can then lead onto a sudden and unexpected 1,25lb fish or two before ceasing to feed altogether for some reason known only to themselves.....Size is relative as they say............

What I'm attempting to say, is that IMHO, fishing for really 'BIG' roach, (those in excess of 2lbs or even 1,5lbs), is not altogether the same thing as catching the best from your water and if you do want to catch what I call 'super roach' then you have to have a different approach unless of course you have a water down the road where 2lb fish are on tap!!
As Barbelboi rightly says, and he knows better than most, BIG roach are only found in small numbers and, generally speaking will not be part of a shoal of smaller fish. maybe close by, but not likely to be part of a catch of smaller fish IMO.
No, you can't generalize around these matters and the odd fish of very good size can be caught among a general catch but if you really want to go for just 'super fish' then the approach has to be really thought about...........
All the well known rules apply, such as the time you fish etc not to mention the rare conditions needed when big fish feed which, from my experience is not too often! Personally, I think you have to set your stool out to really go for the biggest fish, make a plan, keep records of how, why and when, temperature (ambient and water) etc etc etc. and above all else be prepared for many blank days.... no, not days when a the odd 1lb fish comes to your net, but many days, weeks, nay months and years when anything over 2lbs remains a dream.

Many moons ago I did the same thing around tench and spent a great deal of time, money and effort reaching the goals I had set myself over a number of years and was successful to some extent and if you want to do the same with roach IMHO I suggest the task is even harder.................unless you have the balls for it!!!

Oh, just one minor point: IF you decide to go for 'super roach' you may find choosing the 'right' water in the first place a very good idea, and I don't mean one where a 2lb fish came out a couple of years ago, but one where the fish coming out are on the 'up' size wise..A water that is reaching it's peak, NOT one in decline. Now that does take dedication and 'ear to the ground' ................

If you want to have some idea of the effort it takes, and I've mentioned this before, then the John Bailey book of his exploits on the Wensum/Waveney etc in Norfolk is worth a read. He sat out in freezing temps for weeks at a time, in snow and with many blanks just to catch 'super roach', but then he was after fish of 3lbs or more......................He did it though!!

Some will have different ideas on approach and I hope they add them to this Thread...

ps The book is Roach - Gentle Giants and is quite a good reference book - for a start anyway!

pps In on section he talks about prebaiting with 1/2 gallon of casters at a time to achieve what he wanted and although this could be seen to be extreme it gives you an idea of the lengths some go to, juts to realise a dream.......................

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Good pont TeeCee. I class fish as small, average and above average for the water I am fishing. So big roach are just above the average size I normally get. Of course it pays to know your waters well and the fish in them to give this very loose broad classification. Not a purist approach but, it serves my purpose.
I have found two ways with these "big roach". One is where the odd big fish appear and in a couple of waters there are definite shoals of "big roach" , usually of a pound to 1.5 lb or so. These shoals only feed sporadically when the conditions are particularly good for roach whereas the average and smaller shoals feed more frequently. I have found on these waters, fishing for these shoals a waste of time unless the conditions are right. I would rather be fishing for something where the conditions are good. As to the odd big fish, well they can happen anytime but, still more likely to when they are happy with their environment, ie, temps, wind, weather, etc.. that's where my logs and excel come in. Some call it fishing by numbers, not me, I call it being in the right place at the right time for the right fish.
Add-time is precious, fishing time more so, why waste it,

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
With big carp fishing so popular these days and the chances of a big barbel a more realistic target I wonder how many fishermen actually fish for very big roach these days. Ask on FM about favourite species and the majority will say roach but that's not the same as fishing for them as a single species, is it?
I have moved on from a water containing some fairly good fish (but nothing exceptional, or so it would seem!) simply because I need a change of scenery and a new challenge and, just maybe, the chance to catch the odd very big fish.
Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods big roach still waters are few and far between (as far as I know anyway) so it seems highly likely I will have to go further afield to be in with a 'realistic' chance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not after 2lb + fish and nothing else will do, but more to know the water in front of me has the potential to produce and any skill I have will hopefully then serve to winkle them out if I put in the time....

For me it's a case of having the time, means and desire, but at this precise moment, not the right water, so I have to do more research and perhaps join another club to find one but even that is not a simple matter.... Either that, or move home !!

Perhaps we need a 'Roachfishers Club' along the lines of The Tenchfishers .........

