THE CENTRE PIN thread - everything I wanted to know but was too afraid to ask

laguna

Reaction score
Those reels used to go on Chesterfield flea market and car boot stalls for less than a fiver pre-eBay. I've had quite a few and they are too heavy for normal use in the bigger sizes and need too much backing, but generally are smooth running.

There was a Bakelite reel made a few miles from you that is a useable reel for ledgering as it has a ratchet and adjustable drag. I can't for the life of me remember the maker's name but I'm sure that they were made in or around Bradford. They can be had for around twenty notes.

Des lives around the corner.... he would have probably snapped it up if it was such a bargain.

Assuming you mean the handles are bakelite? One here closer to home for £15 that has a bakelite handle (broken off) though no makers name provided. Preloved | vintage wood & brass fly fishing reel for sale in Leeds, Methley, West Yorkshire

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Last edited:

Windy

Reaction score
Blimey.... had to come in from the lake, feeling a bit spacey after sitting out in the blinding sunshine, even with sunfactor 35, hat and Oakleys on*.

Posting on this thread tho 'cos I was and haz been using my recently acquired Mario Bros Cortesi centre pin reel for the last couple of days.

Last time I used a centre pin it was an absolutely dire piece of spelter **** dragged up from a junk shop somewhere when I was about 11 and just graduating from the bent pin and stickleback stage. Boy oh boy was I glad to get away from that atrocity when I graduated to my first Intrepid Black Prince, and I have (until now) never looked back since, nor had the least twinge of late middle aged nostalgia for the supposed better days of times gone past.

However....

I was most favourably impressed at the LIF fish-in this year by the way in which the CP boys, Maidmarion and Barbelgoy in particular, made a far far better fist of trotting - and especially long trotting - than I could manage with even my favourite Mitchell Quartz fixed spool reel.

Hmmmm....

Then reviewed the threads about how cheap the Mario Bros reels are, how freespinning. Temptation was conceived and fulfilment delivered on a cheeky last minute egay bid for a tenner :D (Yep, unused and perfect for a tenner, read 'em and weep ;)).

Soooo....

have I used it as intended on running water as yet ? Nope, that would be far too obviously the sensible thing to do. I have instead been trying it out and learning to use it on the lakes opposite the front door :) for the last couple of days and today.

Stillwaters, but none the less enjoyable for all that, bite a chuck and away from the horrified public gaze at my feeble efforts, tangles and round the reel foot moments.

Must say I have enjoyed it. The main difference has been the sense and feeling of immediacy and direct contact playing with the fish with light tackle (Garbolino Squad Picker 9 foot). Not had anything larger than a three pound Crucian and Tench on it yet, but both a real challenge to play and land and a very much more tactile experience throughout the fight to the net than the fixed spool.

Next stop (probably later this evening come to think of it, when the sun has gone in a bit) try it on a bit of running water. And, I suspect, tangle and swear a lot. Then on to some of the big old girls in the Carp lake (opposite and to the right a bit ;)).

Don't think I will ever take it up as permanent go to choice, especially for stillwater float fishing, that remains the territory of my beloved and incomparable Mitchells, but well worth the experiment and I have enjoyed it. Will continue to practise on heavy running water - my Achilles heel - with a view to trying to make a better fist of the LIF next winter. Roll on !

Mario good, does the job. Would like the Mk11 with line guard better I think, but only if another egay punt comes up unexpected trumps, (or someone who doesn't like their line guard would offer a swap ?).

Certainly not worth spending the hundreds of quid the tackle tarts spend on fabled creations of mist, light and fairy gold. But since when has any TT equipment of any type been worth it... :wh Except as works of art, the real province of such things as the Bugatti Veyron, Maserati Ghibli Spider and spindly windly centre pinny thingys from the golden age.

Rambling I know, definitely a touch of the sun. Now for a couple hours kip before venturing out to Shalford I think, I know a perfect little down the side swim there that should work for the pin....

(* must confess to a wee bit of ginge blood in the family, so not so good in the sun - don't tell Daywalker, he'll never let me live it down if there is even a smidgeon of genetic DNA connection between us)

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Windy - put the line guard down now and walk away from it! Back off from that line guard. Do you hear? Don't touch it!

