The Blood Knot.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I am in the same stuation as the OP. I learned to tie the seven turn 1/2 blood and tuck when I was in my youth. Try as I might, I can't seem to be able to learn or even tie ONCE any of the others (except the Palomar). I have tried, even to the point of being reduced to tears of frustration.
I have ended using a swivel and tying blood knots to that. Obviously useless if I need for the join to pass through the eyes of the rod.
There is a wonderful chap on You-Tube, who calls himself Andrew's Knots (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1_RavlUpgmdg53gZ78JZTw). Despite the name, he seems to use 'the perfection loop' for virtually every purpose. I was thinking of trying to learn that and have done with it.
ps. My attempts so far have been in a warm room, with a proper intense-daylight reading lamp, forceps, magnifying glass, heavy(ish) lines, inc flouro, braid and mono, etc etc.
I have a nail-knot tool, and have failed to acheive an acceptable knot with that.
The idea of tying ie 2lb bs mono to 4lb flouro on the bankside, in the dark with cold hands etc, is an impossible dream.
How do other elderly and arthritic types manage?
pps, I am not THAT elderly, (59), nor am I actually arthritic.
But I am in genuine despair!

The perfection loop knot was popularised in this country by Dave Chilton who used to post on here at one time as The Bone Collector. He was the owner and founder and owner of Kryston. A mate taught it to me on a trip to the Severn some years ago. I’ve used it ever since. Most knots are easiest to learn with someone actually showing you but you can learn them from video clips or diagrams. I learnt a new knot recently, well new to me at least and that was the Albright knot. It’s for tying braid to fluorocarbon line. There are other slightly stronger knots for this purpose but I wouldn’t fancy tying them on the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spenbeck

Reaction score
You usually find a blood knot lets you down when attached to a swivel. If the line is too small for the gauge of metal in the ring - it will slip.