Last edited:

markhib

Reaction score
For me Tee-Cee, as I said, bigger roach means 1lb plus. A 1.5 lb fish would be magical. I've been told of fish over a pound and saw one once in a heron's beak. There are a good few pike in the lake, a catfish (reportedly), a pair of kingfishers, a heron and there used to be one cormorant, which I don't think fared very well as the water is never very clear. So there is a good chance of some bigger fish surviving, given the number of small ones.
Mark

paul1234

Reaction score
And another thing,bigger roach ,well from my experience feed better when its overcast,and gale force winds(s/sw)!!!at least on the few pits I've fished anyway and have very short feeding spells like 15/20minutes in a day,not sure if river roach like these conditions mind you :s,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterjg

Reaction score
Tee-Cee is spot on. Big roach (2lb plus) are swines. I've been following this thread with great interest, I've posted before on this subject. To catch 1lb plus fish then I suggest as bait wheat, corn or bread crust - eventually the 1lb plus roach will come along.
Tee-Cee implies that a different attitude to your fishing is needed. One of the biggest problems is that nowadays carp are in most waters so using a bait which will deter small roach to take the bait usually results in a carp picking up the bait and either smashing the hook link and/or wrecking the swim.
The problems are many. I suggest that one looks for a water with either no or few carp in it - that also holds big roach. Favourite baits include 8mm hard pellets, 10mm mini boilies or pieces of Haribo sweets (seriously). The fishing is very slow and you have to be really determined. Catching big roach (1lb 8oz plus) is the hardest target - big carp (35lb plus) are comparitively simple to catch.

Now to blow my above listed baits out of the window! I've caught 2lb roach on casters (2) and maggots (3). However; if you really want big roach think mini carp tactics where there are no carp!

Last edited:

sampras43

Reaction score
Before I took up fishing again at the start of this season I would have said a big roach was over a lb, but then all my fishing up to last year had been many moons ago and all on the river Ouse. Nowadays from what I can tell it totally depends on the waters you're fishing. There were no commies or pits back in my youth where a lot of these bigger roach tend to reside. I would say a lb is a big roach and anything ove 2lb is a fish of a lifetime. But what do I know...it's all relative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I suppose if we really get desperate and really HAVE to catch some really BIG roach, then we should organise a trip to Lochnaw Castle in south west Scotland.....pretty much THE place to catch not only big roach, but VERY big roach!!

Read the 'Travelling Man' website for this place and have a look at some very nice fish up around the 3lb mark..

I may have to move.................................

ps Willow Pool in Oxfordshire also worth a look and that's pretty close to me, but maybe it's past it's best now. Ho Hum..

keep looking Tee-Cee, keep looking..

markhib

Reaction score
Tee-Cee is spot on. Big roach (2lb plus) are swines. I've been following this thread with great interest, I've posted before on this subject. To catch 1lb plus fish then I suggest as bait wheat, corn or bread crust - eventually the 1lb plus roach will come along.
Tee-Cee implies that a different attitude to your fishing is needed. One of the biggest problems is that nowadays carp are in most waters so using a bait which will deter small roach to take the bait usually results in a carp picking up the bait and either smashing the hook link and/or wrecking the swim.
The problems are many. I suggest that one looks for a water with either no or few carp in it - that also holds big roach. Favourite baits include 8mm hard pellets, 10mm mini boilies or pieces of Haribo sweets (seriously). The fishing is very slow and you have to be really determined. Catching big roach (1lb 8oz plus) is the hardest target - big carp (35lb plus) are comparitively simple to catch.

Now to blow my above listed baits out of the window! I've caught 2lb roach on casters (2) and maggots (3). However; if you really want big roach think mini carp tactics where there are no carp!
Interesting points Peter. When you suggest mini carp tactics, do you mean heli rigs and hair rigs? I presume the hard pellet is banded. I've asked this before but would larger roach take fake corn, or a mixture of real and fake maggots? Would the smaller roach ignore them?
Mark

peterjg

Reaction score
Markhib - re your post. I must admit that although I have caught a few fish on fake baits I have no faith in them at all ( I should try harder).

