STI vs Cyfish +

Carpless

Reaction score
Ok so after a not so pleasurable winter season so far in my cypry dome i'm dying for a new biv. I'm down to 2 and i'm sure you can guess which considering the title. The STI is the one man twin skin version and the cyfish + also a one man. Heard there's some groundsheet issues with each one but both are pretty decent bivvies. The cyfish + seems to have more options as it can be single skinned, am i right in saying that ventilation mozzie nets prevent the sti from being waterproof as a single skin? They seem pretty similar so if anyone who owns one or knows a bloke who owns one i would value your opinion. So which one to go for?

cheers

firetiger

Reaction score
do some digging , i think there made at the same place. there are loads of bivvie's out there, some good and some not so good.

if you are serious look at the aqua or tracker jobbies, the made in uk ones, expensive ? yes but the quality is second to none.

C

Cakey

Ill stick with my stealth system and bivvy heater......................

Paul B

Reaction score
Just sold my cyfish+ 1 man. A decent enough bivvy if you use a barrow or don't mind taking a seperate bivvy bag. I like to get my shelter in my quiver so have been using my reflex brolly and have just got an A.I. bivvy, the nylon one comes with a free overwrap at present.
The cyfish groundsheet issue is only that it weighs so much, leave at home and get a 6' x6'(?3ish) lightweight one from a camping shop! The bivvy plus front weighs 6kgish and is easy enough to put up/down; solid once it's up and it even goes back in the bag quite easily if you leave the groundsheet out!

Carpless

Reaction score
thanks paul. Can you tell me if the cyfish has a velcro groundsheet or not? cheers

Paul B

Reaction score
It doesn't mate, it has rings that are held on the groundsheet by elastic which you peg down with the bivvy. Go toTHIS PAGE for a set of instructions on putting up the cyfish.

Carpless

Reaction score
hmm. ok. how that affect it? does anything tuck under to seal it? My concern is that on uneven ground there may be gaps between the pegs? ever an issue? want to keep bugs and rats out. the rats are particularly cheeky where i fish. one found its way past my bedchair to the back of my biv looking for food.

Paul B

Reaction score
To be honest I've not used the supplied groundsheet, just a 6' x 4'lightweight one and always have the door open myself. There is a skirt at the bottom of the bivvy walls which you could lay the groundsheet on top of if you wanted.
You can have the door open and still keep out rats, that is open at the top ,a couple of feet of door closed at bottom.

wayne brooks

Reaction score
you won't stop a rat getting in if theres food about mate trust me. i once had those fox method bowls. picked it up in the morning and it was like a fruity on repeat jackpot!!!

keep edible stuff in buckets and don't drop any food and you should be alright.

failing that buy a gat gun lol

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Ifi remember you can get the STi with out the mossie net breathing panels. These are not waterprof but are excellent in the summer.

Carpless

Reaction score
i think from what i've seen bryan, that the sti comes with the mozzie nets as standard but they have a zip up waterproof bit to go over them should it rain. The thing is i'm torn between the versatility of the cyfish i.e. you can have it single skin and twin skin and the sti with its velcro groundsheet. Even though i do have food and that kept away i cannot sleep until i know the biv is nice and locked up. Cannot stand rats and they seem to be abundant at the few places i fish. What are you saying wayne? you had an experience with a rat chewing through the biv of something? eek. I'll have a look on ebay for a gattling gun lol.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The STi comes as a single skin which you can had a overwrap to. This gives you the bivvy with out the mossy mesh.

With regards to the sealing of the bivy trust me they will get in if they want. I shared mine one weekend with a mouse. I t got in when the doors were open and did not leave till i packed up.