strawberry boilies

cookey

Reaction score
im still getting fairly good results on strawberry boilies good solid runs but as the weather is starting to get colder should i think about a more spicey type of boilie or just keep going on the strawberry till they have had enough

F

Frothey

that depends on the makeup of the strawberry flavour..... and the spice one......

Lord Paul

Reaction score
interesting article in one of the carp mag - saying try introducing small amounts of the bait you intend to use in the colder months in with your Summer bait - the carp get used to this "Safe" bait and readily take it once youstart to use it as hook bait

F

Frothey

to be honest paul, unless you are on a small syndicate so many different baits go into lakes these days it doesn't really matter. and if you are catching well on a bait, why change it? even most fishmeals are "four season" baits these days, just lower the heavy oil content during the winter.

F

Frothey

if you are worried about flavours, find out what type of base they are on - you wouldn't want to change from strawberry on an ethyl alchohol type base to a spice on an oil base is the waters cold (for example) as it wont disperse as well, unless you are using some form of emulsifier (and thats another can of worms!)

likewise, the pH of the flavour might be of more relevance anyway......

issimmo

Reaction score
I say if you are catching well on strawberry then don't change your flavor just change the base of it. Go from oil, PG to EA and you will probably catch almost like in summer. Anyway a EA flavor will disperse better in cold water than PG.

F

Frothey

dont forget it will be completely different to thecarp though.... changing from PG to EA youmight as well change the flavour....

F

Frothey

the same way as shop bought ones..... depends on the ingredients.

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
eggs, soya flour, pudding rice, ground rice and I am now flavouring them with Carp Vader bait dip.

R

Roto Fryer

I would look at increasing the nutritional value of your boilie. if you do a search there is a recipie or two on here.

R

Roto Fryer

<blockquote class=quoteheader>jumpin jimbo wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>eggs, soya flour, pudding rice, ground rice and I am now flavouring them with Carp Vader bait dip.</blockquote>

Nutritionally it is crap! will catch but at a far lower rate than something with a better nutritional value. As I said look at improving the ingredients.

look at this

and these

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Thanks Roto, lots of interesting reading there, will have a good look at it all. Have put the second link on my desktop. Will be attempting some improvements later today !

R

Roto Fryer

i would do a bit more research before doing anything. change your baits through knowledge rather than just for the sake of it.

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
yeah, sure thing Roto, I wont just pick out some ingredients and chuck em in without knowing what it is and why I am doing it first.