Tench Baits: (Boilies,Pellets)

john step

Reaction score
Also protecting from the sun is in the news angling wise with Danny Fairbrass having skin cancer and his lymph nodes removed.

I swear by Boots Soltan which can come in factor 50 and has the added advantage of a choice with added insect repellent, which works.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Just thought I would mention, putting your trouser in your socks also helps when walking through long grass to stop ticks getting on your legs and biting, they can give you Lyme's disease.
And you don't encounter too many slimy bream in the long grass! Smidge is also effective against ticks, by the way.

Reaction score
I find when fishing at Christchurch I tuck my trousers in my socks,the mossies bite through the weave of the socks so I spray my socks around the ankles..m

Philip

Reaction score
Yes I used to spray my socks too...plus round the cuffs of my coat.

I went off Mozzie sprays however as I am not so happy with the health aspect of them. Its one of the reasons Avon SSS appeals as you would think(?) being a skin moisturizer it shouldnt be anything to worry about slapping it all over yourself ...however I really dont know. It could be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire....I keep meaning to look up whats actually in it.

Reaction score
I use sss,it works well but any sweating nullifies it quickly,then your fair game,wherever the coverage is lessened,that said I do use it,in my own county the mossies aren't a threat until dusk,down in Dorset they are a bloody pest throughout an afternoon/evening session,unless it's extremely hot and sunny,then it's the last hour....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I was trying to remember a natural repellent, so i googled it and it was lavender oil. Rub this in and I think it repels a lot of biting things but then it may attract bees not too mention the odd lbgt or whatever it is they call them these days. There are others though if you google it.

mikench

Reaction score
I have no idea why Avon Sss works but it seems to for me and my wife. Its worth a shot at around £4 a bottle and you can put one in your tackle bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I buy three,or six bottles at a time,as I believe they work out a few sheckels cheaper that way...

Old angler

Reaction score
I have a couple of weeks holiday in the south of Switzerland (Lago Maggiore) and can fish this area:

View attachment 16108

It is part of the Bolle di Magadino.

On previous visits I've seen a few big tench and I want to spend of couple of days targeting them.

Bait will be a problem as there are not many tackle shops in the area and I intend to take an assortment of pellets and boilies with me.

Any suggestions as to what might be worth trying?

At home I tend to stick with natural baits as far as possible but due to the high temperatures in the area keeping them fresh is always a problem.

Small baits like corn and maggot are immediately attacked by the hordes of mini roach and dace that also populate the area so was hoping pellets or boilies will be a bit more resilient to them.

The area is very lightly fished and they are certainly not used to artificials so any suggestions or tips very welcome.
If you want to stick with natural baits buy or collect worms, shred some newspaper and moisten it ( black ink only no coloured print) put paper and worms in a bait box with a perforated lid to ensure air supply, this gives them moisture oxygen and food,(they will eat newspaper), depending on what your wife says they can be kept in the fridge until needed to avoid over heating, brilliant bait for tench and a decent sized piece on the hook helps to avoid nuisance fish.

Keith M

Reaction score
I always used Avon ‘Skin so soft’ after being told about it by a Scottish Ghilly once and it works a treat.
If you’ve ever fished in Scotland during the warmer months you’ll know all about the mozzies there.

Keith

Old angler

Reaction score
Another good natural bait for tench and carp are cockles, I've used them for many years, the best are frozen but if you need them to stay fresh buy jars of pickled cockles just soak them in fresh water to get rid of the vinegar smell theyre also good bait for carp and perch and avoiding the nuisance fish