Summer Trent Barbel Fish-in

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Well done Lee , Barbelmeister Clay & all who caught.It sounds like a great success.

Sorry I couldn,t make it but a combination of work & family reasons mean actual fishing is off the agenda for a month or two I fear.

H

Herr General Swordsy

Jim was on his way home as I left.

Yes it was a great session I had two barbel of 7lb 12oz and 6lb 12oz plus some bootlaces. I also lost a very good fish within half an hour of starting, Fox mega-braid is losing its apeal with me as thats the second big fish lost on it this year, it is good but has questionable abrassion resistance.

J

jason fisher

cheers lee.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed it, lucky sods, wish i could have been there

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The 3 roach were a big suprise going 1, 1.5 & 2Ib also the size of the eels i had one around the 2Ib mark and Jim got one int the rgion of 3.5Ib we did not weigh any of the fish due to the high temps prefaring to realease ASAP.

great time and looking forward to th next one.

M

matt thomas

really enjoyed it and it was great to meet some of you,even though i blanked it was enough to see a few fish on the bank for other folk,i would like to thank Lee for getting us together for a bit of a 'do'and also Matt Brown for letting me 'pick his brains'on more than one occassion
cheers all
matt

F

Fred Bonney

Sounds great lads,loved to have been there.
Bryan what did you get the roach on?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Fred. 14mm Halibuts wrapped in paste. Hair rigged on a size 8 ESP Raptor.The paste was proberbly gone when they took as the baits were out for quite a while.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Phew, that was hot! It was great to meet many of you for the first time and despite the fishing being hard in the people caught a Barbel or three.

I'll not say any more about what happened or who caught what because I want to leave that for Lee and/or Ron to do with their write up!

If anyone wants me to send them photos from the weekend, my e-mail address is matt@mattbrown.co.uk

Let me know if you're on Broadband so I can work out whether to send full size or compressed photos through.

F

Fred Bonney

Ta Bryan,I've had them out,not to your size though,on bits of lob,so,interesting.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I am absolutely delighted about the roach.

Did you get photos Byron? Send them to Graham to include in our report.

Whilst I was by my rods I saw a fish come almost right out of the water in a head and tail roll. It was a fish certainly over 2 lbs and glinting in the sunlight I couldn't mistake the silvery flanks and red fins. A roach I am sure and a big one too.

Come autumn I think I shall give the Trent some serious stick float fishing consideration.

Last year I met a local club member. He was setting up to do a bit of trotting with the stick. He was obviously a good angler judging by his tackle and approach. When I asked him about roach his eyes had that merry twinkle as he looked at me and said: "I do get a few nice ones from time to time."

Paul B

Reaction score
Had a brilliant time; thanks to Lee for setting it up and to Matt and Ron for local knowledge.
Looking forward to the next one.

M

Mr. Uncredible

Well done everyone - although a bit slow it's sounds cracking. One or two quality fish in there. Can't wait for the report Lee, I know it'll be good.

Nigel, with regards to - "Sorry I couldn't make it but a combination of work & family reasons mean actual fishing is off the agenda for a month or two I fear." This sounds like hell! Can't stand it when I can't go for a week.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Well done lads, sounds like you all had a great time. Roach on 14m/m halibuts!!!! Fair play to that!

Looking forward to the article and pictures, next time I will join you for sure!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Only managed a pic of the smallest one on its own. everybody still asleep. The last and biggest was while everybody was around but i had already packed the camera away as we were packing up and about to bring rods in.

Ron i had my stick float rod but had no reel for it we will definatly be taking a few maggots next time. There were roach topping right down the centre on my peg all weekend.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I get the feeling that some areas of the Tidal Trent just might great roach potential. Think about it.

Most Trent anglers these days use barbel tackle for obvious reasons. Most Trent matches are fished at the worst time to catch big roach: eg: 10 am to 3 pm.

I think that any enterprising angler who targets roach by fishing into the evening with suitable roach tackle could get a few surprises. To target roach I would suggest using baits like stewed wheat or bread flake. During the early 60s myself and a few friends used to fish the Trent at Cottam. We took excellent nets of big roach and I am talking about many fish over a pound.

H

Herr General Swordsy

Come on lads E-mail me your catch totals with a brief description of what the winning method was :O)

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Graham, Lee, Ron,

Who wants the photos and are you on broadband?

I'll just pick out the best ones and I'm going to make a collage out of the head shots.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Good idea Matt.

I'm on broadband.

I'll put my little report into Graham this evening.