Spoke to a Greenpeace activist

njb51

Reaction score
Well, apparently all the govenment are doing to combat climate change is to tell us to switch off the lights we are not using...

njb51

Reaction score
Her enthusiasm seemed to suggest that it couldn't fail.

Needless to say I was less optimistic and simply laughed.

S

Sean Meeghan

I've been a member of Greenpeace for 25 years and I can vouch for the fact that some of our grass roots members are a little wolly between the ea... err no...on their science.

Call me an ageing hippy if you like.

And a lot of it is to do with farts... and NOx..... and Co2.... but not the CO2 we exhale - thats carbon neutral.

Come to think of it if everyone who drove a car didn't exhale......

S

Sean Meeghan

I've just worked it out with a pencil (!)

I've been a member for over 30 years.

Call me an ancient hippy

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I didn't see you on any of the Aldermaston marches or the trips to Holy Loch Sean .......

Do you remember marching ,chanting :

Och,Och

We're off to Holy Loch

'Cos we do not want Polaris........

(and we got it anyway)

S

Sean Meeghan

I had long hair and a beard then so you wouldn't recognise me. I was a very good climber /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

And anyway certain bits of the 70s are a bit fuzzy!

captain carrott

Reaction score
now as you all know.

carbon dioxide is a green house gas, but. methane is a far more dangerous greenhuse gas it's about 3 times as effective at riasing the temperature as CO2.

as many of you may be aware, eating a diet which is high in food stuffs like beans and pulses, tends to make you fart a lot.

now vegetarians, tend to eat diets which are high in beans and pulses and therefore obviously produce far more farts than the normal average person.

did you however know that farts are made up of methane and smell.

so if you really want to save the planet,

eat a vegetarian.

S

Sean Meeghan

But if they're stuffed full of veg won't they make you fart?

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Speaking of farts ........

A mate was telling me that in New Zealand farmers pay a fart tax for each head of livestock to offset their carbon footprint!!!/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

M

MarkTheSpark

Anyone who doesn't believe climate change is a problem is an idiot. Anyone who doesn't believe we have caused it is simply unaware of the facts, or an idiot.

In the next 20 years, my daughter will witness appalling crop failures and food shortages, water shortages, mass migrations, cataclysmic weather events, famine and the extinction of hundreds of wild animals - gone. For good.

Sit around and joke about it all you like, but this is the legacy we have left for her. I, for one, am rather glad that I'll be dead by then and thus won't have to look her generation in the eye and explain why I didn't riot on the streets to force my government to do something about it.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Also .....

If veggies fart a lot 'cause of their diet, perhaps we should make them eat meat!!

After all, the livestock are causing more problems than humans, ergo, veggies can clean up the ozone by preventing hazardous farts all round.

Next: the scientists on the government payroll who proliferate the global warming theory, they are all full of sh... and that leads to more farts!

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Mark the Spark

Are you telling me that you believe this crap? If you really think the human race is responsible all on it's own then you are, I firmly believe, truly an egotist.

How many millions of tons of leaves will hit the ground in the next month and sit there to rot? How many animals are there alive on the earth at the present time? Are they not adding to the problem? Should we cull all life except mankind to ease the problem? Cut down the trees to alleviate the leaf problem? Poison the seas and waterways to prevent the decaying bio-masses from adding their own effect?

Mankind does not and will not have any effect on this issue as long as my arse has a hole in it.

S

Sean Meeghan

My conscience is (relatively) clear Mark. In 1975 I reaerched and wrote a paper on chemistry in the environment. The writing was on the wall then only nobody seemed to be able to readit. I'm able to have a joke about it, but I do try to educate people while I'm doing it.

The ironic thing is that one technology that I used to get hot under the collar about - nuclear fission - might be our only viable way out of this mess. The problem is that many environmentalists can't bring themselves to accept this and keep banging on about renewables and being carbon neutral. The sad fact is that we have to be carbon negative not neutral.

And Gary, you're right. Mankind won't have a serious effect on this issue as long as your a*se has a hole in it - its our childrens a*ses we need to be worrying about. If we take concerted action now they have a chance. If we don't they've had it.

Now back to the light hearted banter!

T

The Monk

Anyone who doesn't believe climate change is a problem is an idiot. Anyone who doesn't believe we have caused it is simply unaware of the facts, or an idiot.

I`m glad you said climate change and not global warming Mark, I`m convinced that man has had an effect on climate change, but I`m not convinced on how much, I`ve read quite a number of papers on this while reading for an MSc in environmental management and sustainable development, one of the most surprising pieces of research I saw was the effect of the industrial revolution on CO2 emmissions between 1750 until 1996, the indication suggested quite the opposite to what at leastI would have expected, Phil Hackett will beable to explainthis better than me.

Phil!!!

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Climate change?

Man made? Hogwash.

Mind you, higher taxes will stop it.

Regards,

Lee.