As for rigs, yes I do sometimes use a helicopter rig for roach (in lakes) with pellets, wheat (great roach bait) or maggots on the hook. I don't use two- hook rigs and my hook length is usually a bit longer than in 'roach' articles at around 8 inches with hooklink usually being 0.14mm line (due to carp and tench). I use mini baitrunner reels with the clutch set fairly loose due to tench or carp picking up the bait. Usually but not always bites from roach are a bit jerky, bream usually result in drop backs and carp and tench just scream off. Leads or feeders need to be at least 1oz for the helicopter rig - I used to do an awful lot of carp fishing and eventually realised that I had just as many runs on a 1oz lead as a did using a 3oz lead!
If I'm using bigger baits such as mini boilies, pellets or bits of Haribo sweets I usually use a running rig. You have to be really patient as bites are very far and few between.

However; given the choice I would much rather roach fish with float tackle laying-on in the edge!

markhib

Reaction score
Cheers Peter, I'm leaving them until they've spawned now. Then I'll try the float again but it will be good to have another couple of methods to fall back on.
Mark

no-one in particular

Reaction score
For me it's a case of having the time, means and desire, but at this precise moment, not the right water, so I have to do more research and perhaps join another club to find one but even that is not a simple matter.... Either that, or move home !!

Perhaps we need a 'Roachfishers Club' along the lines of The Tenchfishers .........

You may have already done something like this but, when I move to a new area I get a ordinance survey map. Note any bits of blue and over time I investigate them. Sometimes they just turn out to be dried up farm puddles but, sometimes not. Finding out if you can fish them is another matter but, you may just find a good water. The one I mentioned that holds some good shoals of roach around a 1lb was found like this. You wouldn't look twice at it ; narrow, not very deep and the obligatory super market trolly but, walking up stream it gets better and its free fishing and nobody hardly fishes it. My theory is if roach can reach a 1lb + and still be in a shoal then, there must be 2lb roach somewhere in it. These shoals have not thinned out to there last one or two fish yet, if you see what I mean. So, my tip TeeCee or anyone is have a good look at a ordinance survey map first before giving up, don't rely on known waters and there reputations, you may just find a undiscovered gem. A long shot maybe but, worth a shot.

dr_matt

Reaction score
There is a lake that I thought I knew very well. I had my own favourite swims where I could always count on pretty nice roach (10-11''). From time to time I managed to catch a roach of 12'' (up to 1lb). So I had no reasons to complain and was always happy with that. Until I met a fisherman who told me that the biggest roach fed on the opposite bank - in a very deep (19ft) water. He showed me a few photos of really big roach (14-16''), so I suppose some of them might have been over 2lb! That was 2 weeks ago. Since the roach are now spawning we decided to wait and come back to this swim later. So, I live in hope that maybe after a few weeks I'll be able to show off my first 2lb roach :)
Or, as they say… Dream on! :)

frederico

Reaction score
Re: Sorting out bigger roach

Seperating the larger roach from the smaller ones is something I have done quite a lot of on my local waters, trying to catch fish of 1lb+ like the original poster stated, and the best bait I have used is prawns.

I know they're hardly classic roach bait but they don't seem to be banned at many places and they do catch you a bigger stamp of fish, not only roach either, I've had bream to 5lb, tench to 4lb, even double figure carp, as well as plenty of quality roach. I think the reason prawns are so effective is that not many people use them, so the wise old roach (and other quality fish) don't see them as a threat. They are also just to big for the small roach to fit in their mouths!

I use sainsburys basics prawns as they're inexpensive and pretty small. I feed them chopped up into small pieces and feed little but not very often as I find creating any sort of feeding rhythm simply attracts the small roach, so I keep it irregular and wait for a bite. They can be fished on the tip, the waggler or the pole, the latter being my favourite as it gives the best presentation but the other methods can work just as well. I also find it important using light gear as big roach are very shy, going no heavier than 0.012mm line (3lb) and using hooks no larger than a 16.

The problem with prawns is that they're unselective species wise, but you know that when the float goes under or the tip goes round it's going t be a quality fish.

Good luck in your big roach quest, in my opinion they're one of the most rewarding species to catch.

laguna

Reaction score
I agree, if bigger roach are present then a diversion tactic often works.
Fish the outside perimeter of the feed area to bag the odd one or two bonus big fish. Little fish tend to stick together and do not mix with the big boys. To increase your chances further, fish a bottom bait and feed the little uns off up in the water with a cascade of crushed 'active' and falling hemp particles.