For a circle with the index finger and thumb of your reel hand (not your real hand the one you wind in with). That is your line guard. Nothing else. Just that. And if line goes round the reel foot don't pull the line as hard when you cast.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm another that dosen't use a line guard out of personal preference - You'll be quite an expert then Evan for the next LIF do later in the year.............

Windy

Reaction score
You'll be quite an expert then Evan for the next LIF do later in the year.............

You dirty rotten swine, you know that any such boasting will be met with disaster by the Gods.... I now fully anticipate being swept downriver floating on my back with the rain pouring into my ashen face whilst clutching in vain at the locked up reel and rod being towed by a lost white shark :eek:

Or similar :wh

Mind you, whilst fuddling about with the 'pin I haven't been troubled too much by the rain.... maybe the powers that be feel that my errors are sufficient punishment. Then again, more thunder and lightning is forecast. Still time to end up as a burn out by the side of the river :eek:mg:

barbelboi

Reaction score
And don't forget you're on a hat trick at LIF - hasn't rained the last couple of times............:)

laguna

Reaction score

Windy

Reaction score
And don't forget you're on a hat trick at LIF - hasn't rained the last couple of times............:)

True this last year, still shocked at the fact (have the weather Gods lost interest in me ? :confused:) but the year before, aren't you forgetting the -20 windchill and driving blizzard that drove us into the arms of Hypothermia :eek: (nice girl, for a Greek) ? Or was that the year before....

nicepix

Reaction score
Thanks Clive, good find and well remembered, Ive sent the link to a Bradfordian mate who collects (and uses) old piscatorial stuff :w

No problem. I used to collect old centrepins many years ago. There was a flea market in Chesterfield (on a Thursdays I think) and you could pick up useable reels for a couple of quid to a fiver and those only suitable for collecting could be less than that with some canny dealing. I also used to trawl Barnsley flea market on a Tuesdays and pick up reels. I had about forty or so at one time and used some of them including the ELO model.

I sold the collection to another enthusiast a few years before the prices went barmy :( I've kept a Trudex, Match Aerial and Adcocks Stanton though and still use them all.

Regards the ELO reel; I unearthed this post from SeanM who is from Bradford and posts on the TTFF:

Looks like an ELO reel. These were made by Birkby's of Liversedge in West Yorkshire just down the road from me. ELO stands for epoxidised linseed oil which is the resin they were moulded from. These thermosetting resins, commonly known as Bakelite, were all the rage in the 1930s. Birkby's started making tram dashboards and eventually moved into motor car dashboards. They lasted until 2012 when the current recession finally finished them off.

These reels normally had the letters ELO moulded on to the back plate so maybe it was made by another company.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Well I certainly haven't forgotten Fimbulwinter nor am I ever likely to. I dont honestly think I have ever been colder. :eek:mg:

That was Noah weather with the added bonus of four seasons in a morning - rain - torrential rain, hail, snow, blizzard +7C when we started at 8ish and +2C when I/we ****ed off at 2pm - I still shiver when I look at the Pic you posted Skip..............
cold-breath.gif

laguna

Reaction score
No problem. I used to collect old centrepins many years ago. There was a flea market in Chesterfield (on a Thursdays I think) and you could pick up useable reels for a couple of quid to a fiver and those only suitable for collecting could be less than that with some canny dealing. I also used to trawl Barnsley flea market on a Tuesdays and pick up reels. I had about forty or so at one time and used some of them including the ELO model.

I sold the collection to another enthusiast a few years before the prices went barmy :( I've kept a Trudex, Match Aerial and Adcocks Stanton though and still use them all.

Regards the ELO reel; I unearthed this post from SeanM who is from Bradford and posts on the TTFF:

Thanks I tracked down that post, not sure its entirely correct though because Bakelite was (and still is) made with phenolic resins not linseed/flaxseed which is a drying oil, although that too can be polymerised to make various products most notably linoleum (oilcloth/lino), Ill look further into that. But still interesting regards the company Birkby's of Liversedge cheers.

edit: ELO used as a plasticiser, presumably to counter the brittleness of Bakelite.

Last edited:

dan305

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I brought one of the Cortesi 'pins that dragon were selling cheap and used it for the first time last week. I loved every second of it, all the horror stories about casting and tangles were quickly diminished and yeah ok I had the odd tangle and bum cast but it was one of the most enjoyable days fishing I've had for a long time.

That said, I'll still use my shimanos for lead work mainly because I can't afford another reel just yet but for trotting I'll never use a fixed spool again.