Tackle Terminology

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Jim.

Their abilities as anglers I didn't question but they have a habit of making up descriptions of everyday items that already have a perfectly suitable description that is known throughout the world, fishing tackle being just one of them.

Why they feel the need to change these I can never understand, worse still for us to even think of copying them is, to me, incomprehensible.

W

Woody (Cheeky Monkey)

I'll tell you the one item of tackle that needs to change its name before our tackle companies get sued under the trade descriptions act. That's the "unhooking mat".

I've bought five different makes now and not one of them works. You put a fish on it, wait a couple of minutes and nothing happens. Eventually YOU have to take the hook out yourself.

Complete waste of money.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Ha Ha Ha!!!

We all do copy them Graham. Virtually all the technological terms covering computers are American.

The Americans love to "Canonize" fishing techniques with a name. The one that comes to mind here is the "Leisenring Lift" which means the induced take when fishing on rivers.

Even South African English is very Americanized.

For example, if you mention in SA that you are going to see a solicitor, they will think you are going to find a lady of easy virtue. The term there is Attorney or Lawyer.

An estate car is called a station wagon in SA. A mobile phone is called a cell phone, a cash point is called an ATM (Automatic Teller Machine) A cashier in a bank is called a teller, You don't post things in SA you mail them, It's called a drivers licence not a driving licence, a motorway is called a highway and a roundabout is called a traffic circle.

An island is something in the middle of a lake or a sea!!

And in SA they have never heard of the word: trousers. They are known as Pants.

Neither jumper. It's called a jersey or a sweater.

I could think of hundreds of terms in SA and other commonwealth countries that have been Americanized

W

Woody (Cheeky Monkey)

"An estate car is called a station wagon in SA"

I've got a Shooting Brake.

Work that one out, Ron!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Usually a hook length can be anything from 12 to 18 inches.
but the length of a hook is about half an inch.

W

Woody (Cheeky Monkey)

It was my mother always called an estate a shooting brake. I think it came from the days of old when shooters bought the (half timbered too) for their shooting trips. Where the brake came from I don't know.

Estate is wrong - Estates is where people live.
Station wagon is wrong - it goes to places other than a station.

I like "tourer" because it is for people who tour and take loads of stuff with them.

W

Woody (Cheeky Monkey)

So "What shooting brake have you got Woody?"

It's a ZT-T, an MG ZT-Tourer.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Dear All,

We have different terminology within U.K. angling, too - hook-length, hooklink and tail (or tail-length).

And talking of terminology; when does a copse become a wood? When does a wood become a forest? When does mist become fog? When does a shower become rain? When does a stream become a river? When does a pond become a lake?

And how long is a "session"? When an angler lives by the water for, say, two weeks (three weeks, four weeks etc.) and then has a catch attributed to him in "a single session"...!

Regards

Confused of Kent

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Diverse slightly on Jims comments. There's an argument/discussion on another site over session fishing and catch results.
i.e two say 40s one on monday afternoon and one tuesday morning......most class this as a brace of 40s........somehow i dont think so..........

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

But then for instance one could land a forty at 11:50pm photograph the fish, return it then land another forty at 12:15am (25minutes later but still another day) during a three day stint........would this class as a brace?????????????????

Nick A

Reaction score
Warren, i think a "brace" has to down to interpretation....

In game, a brace is easily defined because you physically retain the catch to take it home, a brace of pheasant, a brace of trout?...

But in coarse fishing i would call a brace a pair of fish caught in sucession.... thats where the interpretation is?...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jim,

Here are a few answers to your posed questions:)

A Copse only becomes one after the trees (either in a wood or grove) have been coppiced by cutting back.

A Wood is a dense growth of trees usually greater in extent than a grove but smaller than a forest.

A Forest is a dense growth of trees and underbrush covering a large tract, or is a tract of land formerly owned by the Sovereign and used for game.

As to how long is a "session" then judging from a few of my local lakes I'd have to say a session lasts from inception until death occurs - or the unemployment benefit people find you :)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Then how is it that there is a sign which proclaims "South Yorkshire Forest" as you enter Sheffield?

W

Woody (Cheeky Monkey)

Somewhere in there oh great "Tackle tart" Mr Jacobs, you missed out a "Spinney".

When does a copse become a spinney and when does a spinney become a wood.

And where have all the bodgers gone?