Spring?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Funnily enough I was corvid spotting this morning. There are a pair of ravens that seem to live just to the north of our house in some woods. But today one of them was in the trees on our south boundary and I had some binoculars handy in the camper van. It did exactly as you described; took a long tome to chew through a large twig and then discarded it.

Back in the UK I had the role of thinning out the rooks and crows on our shoot. At this time of year I'd be looking for crow nests and either luring them to the shotgun with decoys or putting Larsen traps out. I'd also spend three days in the rookery thinning the squabs out using an air rifle.

Maybe people should pay a little more attention to the invasive s*** pumps called canada goose , Crows & Rooks are both native to the country i know the shootie shootie clan dont like them but hey i dont approve of the shootie shootie clan so stalemate ..:wh :)

PG ..

nicepix

Reaction score
Maybe people should pay a little more attention to the invasive s*** pumps called canada goose , Crows & Rooks are both native to the country i know the shootie shootie clan dont like them but hey i dont approve of the shootie shootie clan so stalemate ..:wh :)

PG ..

Its all about redressing the balance. Whenever you cultivate a field you change the balance. Same when you rear and release game birds or graze animals on fields.

Canada geese and pigeons were culled to protect the crops in late spring through to autumn. But at this time of year the priority is reducing predation from corvids. Our shoot bordered a country park and when the farmers applied for countryside stewardships subsidies the land was assessed and found to have more wildlife than the neighbouring country park where no corvid and squirrel control was undertaken.

flightliner

Reaction score
Its all about redressing the balance. Whenever you cultivate a field you change the balance. Same when you rear and release game birds or graze animals on fields.

Canada geese and pigeons were culled to protect the crops in late spring through to autumn. But at this time of year the priority is reducing predation from corvids. Our shoot bordered a country park and when the farmers applied for countryside stewardships subsidies the land was assessed and found to have more wildlife than the neighbouring country park where no corvid and squirrel control was undertaken.

True NP , a friend helps keep the squirrels down on an estate between Barnsley and Sheffield.
last summer the lady of the house approached him and said how nice it was to hear a long not heard of dawn chorus on account of his two year efforts.

nicepix

Reaction score
Had a similar thing on a small shoot I had near Ryhill reservoir. The elderly farmer's wife mentioned that she hardly got any birds coming to the bird table despite the very rural location. A couple of year's of Larsen trapping reduce the problem of magpie predation on songbirds and she had a full house on her bird table.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score

I can wholehartedly say yes to control of non native invasive species like the gray squirrel, canada goose & carp but not to the eradication of native species

PG ..

nicepix

Reaction score
It isn't eradication. It is controlling the numbers to better manage the ecology of an area.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
When I was a kid magpies were a rarity in towns so were seagulls.
Now have Magpies increased because of reduced shooting in Rural areas and why have Gulls come inland.

I always know its spring when I don't need my lights on when cycling home.

nicepix

Reaction score
One reason is that there is a lot of food in urban areas compared to what there used to be. Town centres are littered with chips, burger buns, kebabs and all the stuff just chucked out of car windows.

Also, there is a theory that gulls came inland because of inshore fish shortages and found easy pickings on council tips and newly ploughed fields. Many gulls now breed inland, never seen the sea. A bit like Brummies :D

Got to admit these longer, lighter days are much more pleasant for walking the dog early and late.