The barbel show 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks like it's going to be a miserable day weather wise on Sunday!
Do you really want to sit around in the cold and damp of a jubilee street party/fete when you could be in the comfort of an air conditioned hotel ?
No?
Well the Barbel Show at Hinckley could be your saviour, why not come along, only £10 on the door, you may get to chat to Dave Harrell, Phil Smith John Wilson and many more...including me. See you there

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with my maths Fred...tickets only available in advance then as I predicted on sale at the door on the day.

Now a plea to give up a day with the family celebrating our glorious Queens Diamond Jubilee it's a no brainer Fred.

The truth is there for all to see Fred.

Kind regards
Ray

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In everyday life it's called marketing Ray!

The daily mail approach to life has taken it's toll on you by the looks of it

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

......and this is what you do Ray, just in case you ever do something similar.:rolleyes:
You hire a room, you know the maximum capacity of that room. You sell as many tickets as you can direct to your public, this gives you an idea how close you can get to that capacity and what else you may need to do.
Finally, if there is space left, you sell them on the door. Simples

Last edited:

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
I don't read the daily mail Fred...fianacial times for me:)

You can dress it up what ever way you like...truth is you have struggled to sell tickets to the show for several years now. Once upon a time in a distant past when you had 1500 members tickets would never be sold on the door.

You keep on believing your own marketing propaganda...like I said you are not fooling Joe Public.

Have a good weekend at a half empty show...I will be partying with Frank Gallagher:):w:w:w:w

TFN
Ray

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Unofficial attendance count is 180 which is a real shame as it use to attract 500+.

The line up of speakers looked great and interesting, however how many people want to spend over £200 for a night at a hotel and a show in these trying times? The "offers" of bring the kids, on the door entrance, sauna for a cheap price were far too late to attract many, and the date chosen was inexplicable...

There is so much good work done by the BS regarding conservation and I admire Pete Readings efforts so much.

So why has it gone so badly wrong? Why the sad decline.

In the year I left over 35 of my pals resigned/left. Three of them committee members.

The Marketing, Communications and "front line" web face of the BS has over the past few years alienated so many potential members it needs to urgently look at the message it gives out to others. It also needs to censor it's web messages into a cohesive, unaggressive, sober (yes) approach.

Mind you I said that to Steve Pope 4 years ago before most of the major damage was done, mainly by one individuals pompous and arrogant approach to potential members and current members.

This individuals bombastic approach led directly, yes directly... to the formation of a new Barbel Group who's members now number many hundreds.

Sometimes an individuals personal support of the Chairman needs to be recognised as not enough, sacrificed and removed for the good of the Organisation.

It also needs to be honest with information to it's members. One of the Committee was removed for "inappropriate action " but it was 8 months before the change on the Committee was announced on the BS website.

It won't happen without honesty and realisation of the mistakes made and acted upon - without the balls to change things the BS will gradually become a non -entity without any clout in the fishing world.

It's nearly too late. But let the lack of support at the Show, tell the people that count, CHANGE NOW.

Graham

Last edited:
Reaction score
Moderator's Early Intervention

There is a very legitimate discussion of the general reasons for declining attendances at angling events.

However I have yet to read the detailed debates of the internal organisation and politics of Maidstone Victory and Medway Preservation Society or GOSJAC Angling Club on any fishing website I have viewed.(Apologies to both clubs -just using you as examples) And the massive club of which I am a member, as are a goodly number of regular posters, would act instantly and terminally if I were to reveal even the number of sugar lumps the Chairperson has in his tea!!

So debate the general issues. If it gets organisationally or personally specific we'll pull the plug.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Graham

You are, unfortunately, banging your head against a brick wall.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
A fantastic show, one of the very best we have ever put on and as I've attended every single one I say that with some authority.

If you were not there you missed out but don't worry, I'll be sitting at the computer tomorrow typing up my own personal thoughts and recollections of a very special day for my next Fishing Magic Diary.

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Just got in from our street party...a fantastic day had by everyone in celebration of Queen Elizabeth 11 sixty years as our sovereign god bless her.

All the kids loved every minute their happy faces made it all worthwhile a day that makes me proud to be British.

The weather did not dampen anyone's spirits just the opposite made everything seem more British.
No doubt in my mind that no show could have been better...or the place to be.

I have no doubt the usual spin will be put out regarding what a great show was put on in Leicestershire heard it all before. Some may fall for it I am sure I won't and I suspect neither will Mr Elliott...as for diary's I won't be reading any.

God bless Queen Elizabeth...hip hip hooray

TFN

Ray

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For those who want their own spin on anything and like to compare chalk and cheese, we had a sellout show no matter what they may say about spin.

Members and guests pleased, traders more than pleased. Speakers very good and pleased with the reception they received.

The overnight is expensive, so some can't afford to turn it into a pisshead night like they used to.

There are plenty of B&B's about in very close proximity if you book early enough.

So here's to next years event. Come and see it,make your own mind up.

---------- Post added at 10:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

As for Mr Elliotts diatribe, you may have all seen how he used the Society, if not I'll steer you there. He got caught out so now spreads his gospel to the unaware.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
we had a sellout show no matter what they may say about spin.
COLOR="Silver"]

Congratulations Fred and well done. To get 400 there on the day, in this economic climate is no mean feat, so very well done to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.