tapered shock leaders

A

Andy Lofthouse

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a tapered shockleader. I use them when I go carp fishing and they are rated to 45lb tapering to 18lb. Any advice would be useful
Thanks

J

jason fisher

absolutely none other than 45lb is too light for anything under 5oz.
drennan greased weezel 60lbers take some beating.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Grease Weasel is excellent line have been using it for over 5 years with now problems. If you are power casting then the rule of thumb is 10Ib for every ounce of lead plus 10Ib. With a 5oz lead this would give you 60Ib. You can go lighter if your just doing a gentle lob into the surf say for Bass.

It as been stated that when doing a full pendulm cast the lead is traveling as fast as a bullet. So safty first. I have personally seen leads travel over 500yds on the casting field when a crack of as occured.

M

michael rouse

I just use 45 or 50lb Diawa Sensor as a shock leader.

C

Chris Bishop

I used to use them, better for knotting up to the reel line and I'm sure they cast better than 40 or 50lbs straight through to the reel line.

They're quite pricey though, you get loads out of a 50yd spool of heavy mono.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
With regards to knot size. I use the blob knot. This is where you hold the end of the shock leader near a open flame this melts it and it backs up on itself creating the blob. You the tie your main line behind this with a grinner. flies through the eyes on the rod no problem.

C

Chris Bishop

Never tried that - just do an overhand knot in the thick stuff after threading the reel line through, pull it tight then pull the reel line through a bit so it's not weakened, then do a grinner.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I used that Chris for a long time before being introduced to the blob knot at a casting tornament. It's worth a look at.

C

Chris Bishop

I'll have a go, not sure I'd trust it - not that I ever catch much sea fishing.