Starting Carping Part 13 ? Long Range Casting

T

Terry Edmonds

not a bad guide

45lb braid is not strong enough for more powerfull OTG styles in fact the standard OTG cast shouldnt be used on a carp lake due to the arc and path of the lead being dangerous to other anglers along the bank, a unitech cast is just as effective more accurate and safer due to it being virtually over your head.

When you overhead cast if you raise the right arm (for a right hander) high and straight above your head you will create a bigger arc thus faster lead speed remember the rod acts as a lever all the power/speed in this case will be with the left arm, the right acts as a pivot point.

Also you do not need to swing the lead with an overhead cast in fact swinging the lead away from the rod can put the lead in the wrong place, ruining your timing and accuracy of casts far better to alter your drop for more compression ;0)

Also when you start hitting real big distances mono will out cast braid ;0)

There are lots of other points that can be added to fine tune your overhead cast and most anglers can hit 140 - 150 yds with a bit of help and practise.

as a general guide a good bit of writing but the OTG is really not a good idea

cheers,
Terry

F

Frothey

Hi Tel(20) ;)

The OTG i've shown isnt that different to the uni-tech is it? the leads only just outside the line. my right shoulders a bit knackered (old war wound) so cant straighten it properly which probably pulls it around a bit. that, and putting a twist in the body.

i've always followed the 10lb/oz plus 10lb...still, better than those using 15lb straight through on horsesheoe.

i can hit 150 overhead - its more than 25yds to 175 though isnt it (if you know what i mean!)

T

Terry Edmonds

yeah the cast you show is a sort of inbetween an otg and unitech and would be safe to somebody who knows what they are doing unfortunately as you know many dont and thats why i dont think otg should be encouraged seen to many dangerous snap offs.

OTgs and unitech are dofferent casts so in my opinion just showing a unitech would be safer.

10lb to every ounce is spot on with powerfull beach rods carp rods are more forgiving so the BS can safely be lowered but no to 15 lb LOL

try straightening your right arm above your head and just pull with the left next time you have a cast the right arm dont really do anything ;0)

give it ago m8 bigger arc and more lead speed drop down to your spigot

yeah anything above 150yds starts getting harder LOL

cheers

B

Big Rik

Terry
It seems you know a fair bit, so any chance of you producing a further article to compliment Frothey's?

T

Terry Edmonds

Rik,

i have done a few articles in the past for a few of the mags i may have one still on my computer in my files not sure about the photos though???

I have a more advanced one unitech casting that could be handy.

If people are interested i will, get some photos done and put them up

I think that frothey done a good job with his article as writing about casting techniques is very hard to make interesting and i hoped i helped constructively :0)

cheers

F

Frothey

if it got boring we could have a long chat about the merits of diamite tip rings to really spice things up!

second thoughts, dont think i could handle the excitement....lol!

Terry - do you think the Trebuchet could be improved if carp anglers werent so obsessed with thin blanks? I've seen a lot of bass rods outcast the best carp rods, chucking the same size leads and retaining a better playing action.

T

Terry Edmonds

you probably know that i helped in the design of the trebuchet im not a rod designer i just get the prototypes interchnage tips and butts until i found what i was looking for a rod that can cast a longway infact a very longway but still has some action left for playing fish with its a good rod :0)

the problem is as you rightly said is that it has to sell as well, and anglers prefer thick walled thin blanks i dont, they are often un balanced and often heavier than the thin walled thicker blanks.

Bass rods often have soft tips and firm butts classic sea fishing action but hard to load fully with overhead and OTG styles you need the firmer tip to load the butt quicker and keep in contact with the lead

To be fair the trebuchet isnt that thin compared to freespirit for instance so some balanced has been kept.

The newer surf rods such as bass rods are getting thinner as well esepcially the newer zzippys i have been using on the field recently but funny enough they are getting softer, due to improved glass materials for rods to keep the cost down as well as carbon is so expensive at the moment.

There is always room for improvement in rods the 13ft trebuchet is a great rod, but if i could change anything it would be slightly lighter and maybe slightly more parabolic but otherwise i really like it ( which i would LOL)

diamite tip rings no thanks you can keep them to bulky and slows tip recovery in my opinion :0)

cheers

Blunderer

Reaction score
Frothey
I promised to report results. I followed your advice and comfortably managed 100-110 yards+ on the overhead cast (with 12lb mono) but I didn't really push it as I found a lovely patrol route at that range.

For the record I had 3 fish, a 25lb ghostie, a 23lb mirror and a 19lb common. Big fish for the North West so I am delighted.

Thanks again for the article - your words definitely helped me catch those fish.