tested fishinglines

jan junge

Reaction score
I always test the fishinglines I buy, and I have the strong impression nobody else does! The results are realy impressing though. There is a tendency to mostly give up a diamter slightly less than the diameter I find by using a simple but reliable micrometer. So far so good. But when it comes to breakingstrain the results are devastating! Even when I don't count the breakings on the knot, there is in nylon lines at least an exagerration between 25 to 50%(!!) of what you will achieve on a simple testingdevice.
In Dyneema the figures on the blisters seem to have no fundation at all to reality. Marketingmanagers dream them up behind their pc's. You'r a lucky man when by testing you can get halve the figure on the spool.

Why in the world is there never a fishingmagzine (to my knowledge) that realy tests the claims a manufacturer makes??
And why in the world is there not an institute that gives on objective (DIN)
norm that is given on the spool?
Give us a tested maximum diameter and a tested minimum breakingstrain.
Can't be that difficult, can it???

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Check out the Tackle Box catalog. They have a comprehensive table of lines and braids with there correct diameters and breaking strains.

You should be able to order one from The Tackle Box

R

Rasmus Keis

Hello Jan

The danish anglers association has recently made the tests you ask for, including a test of different knots and their effects on breaking strains.

The most popular lines in DK are represented.

If you like I could give a summary.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The knot info would be very useful .

You could do a breif article and send it to Graham would get better coverage.

R

Rasmus Keis

Don't think the original author would approve of me stealing his article, but if someone would like some info on a specific line feel free to ask.

The general picture was this:

mono: great lines, are better than stated on the package.
braided: aren't as good as promised. Stated line diameters are crap.
knots(braided): dramatically reduces strenght, use not-a-knot or grinner, avoid palomar (this is actually the knot I use, but apparantly the line will cut itself, reducing the strenght by 50 percent).

R

Rasmus Keis

The problem only occurs with braided lines. Mostly I use 0.17 Fireline and with a palomar it will have same breaking strain as a good 0.25 mono, the same everybody used before the "super line" era.
So apparantly I have never reached the breaking point, so maybe I'll use a different knot anyway?!
But then again, the big advantage with braided lines (in my view) are their lack of stretch.